Public Folder / PUB.EDB problem

Post by Michel van der Laa » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

We have a PUB.EDB that's 2,5gb, by deleting a Public Folder of 1,6gb the
PUB.EDB still doesn't give the 1,6gb free. We have run eseutil /d, after
this the pub.edb still is 2,1gb !! What can we do to get the freespace in de
PUB.EDB?

Also performance of a new public folder with 12000 items runs down from 4
seconds for opening a contact to 40 seconds for opening a contact !!

 We run 5.5/SP2 on NT4/SP5.

Inter Commerce bv

Michel van der Laan

Public Folder / PUB.EDB problem

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> We have a PUB.EDB that's 2,5gb, by deleting a Public Folder of 1,6gb the
> PUB.EDB still doesn't give the 1,6gb free. We have run eseutil /d, after
> this the pub.edb still is 2,1gb !! What can we do to get the freespace in de
> PUB.EDB?

This question (or with the same figures) was asked and answered some time ago.
I do not know whether it is you, msnews.microsoft.com or something different.

Quote:

--
Questions will not be answered via e-mail.

Public Folder / PUB.EDB problem

Post by Fast Eddi » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

You free up space in pub.edb but the file size will not decrease. You just
free up the space and then you have that space to use but it will not grow
until you reach the 2.5 GB file size.

-Ed

Post by Rich Matheis » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>We have a PUB.EDB that's 2,5gb, by deleting a Public Folder of 1,6gb the
>PUB.EDB still doesn't give the 1,6gb free. We have run eseutil /d, after
>this the pub.edb still is 2,1gb !! What can we do to get the freespace in de
>PUB.EDB?

>Also performance of a new public folder with 12000 items runs down from 4
>seconds for opening a contact to 40 seconds for opening a contact !!

> We run 5.5/SP2 on NT4/SP5.

Do you have Deleted Item Retention enabled on the Public Information
Store or on the deleted folder, or on the folder to which the deleted
folder was subordinate? If so, use the "Tools | Recover delted
items..." menu on a MAPI client and remove the deleted items
permanently.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Public Folder / PUB.EDB problem

Post by Michel van der Laa » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Thanks for your reaction, but when I backup the PUB.EDB I backup the whole
PUB.EDB uncluding the freespace !!

> You free up space in pub.edb but the file size will not decrease. You just
> free up the space and then you have that space to use but it will not grow
> until you reach the 2.5 GB file size.

> -Ed

> >We have a PUB.EDB that's 2,5gb, by deleting a Public Folder of 1,6gb the
> >PUB.EDB still doesn't give the 1,6gb free. We have run eseutil /d, after
> >this the pub.edb still is 2,1gb !! What can we do to get the freespace in
> de
> >PUB.EDB?

> >Also performance of a new public folder with 12000 items runs down from 4
> >seconds for opening a contact to 40 seconds for opening a contact !!

> > We run 5.5/SP2 on NT4/SP5.

> >Inter Commerce bv

> >Michel van der Laan

Public Folder / PUB.EDB problem

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Mon, 16 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Then read
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q192/1/85.asp

Quote:> Thanks for your reaction, but when I backup the PUB.EDB I backup the whole

--
Questions will not be answered via e-mail.

1. Public Folder / PUB.EDB problem

We have a PUB.EDB that's 2,5gb, by deleting a Public Folder of 1,6gb the
PUB.EDB still doesn't give the 1,6gb free. We have run eseutil /d, after
this the pub.edb still is 2,1gb !! What can we do to get the freespace in de
PUB.EDB?

Also performance of a new public folder with 12000 items runs down from 4
seconds for opening a contact to 40 seconds for opening a contact !!

 We run 5.5/SP2 on NT4/SP5.

Inter Commerce bv

Michel van der Laan

2. E2K SMTP Queue Growth Monitor Broken ?

3. importing the PUB.EDB (one public folder!!)

4. Setting up exchange

5. lost public folder pub.edb

6. 5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote Host

7. Problems restoring priv.edb and pub.edb

8. Internal message size limit.

9. Problem restoring priv.edb and pub.edb

10. How to recreate priv.edb, pub.edb and dir.edb

11. Copied PRIV.EDB, PUB.EDB AND DIR.EDB from old exchange to new machine

12. Backup - skipped files dir.edb priv.edb pub.edb

13. pub.edb, priv.edb, dir.edb