Strange event log entry

Post by Larry Frase » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 23:25:25

Our Exchange server - also our PDC, crashed a couple of days ago.  Since
restarting the server, I'm getting a lot ( every 1/2 hour or so) of event
log(system) entries.
Source:    NETLOGON
Catagory:    None
Event ID:    5715
domain controller \\servername completed successfully. 2 changes are applied
to the database.
This is showing up on both BDC's.
On the PDC, I'm getting a corresponding entry
Source:    NETLOGON
Catagory:    None
Event ID:    5711
completed successfully.  2 changes have been returned to the caller.
My question is why are we getting these entries referring to the link state
algorithm all of a sudden, and why are the entries so frequent?
Running 5.5 SP3 on NT4 SP5
Thanks

Strange event log entry

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 00:27:29

This is not related to Exchange Server at all.
Search Knowledge Base of event ID's to get explanation or refer to one of
windows NT newsgroups.

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so.

Kirill

Strange event log entry

Post by Amiri Jone » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 00:37:29

    These log entries have NOTHING to do with Exchange.  Their source is the
Netlogon service.  What you are seeing is merely an informational message
indicating that the PDC and BDCs are successfully synchronizing changes in
the LSA (Local Security Authority) database; it is 100 percent NORMAL.
IIRC, 30 minutes is the default schedule for synchronization.  As far as why
they're showing up suddenly, when they weren't in the past, I would suspect
a setting somewhere got changed.  Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you where
that change is.  Try searching the Knowledge Base (try using the search
terms Netlogon and 5715) and see if anything turns up.

Quote:> Our Exchange server - also our PDC, crashed a couple of days ago.  Since
> restarting the server, I'm getting a lot ( every 1/2 hour or so) of event
> log(system) entries.
> Source:    NETLOGON
> Catagory:    None
> Event ID:    5715
primary
> domain controller \\servername completed successfully. 2 changes are
applied
> to the database.
> This is showing up on both BDC's.
> On the PDC, I'm getting a corresponding entry
> Source:    NETLOGON
> Catagory:    None
> Event ID:    5711
> completed successfully.  2 changes have been returned to the caller.
> My question is why are we getting these entries referring to the link
state
> algorithm all of a sudden, and why are the entries so frequent?
> Running 5.5 SP3 on NT4 SP5
> Thanks

Strange event log entry

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 11:31:55

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>My question is why are we getting these entries referring to the link state
>algorithm all of a sudden, and why are the entries so frequent?

As others have already pointed out, the Events you quoted have nothing
to do with Exchange. However, nowhere in those events did I see any
mention of "link state algorithms".

Is it possible you've posted the wrong log entries? Or did you
mistaken ask about "link state agorithms"? Since you're not running
Exchange 2000, the link-state messages may be coming from RRAS.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Outlook entries in Exchange event log.

Suppose the following event log entries (not consecutive) were made for a given
user on the exchange server event log:

..
<date, time>    MSExchange IS PrivateSuccess Audit Logons ####N/A <machine>
NT User DOMAIN\<user1> logged on to <user2> mailbox, and is not the Primary
Windows NT Account on this mailbox
..
<date only> PMMSE    gelS PrivateSuccess Audit Logons ####N/A <machine>NT Use
DOMAIN\<user1> logged on to <user3> mailbox, and is not the Primary Windows NT
Account on this mailbox
..
<date only> AMMSE    gelS PrivateSuccess Audit Logons ####N/A <machine>NT Use
DOMAIN\<user1> logged on to <user4> mailbox, and is not the Primary Windows NT
Account on this mailbox
..

Could someone tell me:

1. What action(s) <user1> could have taken from Microsoft Outlook in order for
these events to be logged:
   For example, could they have been made when <user1> simply clicked on one of
a given other user's appointments bar, ie. to display with what that other user
was busy during this scheduled time period?
   If not, what would the log entry show if this were the case?
   Does such an entry, on the contrary, say that <user1> viewed other user's
mail, or any information other than what can be obtained by simply clicking on
the public appointment information?

2. What if <user3> is actually the name of a conference room - does "mail box"
mean that the only way a conference room can appear like this is if it is set up
just like another user?

3. Is the difference in the "gelS" entries simply because MSE is operating in a
different mode? What is the difference?

Thanks very much,
Bob

2. ISINTEG Warnings

3. NNTP Event Log Entries

4. Other Users Folders

5. NDR's and Event Log entries

6. OWA and SSL Security

7. Event log entries

8. LDAP server identity

9. Entry in Event log

10. Outlook entries in Exchange event log.

11. How to turn of event log entry??

12. Application Event Log Entry

13. Event Log Entry