How does IFS work?

Post by Joco » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 12:15:29

Can anybody shed light on this IFS thing? M: drive?....

thanks....

How does IFS work?

Post by AI » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 17:48:17

Hello,

Installable File System (IFS) is a  storage technology that functions as a
filing system. It makes mailboxes and public folders available as
traditional folders and files through standard Win32 processes, such as
Microsoft Internet Explorer and the command prompt.

The M drive is there when exchange is running therefore if you do not have
the M drive visible it means that the information store of exchange is not
up and running.  Therefore first of all check out your services and if they
do not go up check out the event viewer to troubleshoot them.

On a server running Exchange you can map the M:\ drive as a network drive.
Users can map local drives to any folder or mailbox in the IFS hierarchy.
After local drives are mapped, they can be shared to give other users access
to the databases.
The default IFS hierarchy contains the domain and two folders, as follows:
 \domain name
   \Public Folders
   \Mbx

Please refer to "How Installable File System Generates the Domain Name
(Q259589)" at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q259589.

Regards,
Intermedia.NET (AI)
Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider
Providing expertise in hosting applications
MS Exchange Hosting: http://www.intermedia.net/exchangehosting
Windows 2000 Web Hosting:  http://www.intermedia.net/webhosting
For a waiver of the set up fee use "IMFREE" code

Quote:> Can anybody shed light on this IFS thing? M: drive?....

> thanks....

How does IFS work?

Post by Bill Englis » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 22:07:21

/shameless plug

Joco - purchase a copy of the book I co-authored:  Exchange 2000 Server
Administrator's Companion, Microsoft Press.

I wrote chapter 2 on the architectue of the Extensible Storage Engine.  Your
question is answered there.

/end shameless plug

--
Bill English
See you at the MCT Conference!

Quote:> Can anybody shed light on this IFS thing? M: drive?....

> thanks....

How does IFS work?

Post by Jordan Mill » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 23:54:24

Top-posted, yeah, I know sorry.

That's pretty cool.  NOW what I want to know is if someone has (or if it's
possible to) program a driver that uses IFS to point to an ISO (CDROM image
file) and make it look like an actual drive - mount the ISO like a local CD.
 -- Jordan

> Hello,

> Installable File System (IFS) is a  storage technology that functions as a
> filing system. It makes mailboxes and public folders available as
> traditional folders and files through standard Win32 processes, such as
> Microsoft Internet Explorer and the command prompt.

> The M drive is there when exchange is running therefore if you do not have
> the M drive visible it means that the information store of exchange is not
> up and running.  Therefore first of all check out your services and if
they
> do not go up check out the event viewer to troubleshoot them.

> On a server running Exchange you can map the M:\ drive as a network drive.
> Users can map local drives to any folder or mailbox in the IFS hierarchy.
> After local drives are mapped, they can be shared to give other users
access
> to the databases.
> The default IFS hierarchy contains the domain and two folders, as follows:
>  \domain name
>    \Public Folders
>    \Mbx

> Please refer to "How Installable File System Generates the Domain Name
> (Q259589)" at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q259589.

> Regards,
> Intermedia.NET (AI)
> Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider
> Providing expertise in hosting applications
> MS Exchange Hosting: http://www.intermedia.net/exchangehosting
> Windows 2000 Web Hosting:  http://www.intermedia.net/webhosting
> For a waiver of the set up fee use "IMFREE" code

> > Can anybody shed light on this IFS thing? M: drive?....

> > thanks....

How does IFS work?

Post by Joco » Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:23:31

Thanks, I saw my M: drive but i just still don't understand the usefulness
of this feature.

> Hello,

> Installable File System (IFS) is a  storage technology that functions as a
> filing system. It makes mailboxes and public folders available as
> traditional folders and files through standard Win32 processes, such as
> Microsoft Internet Explorer and the command prompt.

> The M drive is there when exchange is running therefore if you do not have
> the M drive visible it means that the information store of exchange is not
> up and running.  Therefore first of all check out your services and if
they
> do not go up check out the event viewer to troubleshoot them.

> On a server running Exchange you can map the M:\ drive as a network drive.
> Users can map local drives to any folder or mailbox in the IFS hierarchy.
> After local drives are mapped, they can be shared to give other users
access
> to the databases.
> The default IFS hierarchy contains the domain and two folders, as follows:
>  \domain name
>    \Public Folders
>    \Mbx

> Please refer to "How Installable File System Generates the Domain Name
> (Q259589)" at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q259589.

> Regards,
> Intermedia.NET (AI)
> Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider
> Providing expertise in hosting applications
> MS Exchange Hosting: http://www.intermedia.net/exchangehosting
> Windows 2000 Web Hosting:  http://www.intermedia.net/webhosting
> For a waiver of the set up fee use "IMFREE" code

> > Can anybody shed light on this IFS thing? M: drive?....

> > thanks....

How does IFS work?

Post by Paul Stellmac » Sun, 20 Jan 2002 01:10:31

How about storing your home directory there ? Or using enabling users
working from within office apps and save their work in the public folders as
if they were file system shares ? Just example. One thing is worth to
remember. There cam be small problems when mixing MAPI ACLs and the ususal
files systems ACLs.

/Paul

> Thanks, I saw my M: drive but i just still don't understand the usefulness
> of this feature.

> > Hello,

> > Installable File System (IFS) is a  storage technology that functions as
> > filing system. It makes mailboxes and public folders available as
> > traditional folders and files through standard Win32 processes, such as
> > Microsoft Internet Explorer and the command prompt.

> > The M drive is there when exchange is running therefore if you do not
have
> > the M drive visible it means that the information store of exchange is
not
> > up and running.  Therefore first of all check out your services and if
> they
> > do not go up check out the event viewer to troubleshoot them.

> > On a server running Exchange you can map the M:\ drive as a network
drive.
> > Users can map local drives to any folder or mailbox in the IFS
hierarchy.
> > After local drives are mapped, they can be shared to give other users
> access
> > to the databases.
> > The default IFS hierarchy contains the domain and two folders, as
follows:
> >  \domain name
> >    \Public Folders
> >    \Mbx

> > Please refer to "How Installable File System Generates the Domain Name
> > (Q259589)" at
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q259589.

> > Regards,
> > Intermedia.NET (AI)
> > Microsoft Certified Solutions Provider
> > Providing expertise in hosting applications
> > MS Exchange Hosting: http://www.intermedia.net/exchangehosting
> > Windows 2000 Web Hosting:  http://www.intermedia.net/webhosting
> > For a waiver of the set up fee use "IMFREE" code

> > > Can anybody shed light on this IFS thing? M: drive?....

> > > thanks....

How does IFS work?

Post by Dan Steven » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 06:09:13

Ohh yeah,

I have installed a second tree and loaded my software collection into
:)   -16 gigs    IFS Rules

-Dan