easier way to test restore procedure?

Post by DB » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 02:57:17

I want to do a restore trial run to make sure everything is working
correctly, familiarize myself, etc.  Can I restore to the same server
without harming the current/working databases or is an offline restore
required?

Scenario:  This is in a lab environment already and the 120 day evaluation
period expired on exchange 2000.  I'm currently working with a trial SQL
2000 install and I need exchange running so SQL can send alerts, etc.  I
have one mailbox and one public folder store on the exchange server so I was
wondering if I could restore a backup to a separate store to test the
backup/restore before I uninstall / reinstall exchange. (I could rebuild
exchange entirely but I would rather keep all my configuration settings if
possible)

... I wish these trial versions lasted longer & service packs were
applicable.  Only a few more tests to go!!

- David

Post by MVP » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:53:26

http://www.exchangeadmin.com/Articles/Index.cfm?Action=USPrint&IssueI...

--
John Oliver, Jr.
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP

Quote:> I want to do a restore trial run to make sure everything is working
> correctly, familiarize myself, etc.  Can I restore to the same server
> without harming the current/working databases or is an offline restore
> required?

> Scenario:  This is in a lab environment already and the 120 day evaluation
> period expired on exchange 2000.  I'm currently working with a trial SQL
> 2000 install and I need exchange running so SQL can send alerts, etc.  I
> have one mailbox and one public folder store on the exchange server so I
was
> wondering if I could restore a backup to a separate store to test the
> backup/restore before I uninstall / reinstall exchange. (I could rebuild
> exchange entirely but I would rather keep all my configuration settings if
> possible)

> ... I wish these trial versions lasted longer & service packs were
> applicable.  Only a few more tests to go!!

> - David

easier way to test restore procedure?

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:26:50

Build a recovery server and restore there. It doesn't have to be a
super-*-swingin' machine - can be a workstation PC gussied up.

Quote:> I want to do a restore trial run to make sure everything is working
> correctly, familiarize myself, etc.  Can I restore to the same server
> without harming the current/working databases or is an offline restore
> required?

> Scenario:  This is in a lab environment already and the 120 day evaluation
> period expired on exchange 2000.  I'm currently working with a trial SQL
> 2000 install and I need exchange running so SQL can send alerts, etc.  I
> have one mailbox and one public folder store on the exchange server so I
was
> wondering if I could restore a backup to a separate store to test the
> backup/restore before I uninstall / reinstall exchange. (I could rebuild
> exchange entirely but I would rather keep all my configuration settings if
> possible)

> ... I wish these trial versions lasted longer & service packs were
> applicable.  Only a few more tests to go!!

> - David

1. Best ways to backup and restore Exchange 2000

Can someone point me to some updated articles on how to backup Exchange
2000, and how to restore?

I've been reading conflicting views:

1. Can or cannot NTBackup do online backups? My backups always reports
pub1.edb and priv1.edb as "skipped" (on a Win2000 SP2 server and Exchange
2000 SP server). What else needs to be backed up? What is the difference
between the M: drive being backed up, the information store, and the
database files in C:? Do they ALL have to be backed up to get a successful
retore?

2. Is there any documentation on restoring a) when just some mailboxes need
to be restored b) when Exchange has stopped functioning and needs to be
restored (re-installed?) c) when the whole server or HDD crashes and
everything needs to be restored.

I can only find this boring reference from Microsoft
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q258/2/43.ASP?LN=EN-...
n&FR=0

Thanks.

Jo

2. Information store size

3. Testing Recovery Procedures

4. POP3 user unable to logon to mailbox

5. Y2K Testing Procedures

6. BASE 64 and MS Exchange

7. Developing, Testing, and Production Procedures for Exchange 5.5 / SP1

8. NDR's again.

9. Disaster Recovery - I need to create damage in InfoStore to test recovery procedures

10. Unable to mount Mailbox Store after Proper restore procedure followed

11. BackUp/Restore procedures.

12. Arcserve 2000 and Exchange 5.5 Restore procedure

13. Restoring Exchange Failing - PLEASE CHECK MY PROCEDURE.