Remote administer Remote Admin for Exchange 2000.

Remote administer Remote Admin for Exchange 2000.

Post by Jay Ruyl » Thu, 28 Aug 2003 03:41:16

How do you get the exchange administrative tools installed with only mailbox
maintenance features and have no additional access like manipulating the
information stores, configuring pop/smtp/etc.... services?

Jay

Post by Mark Arnold [MVP » Thu, 28 Aug 2003 15:23:13

>How do you get the exchange administrative tools installed with only mailbox
>maintenance features and have no additional access like manipulating the
>information stores, configuring pop/smtp/etc.... services?

>Jay

Assign the appropriate rights on the objects and the untrusted
administrator will only be able to modify those settings that he is
permitted to.

Remote administer Remote Admin for Exchange 2000.

Post by Jay Ruyl » Fri, 29 Aug 2003 00:03:04

Ok,

Can someone sumerize the steps are needed to do this (assign rights to
objects)?

Setup is:
8 users in IT
2 are full administrators able to access everything
1 with close to full administrator access
5 need ability to maintain users w/ mailboxes and not everything in exchange
system manager.

There are 200+ users which are in the office and some remote users outside
accessing resources via a VPN.

The person trying to figure it out says every user (to him an object) needs
to be edited in the business to do this but I know there is another way and
just cant figure it out since I dont have his resources to the server.

All IT user computers are using Windows XP.  Some workstations used by users
(not IT) are using Windows 98, 2000, and XP.  The servers are running
Windows 2000 Server.

Jay

> >How do you get the exchange administrative tools installed with only
mailbox
> >maintenance features and have no additional access like manipulating the
> >information stores, configuring pop/smtp/etc.... services?

> >Jay

> Assign the appropriate rights on the objects and the untrusted
> administrator will only be able to modify those settings that he is
> permitted to.

> FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm &
> http:http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq.htm

1. Using Remote AD to administer Exchange 2000

I have the remote administration tools installed on a Win2k Pro box
and I use them to reset users' passwords, etc.

I've now installed Exchange 2000 on a Win2k server (NOT a DC) and I
would like to use my 2k Pro box to administer mailboxes.  However, the
Exchange Tools and tabs are not available.

Anything I can do to make them available on my Win2k box?

2. Create Mailbox via commandline

4. Creating new BodyPart from stream

5. Help!!! Exchange 2000 Remote Admin

6. Using Non-U.S. Clients on Domestic (U.S.) Server

7. Remote administer Exchange 5.5

8. Custom Messages Question

9. Remote administer Exchange

10. Administering Remote Sites (no direct connection)

11. Problem Administering Remote Site

12. Administering remote domain