Netshield 4.5 for Windows NT & 2000

Post by Paul Silve » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 23:47:04

I have encountered a problem with our exchange server,
running NT4 Exchange 5.5.
Every so often, the netshield will generate a Dr Watson
error and shut the service down. This seems to happen
every 1-3 days. Restarting Netshield is as simple as
restarting the service, but it is quite worrying that it
does that unexpectedly. I went looking through the Mcafee
website, and they said they were aware of this problem and
released a patch for it. I have applied this "Patch" and
lo and behold, still happens. Looking through the event
viewer, I noticed that sometimes the edb.log file causes
an application log in event viewer. The event viewer says
that the file had exceeded the scanning timeout of
35000ms. Has anyone else encountered this problem and if
so has anyone been able to overcome this? I am not an
exchange wiz, so any help would be grateful, thanks for
reading this thread.
Paul

Netshield 4.5 for Windows NT & 2000

Post by chad » Thu, 06 Mar 2003 01:14:45

You should exclude Exchange files from your file level virus scan.
Netsheild should not be scanning anything in exchsrvr\mdbdata,
exchsrvr\imcdata, exchsrvr\mtadata for example.

Do you have the Exchange aware Groupsheild installed?

Quote:> I have encountered a problem with our exchange server,
> running NT4 Exchange 5.5.
> Every so often, the netshield will generate a Dr Watson
> error and shut the service down. This seems to happen
> every 1-3 days. Restarting Netshield is as simple as
> restarting the service, but it is quite worrying that it
> does that unexpectedly. I went looking through the Mcafee
> website, and they said they were aware of this problem and
> released a patch for it. I have applied this "Patch" and
> lo and behold, still happens. Looking through the event
> viewer, I noticed that sometimes the edb.log file causes
> an application log in event viewer. The event viewer says
> that the file had exceeded the scanning timeout of
> 35000ms. Has anyone else encountered this problem and if
> so has anyone been able to overcome this? I am not an
> exchange wiz, so any help would be grateful, thanks for
> reading this thread.
> Paul

1. SBS 4.5 - Windows 2000 + Exchange 2000 Migration

We have an SBS 4.5 server which ultimately we need to migrate to a
Windows 2000 server running Exchange 2000.

I understand that there is no way to install Active Directory on SBS
4.5 and that there is no way to upgrade SBS 4.5 to Windows 2000
server.

I think that the only path available to us is to upgrade SBS 4.5 to
SBS 2000. Is it then possible to deploy another Windows 2000 server
into the domain and use the "move mailbox" tool in Active Directory to
move the mailboxes over to the Windows 2000 server, then retire the
original SBS server ?

If this isnt possible, please suggest any possible solutions to this
problem !

Thanks !

2. IFS files in MDBData directory

3. exchange and windows nt sbs 4.5 hangs (help)

4. URGENT: recover deleted mailbox?

5. Backoffice 4.5 onto Windows 2000 Server (2nd DC on same domain)

6. Event log says.....

7. Move Exchange 5.5 from SBS 4.5 to new Windows 2000 server

8. Size limit automitcally changed?

9. Migrating SBS Exchange 4.5 to Windows 2000 + Exchange (not SBS)

10. Netshield for NT and Exchange 2000

11. Move windows Nt (DC) to Windows 2000 server(DC)

12. Migrating 5.5 exchange server Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000

13. Windows NT or Windows 2000?