Can't get rid of newsgroups

Post by Jean-Marc Annonie » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

Some people are having problems to get the newsgroups to work in Exchange,
well, mine work too well: I can't get rid of them !!!

As a test, I've created an NNTP newsfeed pointing to msnews.microsoft.com,
and made microsoft.public.exchange and microsoft.public.exchange2000 folders
available. So they appeared under the Internet Newsgroups public folder
correctly and I have been able to access the ng from Outlook Express ... all
happy.

Then I've tried to remove them from the NNTP server as I am only interested
in publishing my own public folders for internal staff, no way !!! I've
excluded them from the newsfeed, deleted the newsfeed, restarted the
services, and also the computer ... the ng still show up under Internet
Newsgroups ... and guess what ... they are still accessible from the client
!! Although there is no newsfeed anymore.

I've even tried to do a raw delete, didn't work either, they're here to stay
!!

Please help ... it's only my test server but it's really driving me nuts.

Thanks

Jean-Marc Annonier

Can't get rid of newsgroups

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Have you tried to delete them from MAPI mail client (like OL)?

> Hi all,

> Some people are having problems to get the newsgroups to work in Exchange,
> well, mine work too well: I can't get rid of them !!!

> As a test, I've created an NNTP newsfeed pointing to msnews.microsoft.com,
> and made microsoft.public.exchange and microsoft.public.exchange2000 folders
> available. So they appeared under the Internet Newsgroups public folder
> correctly and I have been able to access the ng from Outlook Express ... all
> happy.

> Then I've tried to remove them from the NNTP server as I am only interested
> in publishing my own public folders for internal staff, no way !!! I've
> excluded them from the newsfeed, deleted the newsfeed, restarted the
> services, and also the computer ... the ng still show up under Internet
> Newsgroups ... and guess what ... they are still accessible from the client
> !! Although there is no newsfeed anymore.

> I've even tried to do a raw delete, didn't work either, they're here to stay
> !!

> Please help ... it's only my test server but it's really driving me nuts.

> Thanks

> Jean-Marc Annonier

group).

Kirill

Can't get rid of newsgroups

Post by Jean-Marc Annonie » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Yes,

The option is not available.

JM

Quote:> Have you tried to delete them from MAPI mail client (like OL)?

Can't get rid of newsgroups

Post by Vsevolod Ostapenk » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Have you granted necessary permissions to the account you are using trying
to delete those folders?

> Yes,

> The option is not available.

> JM

in

> > Have you tried to delete them from MAPI mail client (like OL)?

Can't get rid of newsgroups

Post by Jean-Marc Annonie » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Thanks, that worked like a breeze. I still don't understand why I can't
remove them from the administrator, but as long as I can do it from Outlook
I'm happy.

Cheers,

Jean-Marc

> Have you granted necessary permissions to the account you are using trying
> to delete those folders?

> > Yes,

> > The option is not available.

> > JM

wrote

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 08 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Have you granted necessary permissions to the account you are using trying
>to delete those folders?

I think it's also necessary to stop and restart Outlook after
assigning those privileges.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Can't get rid of newsgroups

Exch admin prog has no provision to delete PFs.

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so.

Kirill

1. Getting rid of newsgroup folders

I have Exchange server 5.5 (trial version) working in a testing environment
and installed the newsserver (using msnews.microsoft.com) newsfeed.
My problem now is I can't get rid of it.  All of the folders in my public
folders section refuse to be deleted.  When I select them there is no delete
option and when I select the group and get the delete option, the advice box
comes up and says "That object no longer exists"
Thanks in advance for the help.

Rod

2. mtadata dat files

3. Getting Rid of a Newsgroup/Newsfeed

4. Strange problem with contacts in OL2000

5. Can't get rid of the Internet Newsgroups public folder

6. Outlook

7. Two Domain on one mail Server

8. Getting Rid of 001's after names in the GAL

9. Getting Rid of Personal Folders but don't show up as Service