Outbound SMTP Mail Never Leaves Microsoft Exchange Server

Outbound SMTP Mail Never Leaves Microsoft Exchange Server

Post by JC » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 08:36:22

E-mail messages to certain mail hosts remain stuck in the IMS out-bound queue.
The details state *host unreachable*.

I have applied Exchange SP4 and the problem persists.  Internal and external DNS
servers are online and functioning properly.  Until recently, the server has
functioned properly Any ideas?

Exchange 5.5 w/ SP4
NT Server 4.0 w/ SP6

-jc

Outbound SMTP Mail Never Leaves Microsoft Exchange Server

Post by Alfred Lo » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 10:16:08

Try this.  Telnet to their mail hosts on port 25.  If there is no response,
it is their server is down.

--
AL, MCSE
"Why curse the darkness when you can light a candle"

E-mail messages to certain mail hosts remain stuck in the IMS out-bound
queue.
The details state *host unreachable*.

I have applied Exchange SP4 and the problem persists.  Internal and external
DNS
servers are online and functioning properly.  Until recently, the server has
functioned properly Any ideas?

Exchange 5.5 w/ SP4
NT Server 4.0 w/ SP6

-jc

Outbound SMTP Mail Never Leaves Microsoft Exchange Server

Post by Jovonnie Chesne » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 07:50:32

Great tip, there was no response to the telnet request on port 25.  The
actual cause was their fouled attempt to prevent relay from their Notes
server.  In short, the Notes server did not respond to helo.
-jc

> Try this.  Telnet to their mail hosts on port 25.  If there is no
response,
> it is their server is down.

> --
> AL, MCSE
> "Why curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
> MCSE page http://members.tripodasia.com.sg/alloo/mcse.htm
> Palm page http://www.alfredivy.per.sg/users/alloo/palm.htm

> E-mail messages to certain mail hosts remain stuck in the IMS out-bound
> queue.
> The details state *host unreachable*.

> I have applied Exchange SP4 and the problem persists.  Internal and
external
> DNS
> servers are online and functioning properly.  Until recently, the server
has
> functioned properly Any ideas?

> Exchange 5.5 w/ SP4
> NT Server 4.0 w/ SP6

> -jc

1. SMTP attempting to send outbound mail to web server, not mail server

My Win2k SMTP is having a problem delivering email to other domains. Can
anyone explian why my SMTP is attempting to send mail to a web server IP,
and not the proper mail server IP?

When attempting delivery, there is no response to the HELO by the
destination server. I snooped the connection to the internet to see what was
going on, and found that my SMTP is trying to send mail to the destination
domain's web server, not it's mail server.

I then scrolled back to see the DNS query sequence for the remote domain. My
machine sends a single DNS query, and I do get a DNS response with the IP of
the host domain, but no mention of the mail IP (MX record). Then my SMTP
server then uses this host IP in an attempt to send mail, which fails the
connection attempt. Specifically, when sending mail to pacbell.net, I see
the DNS answer back with 151.164.129.3, and then my smtp server attempt to
send mail using that ip, which the connection attaempt fails. When doing a
nslookup on pacbells MX records, I get the correct mail servers for pacbell
(mta1.snfc21.pbi.net = 206.13.28.142 and others). BTW, similar failure mode
happens for all outgoing mail domains, not just pacbell.

Thanks

2. Exchange 2000 How Do I Export the Entire Global Address List (GAL)

3. Leaving SMTP Mail on the server

4. How to stop e-mail removal from server

5. Routing smtp outbound mail to internet mail service server

6. Admin

7. Outbound mail to the internet never leaves Queue

8. New features of SP1

9. Microsoft Exchange IMS - Outbound mail & Large attachments

10. Microsoft Exchange Server 5.0: outbound news problems

11. When will Internet Mail/Exchange service leave mail on the server

12. The living dead mail server (Exchange server won't leave site)