getting blocked e-mail returns

Post by matthe » Wed, 08 May 2002 02:24:59

I have had some issues with my exchange server and the
rely option being on. I have since fixed that but I am now
having issues sending e-mails to some companys and even to

this message below. This does not happen to all e-mails
leaving my company just a about half a dozen or so. its
not ramdem it is all the time.

I was wonding if exchange has an option somewere that
might be blocking these from our side or have we been but
on a anti spam list and blocked on there side?? If so what
can be done about it can i be removed with out calling
these companys???

Thank you in advanced for help provided
Matthew

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended
recipients.

      Subject:  testing our e-mail service
      Sent:     4/18/02 9:39 AM

      "any e-mail address"on 4/18/02 9:39 AM
            The recipient was unavailable to take delivery
of the message
        The MTS-ID of the original message is:
c=US;a= ;p=ourdomain;l=exchange server-020418133910Z-1111

getting blocked e-mail returns

Post by AC » Wed, 08 May 2002 02:40:04

Do you have reverse lookups setup for your mail exchangers?  I had a similar
issue, as soon as the reverse lookup was configured all was well.

> I have had some issues with my exchange server and the
> rely option being on. I have since fixed that but I am now
> having issues sending e-mails to some companys and even to

> this message below. This does not happen to all e-mails
> leaving my company just a about half a dozen or so. its
> not ramdem it is all the time.

> I was wonding if exchange has an option somewere that
> might be blocking these from our side or have we been but
> on a anti spam list and blocked on there side?? If so what
> can be done about it can i be removed with out calling
> these companys???

> Thank you in advanced for help provided
> Matthew

> Your message did not reach some or all of the intended
> recipients.

Post by Glyn » Wed, 08 May 2002 03:47:24

This is not something I can remember having set up either,
would you point me to a document that explains how to set
up the reverse lookup please?

I have had an ongoing problem similar to the one explained
at the root of the thread, but have not resolved it yet.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Do you have reverse lookups setup for your mail

exchangers?  I had a similar
>issue, as soon as the reverse lookup was configured all
was well.

>> I have had some issues with my exchange server and the
>> rely option being on. I have since fixed that but I am
now
>> having issues sending e-mails to some companys and even

with
>> this message below. This does not happen to all e-mails
>> leaving my company just a about half a dozen or so. its
>> not ramdem it is all the time.

>> I was wonding if exchange has an option somewere that
>> might be blocking these from our side or have we been
but
>> on a anti spam list and blocked on there side?? If so
what
>> can be done about it can i be removed with out calling
>> these companys???

>> Thank you in advanced for help provided
>> Matthew

>> Your message did not reach some or all of the intended
>> recipients.

Post by matthe » Wed, 08 May 2002 03:58:34

not sure how would i check to see if this lookup is
installed or configured

matthew

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Do you have reverse lookups setup for your mail

exchangers?  I had a similar
>issue, as soon as the reverse lookup was configured all
was well.

>> I have had some issues with my exchange server and the
>> rely option being on. I have since fixed that but I am
now
>> having issues sending e-mails to some companys and even

with
>> this message below. This does not happen to all e-mails
>> leaving my company just a about half a dozen or so. its
>> not ramdem it is all the time.

>> I was wonding if exchange has an option somewere that
>> might be blocking these from our side or have we been
but
>> on a anti spam list and blocked on there side?? If so
what
>> can be done about it can i be removed with out calling
>> these companys???

>> Thank you in advanced for help provided
>> Matthew

>> Your message did not reach some or all of the intended
>> recipients.

Post by Anders Reed Moh » Wed, 08 May 2002 17:32:04

This is not something you install or configure on Exchange.
"Reverse lookup" refers to the DNS.
Normally you have a DNS-record for your mail server,
so that when someone tries to send emails to you, they
check DNS for (for instance) mail.company.com, and get
and IP-adress back.

This mechanism can also be reversed, so that when you
try to send emails to others, the remote mail server will
do a "reverse DNS lookup" on your IP-address, to see if
it comes back with the same domain name as you claim
you have.
This is used to counter IP-address spoofing.

Ask your ISP, or whoever manages DNS for you, to insert a reverse DNS
record (a PTR record) for your mail server.

You can check whether a record already exists by doing "nslookup
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
(substitute your mail servers IP for all the X-es). If you get the mail
servers
hostname back as a reply, then the record is in place.

Cheers,
Anders :)

> not sure how would i check to see if this lookup is
> installed or configured

> matthew

Post by AC » Wed, 08 May 2002 21:40:00

This site is pretty handy to check for reverse lookups.

http://network-tools.com

There is also an RFC that references reverse lookups and mail servers, has
to do with spamming.  I think these are the RFC numbers, but if not just do
a google search.

RFC 821 and 822

> This is not something you install or configure on Exchange.
> "Reverse lookup" refers to the DNS.
> Normally you have a DNS-record for your mail server,
> so that when someone tries to send emails to you, they
> check DNS for (for instance) mail.company.com, and get
> and IP-adress back.

> This mechanism can also be reversed, so that when you
> try to send emails to others, the remote mail server will
> do a "reverse DNS lookup" on your IP-address, to see if
> it comes back with the same domain name as you claim
> you have.
> This is used to counter IP-address spoofing.

> Ask your ISP, or whoever manages DNS for you, to insert a reverse DNS
> record (a PTR record) for your mail server.

> You can check whether a record already exists by doing "nslookup
> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
> (substitute your mail servers IP for all the X-es). If you get the mail
> servers
> hostname back as a reply, then the record is in place.

> Cheers,
> Anders :)

> > not sure how would i check to see if this lookup is
> > installed or configured

> > matthew

1. Blocking email : Getting harassment emails...

Hello.

We have one employee that is getting harassed by an individual with a
"throw-away" email account.   Are there steps that I can take to either
block this incoming email or take steps to report the individual.  The
contents of the email that is being sent is getting serious and we would
like to take the appropiate action.

Many thanks.
Steve

2. Site membership

3. Getting receipient emails returned

4. Can send, but not receive

5. All sent mail getting returned undeliverable

6. owa

7. Mail getting returned

8. OWA and SBS4.5

9. Mail gets sent but also error message returned

10. Blocking e-mail with blank return address

11. Non Delivery Report Returned But Message Gets Through

12. Message to deleted account not getting returned as NONDELIVERABLE

13. Message to deleted account not getting returned as UNDELIVERABLE