OWA - can't get mailboxes on backend server from frontend owa server

OWA - can't get mailboxes on backend server from frontend owa server

Post by Joe Cav » Fri, 25 May 2001 11:09:07

i have a front end / back end server set up where owa traffic comes into the
front end server but when trying to get the contents of the mailbox it looks
to the netbios name of the backend server. all the mailboxes live on the
backend server which doesn't accept http connections. in my browser i can
see the url redirect happen (i.e. mail.company.com/exchange suddenly tries
to switch to 'servername'/exchange). anyone know what i'm talking about?
thx!

joe cave
ms guinea pig

OWA - can't get mailboxes on backend server from frontend owa server

Post by KC Lemso » Sat, 26 May 2001 13:37:50

If you want to use OWA in a FE/BE topology you must allow HTTP connections
to the back end. What else are you expecting to happen?

- KC

> i have a front end / back end server set up where owa traffic comes into
the
> front end server but when trying to get the contents of the mailbox it
looks
> to the netbios name of the backend server. all the mailboxes live on the
> backend server which doesn't accept http connections. in my browser i can
> see the url redirect happen (i.e. mail.company.com/exchange suddenly tries
> to switch to 'servername'/exchange). anyone know what i'm talking about?
> thx!

> joe cave
> ms guinea pig

OWA - can't get mailboxes on backend server from frontend owa server

Post by Joe Cav » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 02:21:20

i have http allowed to the BE server but when the FE server queries it, it
is resolving via local host name which is not routable to the outside world.
if i have my primay domain's MX pointed to the FE server but all the
mailboxes are living on a BE server i won't be able to grab the mailbox info
in OWA with a primary domain URL... suggestions?

joe

> If you want to use OWA in a FE/BE topology you must allow HTTP connections
> to the back end. What else are you expecting to happen?

> - KC

> > i have a front end / back end server set up where owa traffic comes into
> the
> > front end server but when trying to get the contents of the mailbox it
> looks
> > to the netbios name of the backend server. all the mailboxes live on the
> > backend server which doesn't accept http connections. in my browser i
can
> > see the url redirect happen (i.e. mail.company.com/exchange suddenly
tries
> > to switch to 'servername'/exchange). anyone know what i'm talking about?
> > thx!

> > joe cave
> > ms guinea pig

1. OWA Frontend & Backend server for Exchange 2K

Does anyone have or know where I can get step by step
instructions on building OWA on a Frontend server for
Exchange 2K?  I have gone through some slides and
presentation on MS sites but they were no help.  I also
found some papers on technet but they were pretty brief.
Thanks in advance.

2. Administrative Rights

3. OWA Frontend-Backend Authentication Failure after Windows 2000 SP2

4. ITA Sample App-SDK

5. OWA FrontEnd/BackEnd

6. E2K on Win2K3

7. FrontEnd BackEnd server

8. Public Folder permission

9. frontend\backend server arrangement

10. Problem when retrieving web storage properties in a frontend/backend server config

11. Installing only Web Access on frontend, with Exchange2000 on backend server

12. FrontEnd server OWA & Public Folders

13. OWA on Frontend Server