Site Connector only connects one way

Post by Roy Smit » Mon, 16 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Hello

I have 2 Exchange 5.0 servers, each in a different domain with a 2-way trust
setup.

The problem is that the site connector can only be setup on one server, but
when it tries to connect to the other server, it comes up with a
DS_E_COMMUNICATIONS_PROBLEM error.
The trust works successfully and both domains can see each other
successfully, across the router.

Is this a IP routing problem or something else? Can anyone help?

Many thanks  in advance

Post by Rich Matheis » Mon, 16 Feb 1998 04:00:00

>I have 2 Exchange 5.0 servers, each in a different domain with a 2-way trust
>setup.

>The problem is that the site connector can only be setup on one server, but
>when it tries to connect to the other server, it comes up with a
>DS_E_COMMUNICATIONS_PROBLEM error.
>The trust works successfully and both domains can see each other
>successfully, across the router.

Have you run the RPINGS and RPING32C tools to verify that these
machines can communicate? If it works in one direction, switch the
roles of the machines and see if it works in the other direction. Try
all endpoints.

Quote:>Is this a IP routing problem or something else? Can anyone help?

It may pe a packet filtering problem on the router. Is there a
firewall involved in this, too?

1. Connecting two sites - X400 connector vs Site connector

I need to set up an exchange server (5.5 Ent SR2 on server running NT4 SP5
as BDC) at a branch office and need to connect it to the exchange server in
our head office (5.5 Ent SR2 with IMS and ccmail connector on server running
NT4 SP5 as PDC).

The two sites are connected with a 24K frame relay link - nothing else than
mail traffic (and sync between nt-servers) will be transferred over this
link. The branch office will have 10 mailboxes, headoffice have got 25.
Server at branch office will use IMS and ccmail connector at headoffice.

What type of connector do I go for? Having read a lot about the issue I
understand that I will have to use the site connector OR the X400 connector.
Tried to set up a new site/server on the same LAN as the headoffice server
(just to test) - created one mailbox and configured the site connector, the
directory replication and the generation of offline address books without
problems, so this seems to be the easy way out, but.......

What are the advantages / disadvantages with the two different connectors?
Which one should I choose?

Any help / recommendations appreciated - thank you!

Regards,

Jan

2. trend micro

3. Site Connector only connects one way

4. Sharing address lists

5. haw can I remove a site connector without having both sites connected

6. Meeting Room & Resource Scheduling Do's & Dont's

7. Connect 2 sites over Internet with Site Connector

8. Restore Exchange 2000, (online backup)

9. ways to connect to the exchange server with out using VPN

10. Connecting sites together , but *one way only*

11. RAS Site Connector converted to WAN Site Connector

12. Connecting sites together , but *one way only*