address problems

Post by bpallin » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

I had originally posted the following message:

"On friday I connected one of our other sites to our organization using
the Internet mail service on exchange 5.5 sp3. It worked fine, I could
send and receive mail from them. As of today, I can receive mail from
them and they can receive mail from outside the organization with no
problem, but if anybody from any site in our organization besides their
own tries to send them mail, the sender gets the following message "Your

message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

      Sent: 5/30/2000 10:47 AM

      Ferro, Joe on 5/30/2000 10:47 AM
            The recipient name is not recognized
 The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a=
;p=caminus;l=SERVERNAME-000530144724Z-20147
            MSEXCH:MSExchangeMTA:SITENAME:SERVERNAME"

Like I said, when we first set it up it worked fine. Why would this
change? Also, how come they can receive all mail from outside the
organization? Thank you for your help."

After some testing, I realize that I get this message when I try to send
to the address I deleted from my server and had them recreate on their
server. If they create a different address then the one I deleted, it
works fine. Please Help.

Thanks

address problems

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>      Ferro, Joe on 5/30/2000 10:47 AM
>            The recipient name is not recognized
> The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a=
>;p=caminus;l=SERVERNAME-000530144724Z-20147
>            MSEXCH:MSExchangeMTA:SITENAME:SERVERNAME"

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>After some testing, I realize that I get this message when I try to send
>to the address I deleted from my server and had them recreate on their
>server. If they create a different address then the one I deleted, it
>works fine. Please Help.

Can you restate that, please? Try not to use nonspecific terms. We
have no idea what the address was that you deleted, what servers are
installed in your site, how many sites are in your organization, what
address space values are present in your connectors, or what the
"different" address is.

I already took one guess at your problem (this is the second posting
you've made), so have a look at that one first.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

address problems

Post by bpallin » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

I'll see if I can make this clearer. My company had 3 sites in their
organization. On Friday we added another site. The address' we use are

if I chose off  the Global address list(which I guess was still

receive mail from them fine, and they can receive mail fine from anybody
outside the organization or anybody else set up on their (LONDON) server. Did
I make this clearer or more confusing? Thanks again.

>                                         [ snip ]

> >      Ferro, Joe on 5/30/2000 10:47 AM
> >            The recipient name is not recognized
> > The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a=
> >;p=caminus;l=SERVERNAME-000530144724Z-20147
> >            MSEXCH:MSExchangeMTA:SITENAME:SERVERNAME"

>                                         [ snip ]

> >After some testing, I realize that I get this message when I try to send
> >to the address I deleted from my server and had them recreate on their
> >server. If they create a different address then the one I deleted, it
> >works fine. Please Help.

> Can you restate that, please? Try not to use nonspecific terms. We
> have no idea what the address was that you deleted, what servers are
> installed in your site, how many sites are in your organization, what
> address space values are present in your connectors, or what the
> "different" address is.

> I already took one guess at your problem (this is the second posting
> you've made), so have a look at that one first.

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

address problems

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

>I'll see if I can make this clearer. My company had 3 sites in their
>organization. On Friday we added another site. The address' we use are

And from where were you choosing the address in the "To:" header? From
the GAL or from a PAB, Contact, or an old piece of mail you were
replying to? In what order (on your client) is the address resolved?
Is the GAL at the top of the list?

header and press Ctrl+K? Is the address resolved and replaced by a
Display Name, or does it remain as a SMTP address?

The problem you describe happens when a message is addressed with a
Distinguished Name (as it would be if the name was resolved from a PAB
or Contact populated from the GAL) that no longer exists. The SMTP
address makes it appear as if the address is correct, but it isn't.

The problem usually happens when the message is sent from one site for
delivery in another. When it arrives at the target site the MTA
attempts to resolve the details of the address (not just the c,a,p,
and o parameters of the address) and it cannot find the object.

>if I chose off  the Global address list(which I guess was still

>receive mail from them fine, and they can receive mail fine from anybody
>outside the organization or anybody else set up on their (LONDON) server. Did
>I make this clearer or more confusing? Thanks again.

Try this: create a NEW MAPI profile and don't include a PAB or Outlook

of the address in the "To:" header. Is it the recipient you thought it
was?

Can you tell me how the address was added to the other site? It's
possible to confuse things horribly if Directory Import was used.
There's no checking of duplicate proxy addresses.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

address problems

Post by Ron Spadafora - MV » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:>Can you tell me how the address was added to the other site? It's
>possible to confuse things horribly if Directory Import was used.
>There's no checking of duplicate proxy addresses.

I didn't know that.  Is that just when using the directory import?  Do
you know of any pertinent KB articles off the top of your head?

Quote:

>------------------
>Rich Matheisen
>MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

_

Ronald J. Spadafora, Jr. - MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

address problems

Post by Ron Spadafora - MV » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 01 Jun 2000 15:32:03 -0400, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"

>><snip>

>>>Can you tell me how the address was added to the other site? It's
>>>possible to confuse things horribly if Directory Import was used.
>>>There's no checking of duplicate proxy addresses.

>>I didn't know that.  Is that just when using the directory import?  Do
>>you know of any pertinent KB articles off the top of your head?

>Hmmm, looks like it's old information, Ron. I just tried importing a
>duplicate secondary proxy address and it detected it. I think I'm
>going to have to start forgetting things from earlier releases!

For most of us, that comes naturally :)

Quote:>------------------
>Rich Matheisen
>MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

_

Ronald J. Spadafora, Jr. - MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

address problems

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Fri, 02 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:><snip>

>>Can you tell me how the address was added to the other site? It's
>>possible to confuse things horribly if Directory Import was used.
>>There's no checking of duplicate proxy addresses.

>I didn't know that.  Is that just when using the directory import?  Do
>you know of any pertinent KB articles off the top of your head?

Hmmm, looks like it's old information, Ron. I just tried importing a
duplicate secondary proxy address and it detected it. I think I'm
going to have to start forgetting things from earlier releases!

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Exchange 5.0 - IMS - SMTP/Internet Address proxy address problems

I have a couple of problems that I wonder if anyone else has seen with
Exchange 5.0 IMS and can offer me a solution.

Problem one is that one of my Exchange users requires an SMTP 'reply to' of

Exchange Admin does not allow me to generate such an address, though
checking the RFC 821 etc it is valid and my user has used the same form
with Eudora.
basically I cannot get Exchange to support the use of a 'display name' as
part of the 'reply to' address.

Problem two is that Exchange IMS does not consistently process the display
name for incoming Internet e-mail.

For example, email from Katie Hopgood with the reply address:

is displayed correctly by the Exchange client (v5.0.1457.3) as coming from

However, email from Andrew McDermott with the reply address:

is displayed only partially and shown by the Exchange client to come from

Anyone seen this type of problem?

Many thanks
Dave Parker
Rutherford Lab
UK

2. Multi Pop option in Exchange Server

3. OWA addressing problem

4. I can not send or receive external email by using exchange server 2000

5. Outlook 2000 addressing problem

6. service pack 4 update

7. local mail address problem

8. custom forms in public folders

9. Re; Exchange 5.5 - SMTP Address problem

10. Exchange 5.5 - SMTP Address problem

11. Email Address Problem

12. Addressing Problem

13. Offline address problem