!!Help New Back Office Server to Replace Existing Exchange 5.5

!!Help New Back Office Server to Replace Existing Exchange 5.5

Post by Arend R. Pryo » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

I've got some problems I need to work out. I'm trying to put up a new
Exchange server which is also a Back Office Server. The first problem I've
noticed is that the user accounts are not present on the new server. How
should I go about transferring them over? Should I create new ones? When
installing Exchange, I set it to join the existing site and I got
information on removing the original server from article Q152959. I tested
moving a mailbox over to the new server but when I tried to open the mailbox
up in Exchange Administrator I got an error message stating that there is no
mapping for the account. I created an NT user account to use for this
mailbox but it wouldn't retain the info. What should I do!!! Any and all
help is appreciated.

!!Help New Back Office Server to Replace Existing Exchange 5.5

Post by Daniel T. Freema » Mon, 29 May 2000 04:00:00

It sounds like your server is stand-a-lone.  You need to join the domain and
that will then allow your NT accounts to show up.  Once this is done, you
should be able to move your mailboxes over to the new server.

Dan.

Quote:> I've got some problems I need to work out. I'm trying to put up a new
> Exchange server which is also a Back Office Server. The first problem I've
> noticed is that the user accounts are not present on the new server. How
> should I go about transferring them over? Should I create new ones? When
> installing Exchange, I set it to join the existing site and I got
> information on removing the original server from article Q152959. I tested
> moving a mailbox over to the new server but when I tried to open the
mailbox
> up in Exchange Administrator I got an error message stating that there is
no
> mapping for the account. I created an NT user account to use for this
> mailbox but it wouldn't retain the info. What should I do!!! Any and all
> help is appreciated.

!!Help New Back Office Server to Replace Existing Exchange 5.5

Post by Ralph Bad » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

BO Server 4.5 usually is installed on a PDC. If you installed it as a
stand-alone, promote to BDC using server manager from the PDC. You may have
some trouble with it attaching to the domain afterward. I did :-)). Used
WINS with LMHosts and after several warm reboots, I had it connect. Run net
accounts sync to sync all NT accounts.

Create test mailbox on existing server, move to new BO server and test.

Ralph

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Tue, 30 May 2000 04:00:00

> BO Server 4.5 usually is installed on a PDC. If you installed it as a
> stand-alone, promote to BDC using server manager from the PDC.

Stand-alone NT4 server to domain controller?
That is something new.

Quote:> <snip>

--
If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so.

Kirill

1. Replacing existing Exchange Server onto new computer

I'm trying to locate a white paper or outline that describes a reliable
process of replacing an existing, fully functional NT Server 4.0 (PDC)
running Exchange 5.5 with a new server to fill the same role.  We're okay
with the NT component.  We're simply looking to avoid problems with
Exchange.  Basically, we don't want to "add" a new site or server; we simply
want to replace a the existing server.

2. Secure Post Office Protocol (POP) Client Access in Exchange 2000

3. Making a new exchange server to replace existing.

4. Reject Messages

5. Best way to replace an existing exchange server with new hardware

6. Linking Global Address Books

7. Replacing existing exchange server with a new one...

8. OWA and Win2k server

9. Replacing existing server with new one

10. Replacing existing Exchange 5.5 server

11. Howto replace the existing exchange 2000 with a new exc2k box

12. migrate Exchange 5.5 from the existing server to a new server