Seeking Backup Strategies

Post by Chris Kin » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 06:00:36

Hi,

After extensive hunting through online resources (microsoft.com,
exinternals.com, NNTP sourrces, various print libraries ....) I have found
amazingly little information on this all too critical topic.Microsoft offers
some basic info in it's E2kRecovery.doc --findable at
http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/techinfo/deployment/2000/E2Krecover...
but I am unable to get detailed info.

My goal is to be able to offer my clients varied strategies including
minimal downtime recovery scenarios. After much work with exch 5.5 I
discovered some great techniques that can no longer work in 2k.

Questions I have:

1. Do any of you have other/better sources for info regarding either exch 2k
in general or recovery specifically?
2. Can I have a second exch server running in the organization and if the
primary fails, restore the data to the 2nd one? (active directory i would
think woudl complicate this, but then perhaps it facilitates it. I am also
having trouble locating good info on the ways in whihc ecxh and AD interact.

Thanks in advance for any leads!

Chris King

Seeking Backup Strategies

Post by Mark Lev » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 08:56:44

I am using Veritas BackupExec 8.5.  It does a great job
backing up Exchange 2000.  You need to purchase a special
plug-in for exchange, but it will, (when configured to do
so) create a backup that will allow you to restore the
entire mail store (for a major disaster) or even a single
mailbox.  This option does require a lot of tape, it
essentialy backs up the mail store twice (once for the
whole store and once at the brick-level for the individual
mail box), but it works!

-MLevy

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>After extensive hunting through online resources
(microsoft.com,
>exinternals.com, NNTP sourrces, various print

libraries ....) I have found
Quote:>amazingly little information on this all too critical

topic.Microsoft offers
Quote:>some basic info in it's E2kRecovery.doc --findable at
>http://www.microsoft.com/Exchange/techinfo/deployment/2000/E2Krecover...
>but I am unable to get detailed info.

>My goal is to be able to offer my clients varied

strategies including
Quote:>minimal downtime recovery scenarios. After much work with
exch 5.5 I
>discovered some great techniques that can no longer work
in 2k.

>Questions I have:

>1. Do any of you have other/better sources for info

regarding either exch 2k
Quote:>in general or recovery specifically?
>2. Can I have a second exch server running in the

organization and if the
Quote:>primary fails, restore the data to the 2nd one? (active
directory i would
>think woudl complicate this, but then perhaps it

facilitates it. I am also
Quote:>having trouble locating good info on the ways in whihc

ecxh and AD interact.

>Thanks in advance for any leads!

>Chris King

>.

Seeking Backup Strategies

Post by Chris Kin » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 09:46:57

Thanks for the reply, Mark. I have had troubles in the past with tape media
(reliability/speed)  so that I try to avoid it when i can unless the client
has a solid datacenter/server room setup which is rare for my clients.
BackupExec and Arcserver might allow backup to disk instead,I can't recall
offhand. I'm less concerned however, and i didn't make this clear in my
first post--my bad--with how to do the backup as the strategy for a recovery
if hardware dies and new server needs building. What I can't seem to find is
the details on how servers are interacting with Active Directory and how
mail routing/information stores are involved... building new machines to
replace dead ones seems to be more tircky with AD. My current searches are
along the AD route to see if I can find clues....

Chris

btw, should I locate such info i'll post it here as well for distribution.

> I am using Veritas BackupExec 8.5.  It does a great job
> backing up Exchange 2000.  You need to purchase a special
> plug-in for exchange, but it will, (when configured to do
> so) create a backup that will allow you to restore the
> entire mail store (for a major disaster) or even a single
> mailbox.  This option does require a lot of tape, it
> essentialy backs up the mail store twice (once for the
> whole store and once at the brick-level for the individual
> mail box), but it works!

> -MLevy

Seeking Backup Strategies

Post by Nigel Hun » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 17:07:06

Chris,

My understanding of E2K's recovery strategies are as follows:

1.) If the database or disk fails restore the database from tape
2.) If the server hardware fails reinstalled W2K and use the Exchange 2000
/disaster recovery switch to reinstall Exchange and then restore the
database/s.
3.) If you need some sort fault tolerance system then install a cluster
4.) If you need fault tolerance between sites ????

I work in a site with two data centre 700 km apart and the distance is to
create for any type of stretch clustering. The only way we can think of at
present is to cretae new user ids e.g bloggsjdrp and point the user at a
storage group at the other site.
As the mail attributes are "attributes" of the account in the AD without
doing some tricky programming you can't seem to disassociate a userid with
one mailbox store and reassociate with another. ( If I really tried I
probably could do this, but if I did would I get support from Microsoft
later on???...it think not).

I look forward to any other conculsions you come up with.

P.S Jerry Cochran wrote quite a good book on Disaster Recovery for Exchange
2000.

Cheers

Nigel

> Thanks for the reply, Mark. I have had troubles in the past with tape
media
> (reliability/speed)  so that I try to avoid it when i can unless the
client
> has a solid datacenter/server room setup which is rare for my clients.
> BackupExec and Arcserver might allow backup to disk instead,I can't recall
> offhand. I'm less concerned however, and i didn't make this clear in my
> first post--my bad--with how to do the backup as the strategy for a
recovery
> if hardware dies and new server needs building. What I can't seem to find
is
> the details on how servers are interacting with Active Directory and how
> mail routing/information stores are involved... building new machines to
> replace dead ones seems to be more tircky with AD. My current searches are
> along the AD route to see if I can find clues....

> Chris

> btw, should I locate such info i'll post it here as well for distribution.

> > I am using Veritas BackupExec 8.5.  It does a great job
> > backing up Exchange 2000.  You need to purchase a special
> > plug-in for exchange, but it will, (when configured to do
> > so) create a backup that will allow you to restore the
> > entire mail store (for a major disaster) or even a single
> > mailbox.  This option does require a lot of tape, it
> > essentialy backs up the mail store twice (once for the
> > whole store and once at the brick-level for the individual
> > mail box), but it works!

> > -MLevy

Seeking Backup Strategies

Post by Chris Kin » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 02:16:47

Thanks, Nigel.

I'll look up Cochran's book. You touch on one strategy I have considered:
having 2 servers in the org (or site) and hoping to be able to restore from
one server/storage group to another. Not sure that would work due to the AD
pointing to the "old" storage group, and altering that programmatically is
far beyond me. One thing I am testing out though for smaller companies is
using exmerge in lieu or in addition to backups so that a: clients can
access theri mail even after 100% faillure of the server (tho not send tilla
server is restored/rebuilt) and that as exmerge creates PSTs they are
completely free of AD pointers and can be imported in to a fresh new
exchange installation. There are certainly drawbacks to using exmerge in
this way, but I have been testing it against a 2.6gb private store and it is
performing pretty well.

As always, I'll keep posting my findings.

Chris

> [...]

> > mail routing/information stores are involved... building new machines to
> > replace dead ones seems to be more tircky with AD. My current searches
are
> > along the AD route to see if I can find clues....

> > Chris

> > btw, should I locate such info i'll post it here as well for
distribution.

> > > I am using Veritas BackupExec 8.5.  It does a great job
> > > backing up Exchange 2000.  You need to purchase a special
> > > plug-in for exchange, but it will, (when configured to do
> > > so) create a backup that will allow you to restore the
> > > entire mail store (for a major disaster) or even a single
> > > mailbox.  This option does require a lot of tape, it
> > > essentialy backs up the mail store twice (once for the
> > > whole store and once at the brick-level for the individual

Seeking Backup Strategies

Post by Mark Lev » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 06:02:03

Chris,
I'll toss this out there with the caveat that I have never
tried it personally.
As long as the E2K server is not a domain controller it
can be succesfully imaged (and restored if necessary) with
Nortons Ghost.  This will protect the Win2K side of the
server and any references the server may have in AD.  Then
use Veritas/Arcserver to get your exchange backupsof the
mail store.
To recover a failed server you would need an identical
server (If you've worked with ghost you'll know why)  Lay
the ghost image down and boot the server.  At this point
you have a working server that AD never knew was missing.
Then you restore the information store from the latest
backup and you should be back in business.  All of the AD
pointers are maintained because the server info never
changed in the eyes of AD.
I get this hairbrained idea because I know that it works
with Citrix Meta-Frame.  You can ghost a Win2K server
running citrix and if the server fails, put it right back
into place, AD is never the wiser.
For the AD end the same logic should apply to the AD side
of an E2K server and then you just need to restore the
latest information store from tape.

Again, I know it works with Win2K and Citrix, but have not
personally tried this on my Exchange system.

Good Luck,

Mark Levy

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Thanks, Nigel.

>I'll look up Cochran's book. You touch on one strategy I
have considered:
>having 2 servers in the org (or site) and hoping to be

able to restore from
Quote:>one server/storage group to another. Not sure that would
work due to the AD
>pointing to the "old" storage group, and altering that
programmatically is
>far beyond me. One thing I am testing out though for

smaller companies is
Quote:>using exmerge in lieu or in addition to backups so that
a: clients can
>access theri mail even after 100% faillure of the server
(tho not send tilla
>server is restored/rebuilt) and that as exmerge creates
PSTs they are
>completely free of AD pointers and can be imported in to
a fresh new
>exchange installation. There are certainly drawbacks to
using exmerge in
>this way, but I have been testing it against a 2.6gb

private store and it is
>performing pretty well.

>As always, I'll keep posting my findings.

>Chris

>> Chris,

>> My understanding of E2K's recovery strategies are as
follows:

>> 1.) If the database or disk fails restore the database
from tape
>> 2.) If the server hardware fails reinstalled W2K and

use the Exchange 2000

Quote:>> /disaster recovery switch to reinstall Exchange and
then restore the
>> database/s.
>> 3.) If you need some sort fault tolerance system then
install a cluster
>> 4.) If you need fault tolerance between sites ????

>> I work in a site with two data centre 700 km apart and
the distance is to
>> create for any type of stretch clustering. The only way
we can think of at
>> present is to cretae new user ids e.g bloggsjdrp and
point the user at a
>> storage group at the other site.
>> As the mail attributes are "attributes" of the account
in the AD without
>> doing some tricky programming you can't seem to

disassociate a userid with
Quote:>> one mailbox store and reassociate with another. ( If I
really tried I
>> probably could do this, but if I did would I get

support from Microsoft

>> later on???...it think not).

>> I look forward to any other conculsions you come up
with.

>> P.S Jerry Cochran wrote quite a good book on Disaster
Recovery for
>Exchange
>> 2000.

>> Cheers

>> Nigel

>> > Thanks for the reply, Mark. I have had troubles in
the past with tape
>> media
>> > (reliability/speed)  so that I try to avoid it when i
can unless the
>> client
>> > has a solid datacenter/server room setup which is

rare for my clients.
Quote:>> > BackupExec and Arcserver might allow backup to disk
instead,I can't
>recall
>> > offhand. I'm less concerned however, and i didn't

make this clear in my
Quote:>> > first post--my bad--with how to do the backup as the
strategy for a
>> recovery
>> > if hardware dies and new server needs building. What
I can't seem to
>find
>> is
>> > the details on how servers are interacting with

Active Directory and how
Quote:>> > mail routing/information stores are involved...

building new machines to

>> > replace dead ones seems to be more tircky with AD. My
current searches
>are
>> > along the AD route to see if I can f{ w
{ "#Te* "Sd
>eind clues....

>> > Chris

>> > btw, should I locate such info i'll post it here as
well for
>distribution.

1. Seeking Backup Strategies

[...]

2. Changed IP Address

3. E2K Active/Passive Backup Strategy?

4. Offline Address book

5. Backup strategy ?

6. Urgent! Retriving Contacts and Calender from Exchange Server

7. Right Backup Strategy

8. Cross-site listing in GAL

9. Backup Strategies

10. Exchange Backup Strategies