mail relaying and smtp

mail relaying and smtp

Post by Andy Web » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00



The "authenticated users" option may work for you if you use Outlook or
Outlook Express.

--
=======================================================
Andy Webb

Simpler-Webb, Inc.                Austin, TX     "Mauve has more RAM" -
Dilbert
=======================================================

Quote:> Hi All,
>     I am having a problem with stopping mail relaying in my exchange 5.5
SP2
> server.  The problem is that I need some users to be able to use the
> exchange server from remote internet connections (ie: I dont know what IP
> address they will have).  I have looked at the routing restrictions in SP2
> but they seem (I could be wrong) to rely on IP address ranges.  Is it
> possible to restrict relayin on domain name in the reply address (similar
to
> send mail on a unix system).  If not does anyone have any ideas on how I
can
> make it happen.

> Cheers

> --
> Robert Huddlestone
> Senior Systems Engineer
> Business Technologies Pty Ltd
> Phone (03) 98102888
> Fax (03) 98102899
> ICQ # 37622134

 
 
 

mail relaying and smtp

Post by Robert Huddleston » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00


Hi All,
    I am having a problem with stopping mail relaying in my exchange 5.5 SP2
server.  The problem is that I need some users to be able to use the
exchange server from remote internet connections (ie: I dont know what IP
address they will have).  I have looked at the routing restrictions in SP2
but they seem (I could be wrong) to rely on IP address ranges.  Is it
possible to restrict relayin on domain name in the reply address (similar to
send mail on a unix system).  If not does anyone have any ideas on how I can
make it happen.

Cheers

--
Robert Huddlestone
Senior Systems Engineer
Business Technologies Pty Ltd
Phone (03) 98102888
Fax (03) 98102899
ICQ # 37622134

 
 
 

mail relaying and smtp

Post by Rich Matheisen [MV » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00



>    I am having a problem with stopping mail relaying in my exchange 5.5 SP2
>server.  The problem is that I need some users to be able to use the
>exchange server from remote internet connections (ie: I dont know what IP
>address they will have).  I have looked at the routing restrictions in SP2
>but they seem (I could be wrong) to rely on IP address ranges.  Is it
>possible to restrict relayin on domain name in the reply address (similar to
>send mail on a unix system).  If not does anyone have any ideas on how I can
>make it happen.

Why not allow only authenticated users to relay? There's no dependency
on IP addresses.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

 
 
 

mail relaying and smtp

Post by Jeffrey Lev » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00


It doesn't work.

--
Jeffrey Levy


>The "authenticated users" option may work for you if you use Outlook or
>Outlook Express.

>--
>=======================================================
>Andy Webb

>Simpler-Webb, Inc.                Austin, TX     "Mauve has more RAM" -
>Dilbert
>=======================================================


>> Hi All,
>>     I am having a problem with stopping mail relaying in my exchange 5.5
>SP2
>> server.  The problem is that I need some users to be able to use the
>> exchange server from remote internet connections (ie: I dont know what IP
>> address they will have).  I have looked at the routing restrictions in
SP2
>> but they seem (I could be wrong) to rely on IP address ranges.  Is it
>> possible to restrict relayin on domain name in the reply address (similar
>to
>> send mail on a unix system).  If not does anyone have any ideas on how I
>can
>> make it happen.

>> Cheers

>> --
>> Robert Huddlestone
>> Senior Systems Engineer
>> Business Technologies Pty Ltd
>> Phone (03) 98102888
>> Fax (03) 98102899
>> ICQ # 37622134

 
 
 

mail relaying and smtp

Post by Chris Schar » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00


What doesn't work?


>It doesn't work.

>--
>Jeffrey Levy


>>The "authenticated users" option may work for you if you use Outlook or
>>Outlook Express.

>>--
>>=======================================================
>>Andy Webb

>>Simpler-Webb, Inc.                Austin, TX     "Mauve has more RAM" -
>>Dilbert
>>=======================================================


>>> Hi All,
>>>     I am having a problem with stopping mail relaying in my exchange 5.5
>>SP2
>>> server.  The problem is that I need some users to be able to use the
>>> exchange server from remote internet connections (ie: I dont know what IP
>>> address they will have).  I have looked at the routing restrictions in
>SP2
>>> but they seem (I could be wrong) to rely on IP address ranges.  Is it
>>> possible to restrict relayin on domain name in the reply address (similar
>>to
>>> send mail on a unix system).  If not does anyone have any ideas on how I
>>can
>>> make it happen.

>>> Cheers

>>> --
>>> Robert Huddlestone
>>> Senior Systems Engineer
>>> Business Technologies Pty Ltd
>>> Phone (03) 98102888
>>> Fax (03) 98102899
>>> ICQ # 37622134

 
 
 

mail relaying and smtp

Post by Jeffrey Lev » Mon, 24 May 1999 04:00:00


Had a problem, but found a kb article that fixed it.

--
Jeffrey Levy


>What doesn't work?


>>It doesn't work.

>>--
>>Jeffrey Levy


>>>The "authenticated users" option may work for you if you use Outlook or
>>>Outlook Express.

>>>--
>>>=======================================================
>>>Andy Webb

>>>Simpler-Webb, Inc.                Austin, TX     "Mauve has more RAM" -
>>>Dilbert
>>>=======================================================


>>>> Hi All,
>>>>     I am having a problem with stopping mail relaying in my exchange
5.5
>>>SP2
>>>> server.  The problem is that I need some users to be able to use the
>>>> exchange server from remote internet connections (ie: I dont know what
IP
>>>> address they will have).  I have looked at the routing restrictions in
>>SP2
>>>> but they seem (I could be wrong) to rely on IP address ranges.  Is it
>>>> possible to restrict relayin on domain name in the reply address
(similar
>>>to
>>>> send mail on a unix system).  If not does anyone have any ideas on how
I
>>>can
>>>> make it happen.

>>>> Cheers

>>>> --
>>>> Robert Huddlestone
>>>> Senior Systems Engineer
>>>> Business Technologies Pty Ltd
>>>> Phone (03) 98102888
>>>> Fax (03) 98102899
>>>> ICQ # 37622134

 
 
 

1. Mail Relay - encapulated SMTP address??

Did it really fail or is the test just too dumb to realize that
RFC1123 says that a NDR is an acceptable response to a relay attmempt?
I'd guess that it's the latter. They probably insist on seeing a 550
response.

Send the cyber-terrorists that claim to be protecting the world that
they're spreading FUD.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

2. How do I

3. How to Configure the IIS 5 SMTP Service to Relay SMTP Mail

4. improper recipient address problems

5. Relay SMTP Mails to different SMTP Adress

6. Undo DS/IS consistancy check

7. How can I relay mail to different mail relay hosts

8. Command-Line Directory Import

9. SMTP relay not relaying

10. SMTP mail relay

11. SMTP Mail Relay

12. SMTP mail relay

13. Incoming SMTP mail fails: unable to relay error