exchange 5.5 and BACKUPS(arcserve or seagate?)

exchange 5.5 and BACKUPS(arcserve or seagate?)

Post by Bill Lync » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

We are looking to purchase a mailbox level backup\restore program and
was looking any assistance. Has anyone used either of the above
products.
Pros\Cons. Thanks in advance.

Bill

exchange 5.5 and BACKUPS(arcserve or seagate?)

Post by Bill Bowle » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

    Seagate Backup Exec for Windows NT has an agent for Exchange Server that
is excellent. http://www.seagatesoftware.com. Check it out.

>Hi,

>We are looking to purchase a mailbox level backup\restore program and
>was looking any assistance. Has anyone used either of the above
>products.
>Pros\Cons. Thanks in advance.

>Bill

exchange 5.5 and BACKUPS(arcserve or seagate?)

Post by Mark Thoma » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

The way to go is Computer Associates ArcserveIT 6.6 for NT (Workgroup or
Exterprise edition) with Exchange Backup agent 6.6.  You can do what is
called a Brick Level backup.  This allows you to specifically choose
exactly what mailbox you want to backup and even what container.  Works
great.  Obviously it will not backup hidden mailboxes.  I presently have
it running on Exchange  5.0 sp2 and do most of the administration
remotely from an NT4 Wks.

Mark

Post by Rich Matheis » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>The way to go is Computer Associates ArcserveIT 6.6 for NT (Workgroup or
>Exterprise edition) with Exchange Backup agent 6.6.  You can do what is
>called a Brick Level backup.  This allows you to specifically choose
>exactly what mailbox you want to backup and even what container.  Works
>great.  Obviously it will not backup hidden mailboxes.  I presently have
>it running on Exchange  5.0 sp2 and do most of the administration
>remotely from an NT4 Wks.

Have you actually tried restoring one of those mailboxes? Have you
noticed the absence of things like "From:" and "To:" on the messages?

The "brick" backup may be okay to use on a few mailboxes, but it's NOT
what you want to use for recovering from a disk crash!

exchange 5.5 and BACKUPS(arcserve or seagate?)

Post by Michael Melende » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I use Arcserve 6.5 for NT (build 620) with Exchange Backup Agent 2.0 (build
57)  and Arcserve Disaster Recovery.  It works great.  I tested it and it
took only a half hour for me to rebuild an exchange  server from a full tape
backup.  Only problem is that all objects are not backed up.  Hopefully in
next Exchange Backup Agent it will.   It only backs up Inbox, Outbox, Sent
Items and Deleted Items.

>The way to go is Computer Associates ArcserveIT 6.6 for NT (Workgroup or
>Exterprise edition) with Exchange Backup agent 6.6.  You can do what is
>called a Brick Level backup.  This allows you to specifically choose
>exactly what mailbox you want to backup and even what container.  Works
>great.  Obviously it will not backup hidden mailboxes.  I presently have
>it running on Exchange  5.0 sp2 and do most of the administration
>remotely from an NT4 Wks.

>Mark

>> Hi,

>> We are looking to purchase a mailbox level backup\restore program and
>> was looking any assistance. Has anyone used either of the above
>> products.
>> Pros\Cons. Thanks in advance.

>> Bill

exchange 5.5 and BACKUPS(arcserve or seagate?)

BackupExec 7.2 is the way to go with the Exchange agent..it works great.