Error Message Event ID 9215.

Post by J.C. » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 19:10:01

Event ID: 9215
Source: MSExchangeMTA
Category: Operating System
will attempt to recover the sockets connection. Control block index: 1.
[BASE IL TCP/IP DRVR 8 262] (12)

Microsofts knowledgebase (Q170056) describes a similar problem. It says:
    Event ID: 9215
   Source: MSExchangeMTA
   Type: Warning Category: Operating System
   A sockets error 10061 on a connect() call was detected.
   The MTA will attempt to recover the sockets connection.
   Control block index: 1. [BASE IL TCP/IP DRVR 8 274] (12)

CAUSE
The above errors indicate that the server that the messages are destined for
is either down or cannot be reached on the network.

Things to check for:
Try to ping the other server by both IP address and Servername.
Try to do a NET VIEW \\Servername to verify NetBios name resolution.
Try to do a NET USE \\Servername\IPC$ to verify rights issues.

If steps 1 and 2 fail, the problem is one of basic network connectivity.
Check the IP address and the WINS/DNS/HOSTS files.

If step 3 fails, check the Windows NT access rights for the Exchange Service
Account being used.

When I try a NET VIEW \\SERVER I get an error and I can't view the share
folders in this machine.

Does anyone have any idea???

TIA
Marcel

Error Message Event ID 9215.

Post by J.C. » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 19:40:06

[...]

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 09:19:19

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>When I try a NET VIEW \\SERVER I get an error and I can't view the share
>folders in this machine.

>Does anyone have any idea???

I almost didn't see the question buried under all the other stuff.

If you can't see the shares on the server, what error was returned?
Was it a 53, a 5, or some other error code?

Without more information, I'd suggest making sure WINS is functioning
properly.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Error Message Event ID 9215.

Post by J.C. » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 15:36:55

The error is --> 234 : There are aditional data or something like that.

Thanks.

Error Message Event ID 9215.

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 06 Jun 2002 09:13:57

>The error is --> 234 : There are aditional data or something like that.

Like this?
Share Names Greater Than 12 Characters Cause Errors on Clients
[Q145949]

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. A lot of socket errors (Event ID 9215)

Hi,

We administer the top Exchange server (a Hub-server) in an organization with
15 sites and 30 servers under this one. Through he (Exchange 5.5 + SP2) pass
successfully about 100.000 messages every day. But we find about 500 events
in Event Viewer. These events (ID 9215) say:

ID: 9215
Source: MSExchangeMTA
Type: Warning
" sockets error XXXXXXconnect() call was detected. The MTA will attempt to
recover the sockets connection. Control block index: 11. [BASE IL TCP/IP
DRVR 8 262] (12) "
For us, everytime, XXXXXX=0.

We've read in KB about this message, and we've found in the article Q170056
"In the 9215 error, the sockets  XXXXXX message indicates that the
connection was refused".
The article points that the cause is "that the server that the messages are
destined for is either down or cannot be reached on the network".

We have checked for three steps (ping, net view, and net use) with the
following results:
- ping              OK
-Net View       error 53 (The network path was not found.)
-Net Use        error 53 (The network path was not found.)

We are sure that our Host file are completed and free of errors for our
servers. We think, that via IP we shouldn't have any connectivity errors.
But, why appears these connection errors?
We have installed on this server TCP/IP & NETBEUI. The TCP/IP protocol is
configured to use DNS, WINS and LMHOST, and is not allowed to DNS  translate
Windows Names.
Is Exchange trying to connect via NETBEUI?

Please, somebody can helps us?

Thanks in advance.
    Jess Huerta

PS.- Sorry mi english, he is under construction.

2. insufficent_access_rights

3. Event Id 9215

4. Client's Mailboxes, Where?

5. Event ID 9215