Exchange NDR

Post by Rachae » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 22:02:24

Occasionaly I get these NDR's:
-503 Not accepting any command except QUIT
-554 Invalid data in message

Does anyone know what this means, I can't seem
to find anytning on them in the Knowledge Base
Please Help!!!!

Rachael

Exchange NDR

Post by Susan VanAlle » Fri, 23 Aug 2002 22:20:41

Do you get these when you are sending, or receiving?
What version of Exchange?
Anything in the app log?
--
Susan VanAllen
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Quote:> Occasionaly I get these NDR's:
> -503 Not accepting any command except QUIT
> -554 Invalid data in message

> Does anyone know what this means, I can't seem
> to find anytning on them in the Knowledge Base
> Please Help!!!!

> Rachael

Exchange NDR

Post by Ulrich Schroete » Sat, 24 Aug 2002 00:31:02

these are still SMTP error codes created by smtp gateways ... (all 4xx:
temporarely problem,
i.e. service down, retry delivery later - all 5xx: this is not a temporarely
problem, this is
a permanent error, this gateway will not handle _this_ mail in any
circumstance ... first
from or to addresses or message text must be changed before accepting mail
delivery )
not accepting any command except QUIT ... reads like a closed or
misconfigured
SMTP gateway ....
Invalid data in message .... reads like an SMTP filter gateway that scans
the
data stream online and rejects the delivery of that message in case of
blocked  "text phrases" (i.e. *) ...

regards, uli   ;-)

>Occasionaly I get these NDR's:
>-503 Not accepting any command except QUIT
>-554 Invalid data in message

>Does anyone know what this means, I can't seem
>to find anytning on them in the Knowledge Base
>Please Help!!!!

>Rachael

1. NDR - 5.1.8 - Undocumented Exchange NDR Error

Hi,

We have an ES2000 SP1 and a W2K SP2.  We've got an SMTP connector
installed with an address space *, this connector use dns to send
mail.
If we sent a mail to whatever address we like it works, also internal
mail doesn't give a problem.  Now if the customer on that server try

5.1.8.  Stating that the person coldn't be found in the organization
and probably moved to another one.

So what I've tried also to do is make a second SMTP connector with
businesssolutions.be in the address space and told the connector to
deliver the mail to a smart host (mail.businesssolutions.be - which is
the actual SMTP server for that domain) but it still doesn't work
after restarting all the ES services.

Now we added a second ES2000 + W2K for another organization that is on
the same physical network we also created the AD schema but completely
standalone.  So we created a new forest also with a new ES
organization.  The strange thing is is they want to mail to the
external email addresses of the first organization they get an NDR
5.1.8 also.  When the first organization mails to the second again the
5.1.8 NDR appears.

It's a very frustrating error and I can't seem to find anywhere on the
net, nor the ms website, a document concerning the error.

If somebody has this error also or knows a solution please contact me
so we can combine our forces.

thx and regards!
Christof Vandewalle
System Engineer Business Solutions

2. Specific fixes addressed by Service Packs

3. multi-domain

4. Exchange NDR Help

5. After NTBACKUP, log files still in MDBDATA

6. Exchange NDR

7. Is this a moderated group?

8. Exchange NDR's

9. Exchange NDR error message

10. Sendmail Problem with Exchange NDR's

11. MS Exchange NDR