Moving Exchange to a new/different domain

Moving Exchange to a new/different domain

Post by David Olszewsk » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I want to move the Exchange users and mailboxes from one Exchange server to
a completely different server in a completely different domain on a
completely different network. Can I do this using the backup tapes? Can I do
it at all? Please advise!

Moving Exchange to a new/different domain

Post by Mitch Orndorf » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:00:00

You can but not from backup tapes.  You have to use the migration utility or
exporting to a pst file on each computer.  The reason, when you create a
mailbox, that mailbox is related to that domain.  So you need to use the
migrate utility or export the users mail to a pst file and then import it
back to the new server.  Working on this very same problem to.

Mitch Orndorff

Quote:> I want to move the Exchange users and mailboxes from one Exchange server
> a completely different server in a completely different domain on a
> completely different network. Can I do this using the backup tapes? Can I
do
> it at all? Please advise!

Moving Exchange to a new/different domain

Post by Henry Hic » Wed, 30 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Read up on Mover Server Wizard.

Quote:> I want to move the Exchange users and mailboxes from one Exchange server
> a completely different server in a completely different domain on a
> completely different network. Can I do this using the backup tapes? Can I
do
> it at all? Please advise!

Moving Exchange to a new/different domain

Post by David Olszewsk » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I don't want to (and can't) move the Server itself into a new domain. I just
want to move the users' mail. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Mover Server
Wizard is not the correct option for this!

> Read up on Mover Server Wizard.

> > I want to move the Exchange users and mailboxes from one Exchange server
> > a completely different server in a completely different domain on a
> > completely different network. Can I do this using the backup tapes? Can
> do
> > it at all? Please advise!

Moving Exchange to a new/different domain

Post by Henry Hic » Thu, 31 Aug 2000 04:00:00

You are correct and I sit corrected.  That's what I get for not reading the
question correctly.