Need Help with C++

Post by Thomas Engelmeie » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Ah, I see. The example I was working from was one showing
multiple classes
> being derived from one base class, and I didn't realize that a
pointer
> defined as the base class but allocated as a child class would
only point to
> enough memory for the parent. Problem solved :)

That is not really correct. It will point to an arbitrary sized chunk of
memory to the location where the base class structure begins.
And the compiler knows for that structure only about the members
which are declared fort that particular (base)class. To tell the
compiler "there is some functionality existing,  but it will be defined
(well, to be precise: overriden) in a subclass", use the "virtual"
keyword...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Student needing help in C++ winsock programming

I am a student in my final year trying to write a server and client TCP/IP
application. The server needs to send data to the clients and both apps
need to display the same data on the screen. I'm new to C++ and winsock
programming, I have several books but I need some help in cutting through
the garbage and getting to the point. Specifically how to implement the
transfer of data. If you can help or point me in the right direction it
would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ken Ernstberger

Computer Engineering Technology
Red River College

2. Outlook or Outlook?????????????? Please Help

3. Need help with C++ ObjectWindows/ObjectGraphics

4. converting Win98/DOS batch files to Win2k....

5. Need help transfer C++ to VB

6. frequency estimation

7. Need Help-Borland C++ OWL, TPXPictureValidator

8. Out of process COM server & callbacks

9. Need help with C++ Program

10. Newbie needs help with c++

11. need help in c++

12. need help in C++