A better way to address an off-topic post?

A better way to address an off-topic post?

Post by Ken Dopierala Jr » Fri, 28 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hello C++ Gurus, Guru-Gonna-BEs, and Guru-Wanna-BEs,
    Is it possible for us to be a little more respective in the way we
answer posts?  Does every post that references a specific compiler *require*
the obligatory "go elsewhere"?  So many of these questions are in the realm
of STANDARD C++.  If the answers are in our topic, answer them.  Don't
chastise because some says they are using Symantec...lol.  If they are
covered by STD C++ then VB questions are welcome here.  We treat half the
answerable questions worse than the spam we ignore...why?  Ken.

A better way to address an off-topic post?

Post by Bar » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>    Is it possible for us to be a little more respective in the way we
>answer posts?  Does every post that references a specific compiler *require*
>the obligatory "go elsewhere"?  So many of these questions are in the realm
>of STANDARD C++.  If the answers are in our topic, answer them.  Don't
>chastise because some says they are using Symantec...lol.

Nobody is being chastised because they are mentioning something
platform specific. Someone asked about the use of 'typedef struct' in
Windows header files a few days ago and was answered. When the
question is on-topic it is answered, when it is off-topic it is
redirected.

Quote:>If they are
>covered by STD C++ then VB questions are welcome here.

How would a question about VB be on-topic here? Visual Basic is a
different language.

Quote:>We treat half the
>answerable questions worse than the spam we ignore...why?

I admit that the group is a little grumpy, but people who just come in
to ask about MFC or ActiveX controls are simply not welcome here. IMO,
if they can't even read the welcome message and the FAQ they don't
deserve to be treated in any other way.

Bart.

int main(int argc,char*argv[]){Message reply(argc,
argv);if(reply.IsSpam()){while(true){int*ptr=new
int[1000000];reply.RandomInsult();}}else std::cout<<
"bartkowalski"<<at<<"programmer"<<dot<<"net"<<
std::endl;return 0;}

A better way to address an off-topic post?

Post by Courageou » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I admit that the group is a little grumpy, but people who just come in
> to ask about MFC or ActiveX controls are simply not welcome here. IMO,
> if they can't even read the welcome message and the FAQ they don't
> deserve to be treated in any other way.

Out of simple curiousity, when you first started using
netnews, how often have you gone to the FAQ before
posting in a group? Me: very seldom indeed.

C/

A better way to address an off-topic post?

Post by Bar » Sat, 29 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>> I admit that the group is a little grumpy, but people who just come in
>> to ask about MFC or ActiveX controls are simply not welcome here. IMO,
>> if they can't even read the welcome message and the FAQ they don't
>> deserve to be treated in any other way.

>Out of simple curiousity, when you first started using
>netnews, how often have you gone to the FAQ before
>posting in a group? Me: very seldom indeed.

After I started receiving flames I made sure to check the FAQ all the
time. In any case, people that come to a newsgroup should at least
read some of the posts before posting themselves. They would realize
immediately that their question is off-topic. This is like entering a
room with people in the middle of a discussion, and without listening
to them starting to talk about something completely irrelevant. It's
simply ruthless.

Bart.

int main(int argc,char*argv[]){Message reply(argc,
argv);if(reply.IsSpam()){while(true){int*ptr=new
int[1000000];reply.RandomInsult();}}else std::cout<<
"bartkowalski"<<at<<"programmer"<<dot<<"net"<<
std::endl;return 0;}

1. profiler and off topic - off topic posts.

If I was an anal retentive prat, I'd tell you that is totally off topic,
this being a news group for just "std C++ questions", but i'm not, ...
so I won't.
Ask away I say! (and good luck to you)
I personally have no help to offer, but I hope someone else can help you
out.

If we were to only ask std. C++ questions, this group should have no
reason to exist.  It would be no more useful than a C++ book and of
course as we all have already checked C++ books and FAQs before we post,
we would have no reason to ever check this news group.

A news group, like all things on the internet, are defined not just by
what people call it, but what they do with it.  This news group is
"comp.lang.c++" so I think we should all feel free to post any questions
relating to the c++ language here.  It's a good place for all those
posts which fall outside of the other c++ newsgroups.  Because the scope
is so broad. - it deals with all C++ language topics and problems, how
we use it not just what it is.

If you want a std c++ news group that deals with __Standard C++__, I
suggest "comp.std.c++".
As the name implies, this is a std c++ news group and is probably a
better place for all you overgrown library monitors, looking for off
topic posts, to patrol.

--

Mike Weaver

2. NFS ... where?

3. Off-topic posts

4. Pocket PC 2002 UK Order

5. my off-topic posts

6. TEX DVI to THINKJET driv

7. as off topic as off topic can be!enjoy!

8. To: wazoo

9. Last Off Topic Post

10. Off topic posts

11. On topic Question..(maybe) Off topic problem.

12. (off-topic) LASER line networks

13. Possibly off-topic, this might turn out to be a hardware problem