Announcing wxWindows 2.4.0: a cross-platform GUI toolkit

Announcing wxWindows 2.4.0: a cross-platform GUI toolkit

Post by Shane McDanie » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 23:45:32

Perhaps if this company actually did proper research they would find out
that this group isn't concerned with GUI dev in any way, at least not
till c++ offers a GUI toolkit in the std in c++300x. :)

-shane

Announcing wxWindows 2.4.0: a cross-platform GUI toolkit

Post by Bob Hairgro » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 04:52:43

On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 09:45:32 -0500, Shane McDaniel

>Perhaps if this company actually did proper research they would find out
>that this group isn't concerned with GUI dev in any way, at least not
>till c++ offers a GUI toolkit in the std in c++300x. :)

No, but this NG *is* concerned with anything which supports
platform-independent C++ code adhering to the C++ standard.

Since AFAIK this is the *only* GUI toolkit which is not bound to any
specific OS (and not requiring special libraries which are subject to
purchase and/or GNU license restrictions), I would say ... why not?

I'm interested!

Bob Hairgrove

Post by Greg Schmid » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 05:02:54

On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 09:45:32 -0500, Shane McDaniel

>Perhaps if this company actually did proper research they would find out
>that this group isn't concerned with GUI dev in any way, at least not
>till c++ offers a GUI toolkit in the std in c++300x. :)

What would be the proper group for such messages to be posted in?  I
don't have anything in my subscribed list that looks more appropriate
than this one.  The server I'm using has 30,000+ groups and I searched
for C++ in the names, but still didn't see anything better.  I am
somewhat interested in announcements of this nature, so there must be
a useful group that I'm missing out on.

--

  Trawna Publications (http://www.trawna.com/)
    Fiction Into Film List (http://fictionintofilm.trawna.com/)

Post by Kaz Kylhe » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 07:20:44

> On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 09:45:32 -0500, Shane McDaniel

> >Perhaps if this company actually did proper research they would find out
> >that this group isn't concerned with GUI dev in any way, at least not
> >till c++ offers a GUI toolkit in the std in c++300x. :)

> What would be the proper group for such messages to be posted in?  I

You must be willing to drop your belief that such a newsgroup exists;
it's possible that it does not.

Quote:> don't have anything in my subscribed list that looks more appropriate
> than this one.

``There is no integer in the set {-3 -2 -1} that is closer to positive
infinity than -1. Therefore -1 is positive.''

Quote:> The server I'm using has 30,000+ groups and I searched
> for C++ in the names, but still didn't see anything better.

``There is no integer in the set {-30000, -29999, ... , -2, -1 } that
is closer to positive infinity than -1. Therefore, -1 is positive.''

Quote:> I am
> somewhat interested in announcements of this nature, so there must be
> a useful group that I'm missing out on.

That is a strange notion of causality.

Try www.freshmeat.net; it's a site for announcing software that runs
on Unix. You can search for projects by name, or a myriad categories,
and subscribe to be notified for updates by individual project. This
site also automatically posts announcements to the fm.announce
newsgroup.

FreshMeat lists the GTK port of wxWindows, because obviously the Win32
port is off-topic for the site. ;) See
http://www.freshmeat.net/projects/wxwindowsgtk.

Post by Bob Hairgro » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:15:51

Quote:>> The server I'm using has 30,000+ groups and I searched
>> for C++ in the names, but still didn't see anything better.

>``There is no integer in the set {-30000, -29999, ... , -2, -1 } that
>is closer to positive infinity than -1. Therefore, -1 is positive.''

Your analogy is crooked. It should read more like this:

``There is no integer in the set {-30000, -29999, ... , -2, -1 } that
is closer to positive infinity than -1. Therefore, -1 is as close as I
can come to being positive.''

He didn't say that this was "the right newsgroup", merely the "best he
could see".

Aren't we being a bit harsh?

Bob Hairgrove

Post by Emil Mro » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:39:43

>Aren't we being a bit harsh?

NAHAY?

Post by Kaz Kylhe » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 07:27:29

> >> The server I'm using has 30,000+ groups and I searched
> >> for C++ in the names, but still didn't see anything better.

> >``There is no integer in the set {-30000, -29999, ... , -2, -1 } that
> >is closer to positive infinity than -1. Therefore, -1 is positive.''

> Your analogy is crooked. It should read more like this:

> ``There is no integer in the set {-30000, -29999, ... , -2, -1 } that
> is closer to positive infinity than -1. Therefore, -1 is as close as I
> can come to being positive.''

What does it mean to be ``close'' to being positive, and of what value
is it when you require an actual positive number?

Quote:> He didn't say that this was "the right newsgroup", merely the "best he
> could see".

There is no such gradient. Either the newsgroup is right, or it isn't.
That's the point of the analogy: the greatest negative number in a set
isn't necessarily a positive number.

Here is another analogy: suppose you need size 34 jeans, but the store
you visit is all out: the only sizes in stock are 26, 28 and 30. Do
you buy a pair in size 30 because it's the closest to fitting you? You
can't wear any of those sizes, so ranking them by proximity to your
actual size is irrelevant. Size 30, though bigger, does *not* fit you
better than size 26, despite being closer to the number 34. No, you go
to another store.

Post by Greg Schmid » Sat, 11 Jan 2003 08:39:00

>> On Tue, 07 Jan 2003 09:45:32 -0500, Shane McDaniel

>> >Perhaps if this company actually did proper research they would find out
>> >that this group isn't concerned with GUI dev in any way, at least not
>> >till c++ offers a GUI toolkit in the std in c++300x. :)

>> What would be the proper group for such messages to be posted in?  I

>You must be willing to drop your belief that such a newsgroup exists;
>it's possible that it does not.

I am quite willing to do so.  If nobody knows of a better newsgroup,
then I am quite willing to accept that.

Quote:>> The server I'm using has 30,000+ groups and I searched
>> for C++ in the names, but still didn't see anything better.

>``There is no integer in the set {-30000, -29999, ... , -2, -1 } that
>is closer to positive infinity than -1. Therefore, -1 is positive.''

Newsgroup name searching is a multi-dimensional problem; your analogy
is only one dimensional and hence is flawed.  I intentionally (albeit
implicitly) left open the possibilities that there is a better group
not provided on the server I use or that there is a better group
without C++ in the name.

Quote:>> I am
>> somewhat interested in announcements of this nature, so there must be
>> a useful group that I'm missing out on.

>That is a strange notion of causality.

It has been my experience that things I am interested in are things
that many others are also interested in.  It has also been my
experience that things that many others are interested in have
newsgroups created for discussing these things.  If there is indeed no
newsgroup that is suitable for posting such a message, then this
situation is outside my realm of experience.  I will adjust my mental
model of usenet appropriately.

Quote:>Try www.freshmeat.net; it's a site for announcing software that runs
>on Unix. You can search for projects by name, or a myriad categories,
>and subscribe to be notified for updates by individual project. This
>site also automatically posts announcements to the fm.announce
>newsgroup.

>FreshMeat lists the GTK port of wxWindows, because obviously the Win32
>port is off-topic for the site. ;) See
>http://www.freshmeat.net/projects/wxwindowsgtk.

Thanks for the pointer.  This information, perhaps preceded by a
simple "there is no appropriate group for this", would have made a
splendid response to my question.  Too bad it was rather spoiled by
the belittling attacks you felt compelled to add.

--

  Trawna Publications (http://www.trawna.com/)
    Fiction Into Film List (http://fictionintofilm.trawna.com/)
      Seven Wonders of the Web (http://7ww.trawna.com/)

Announcing wxWindows 2.4.0: a cross-platform GUI toolkit

Post by Hillel Y. Sim » Sun, 12 Jan 2003 12:42:00

Quote:> There is no such gradient. Either the newsgroup is right, or it isn't.

Oh puhleeze...

Quote:> That's the point of the analogy: the greatest negative number in a set
> isn't necessarily a positive number.

It's not a very good analogy, unless natural language suddenly became
subject to the absolute rules of mathematics and I haven't heard about it..

;-)

hys
(If anyone ever measures the ratio of [maybe] off-topic posts to "this is
the wrong newsgroup" responses in this group, I wouldn't be too surprised if
it's a lot closer to 0 than to 1...)