problem with shl_load for shared libraries

problem with shl_load for shared libraries

Post by Khurshid H Usman » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Need help on a problem with the "shl_load"  function in C/C++. We are
trying to load a shared library which depends on other shared libraries
and stuff from a static library. The problem with shl_load is that it
can load the other dependent shared libraries but it gives "unresolved
symbols" for all the symbols that should have come from the static
library. This error is understandable but we are trying to find a way to
get rid of it. We can not find a shared version of the static library in
question.

Thanks,

Khurshid H Usmani

problem with shl_load for shared libraries

Post by Khurshid H Usman » Fri, 03 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> Need help on a problem with the "shl_load"  function in C/C++. We are
> trying to load a shared library which depends on other shared libraries
> and stuff from a static library. The problem with shl_load is that it
> can load the other dependent shared libraries but it gives "unresolved
> symbols" for all the symbols that should have come from the static
> library. This error is understandable but we are trying to find a way to
> get rid of it. We can not find a shared version of the static library in
> question.

> Thanks,

> Khurshid H Usmani

problem with shl_load for shared libraries

Post by David Pete » Sat, 04 Dec 1999 04:00:00

You don't say which system you're on but as you're using shl_load I
would guess HP-UX. Are you trying to actually dynamically load the
static (archive) library? If so I would guess that this won't work. Try
linking against it instead. Any symbols that it contains should be
availble to other shared libraries.

> Need help on a problem with the "shl_load"  function in C/C++. We are
> trying to load a shared library which depends on other shared libraries
> and stuff from a static library. The problem with shl_load is that it
> can load the other dependent shared libraries but it gives "unresolved
> symbols" for all the symbols that should have come from the static
> library. This error is understandable but we are trying to find a way to
> get rid of it. We can not find a shared version of the static library in
> question.

> Thanks,

> Khurshid H Usmani

problem with shl_load for shared libraries

Post by Lawrence Kir » Sun, 05 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Need help on a problem with the "shl_load"  function in C/C++.

Neither C nor C++ define any function called "shl_load".

Quote:>We are
>trying to load a shared library which depends on other shared libraries
>and stuff from a static library.

Shared libraries are an inherently OS/compiler specific feature. You'll
need to ask aout them in a newsgroup relating to the particular
OS/compiler you are using. Unfortunately you failed to mention what that
is.

1. Building shared libraries that contain static libraries.

I am trying to build a shared library in C++ which incorporates a
third party library which is only available for static linking. I am
experiencing the same problem on both Solaris 2.7 and Linux (RH 7.0),
although a windows version works fine.

I am getting an unresolved symbol error when I try and load the shared
library and the symbol it is looking for is in the static library that
was linked with my code. I believe this is related to the way the
WSpro 5 compiler and gcc 2.96 compiler work with static libraries
linked in dynamic libraries. I have been told that the compiler does
not actually link the static elements in but expects any client apps
to link in the static libraries as well. My problem here is that the
client is a java app using JNI so I cannot link in the static
libraries.

Is my understanding correct and is there any way to force either
compiler to include the static components ? I have approached the 3rd
party vendor and they are quoting in excess of 6 months to get a
dynamic version of their library available, I have to complete this by
Christmas so this is not an option.

Thanks

Simon

2. Can not "SIGN IN" any more // .NET passport.

3. pthreads and shared library problem?

4. Help me please !!

5. shared library and -lpthread problem under solaris

6. Arbitrary syntax coloring with Visual Studio .NET?

7. Help - Destruction of static variables in different shared libraries causing problem

8. 679148.wlt

9. Problem creating a shared library using g++

10. C++ shared libraries, static objects, problems

11. Problems using C interface and shared objects to isolate C++ libraries

12. Can't shl_load()...TLS error

13. unresolved external ... while trying shl_load