Active Directory Connector--I'm confused.

Active Directory Connector--I'm confused.

Post by Todd Fuhrma » Sat, 09 Nov 2002 14:28:25

I began years ago with an NT4.0 domain and had Exchange 5.5SP4. I  migrated
my last NT4 domain controller (the one that hosted Exchange5.5SP4) to a new
Windows 2000SP3 server yesterday.  I am now in native domain mode. I
installed Exchange 5.5SP4 using the /R switch and the server is up and
running, mailboxes are associated with the correct accounts and everyone is
able to access their email.

Now I understand I have to run the ADC (is that correct, must I do it?) I
want to do an inplace upgrade of Exchange (there is only Exchange server in
the domain).

If I must do it, I don't fully understand how it replicates information.  My
Active Directory structure does not match the recipients container structure
in exchange.  Does that matter?  I installed the ADC and started to set up a
connection but cancelled it.  Currently all users are under the users
container in AD.

Should I setup empty containers in AD to mirror the structure I have in
recipients containers in exchange?  Move the user accounts in AD to the
correct containers (to match the recipient structure) and then setup
connectors for each container?  Should I do one way (which one) or 2 way.

Any insight into this would be very helpful, I have really tried to find the
information on exactly what ADC does.  I have searched MS, Swynk, Exchange
Admin and tried to find info here in this newsgroup.

So now I'm asking if someone can lend me a hand.  Thanks in advance.

Active Directory Connector--I'm confused.

Post by Grad » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 01:06:50

You should first run a forest prep and domain prep on your AD. This
will prepare AD for the exchange objects. Once this is done setup the
ADC and this will replicate all the exchange info into the AD
structure. You also need to change the port number that exchange is
using from 389 to something else I think Microsoft suggests 380.
Otherwise the ldap ports from exchange 5.5 and AD will conflict. Once
the ADC is setup and replicated there is no need to worry about
creating empty containers in AD. There are several documents on
Microsofts site, just look under migrating exchange. Sorry I don't
have the direct links. Hope this helps

Quote:> I began years ago with an NT4.0 domain and had Exchange 5.5SP4. I  migrated
> my last NT4 domain controller (the one that hosted Exchange5.5SP4) to a new
> Windows 2000SP3 server yesterday.  I am now in native domain mode. I
> installed Exchange 5.5SP4 using the /R switch and the server is up and
> running, mailboxes are associated with the correct accounts and everyone is
> able to access their email.

> Now I understand I have to run the ADC (is that correct, must I do it?) I
> want to do an inplace upgrade of Exchange (there is only Exchange server in
> the domain).

> If I must do it, I don't fully understand how it replicates information.  My
> Active Directory structure does not match the recipients container structure
> in exchange.  Does that matter?  I installed the ADC and started to set up a
> connection but cancelled it.  Currently all users are under the users
> container in AD.

> Should I setup empty containers in AD to mirror the structure I have in
> recipients containers in exchange?  Move the user accounts in AD to the
> correct containers (to match the recipient structure) and then setup
> connectors for each container?  Should I do one way (which one) or 2 way.

> Any insight into this would be very helpful, I have really tried to find the
> information on exactly what ADC does.  I have searched MS, Swynk, Exchange
> Admin and tried to find info here in this newsgroup.

> So now I'm asking if someone can lend me a hand.  Thanks in advance.

1. Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension lock's admin's out of active dir

We have been running Exhange 2000 on are small business
server and are now faced with a problem thats locking
admins at first via terminal services (The SBS DC is a TS
server for remote admin) from accessing and modifying
active directory users on that DC, from accessing
exchange system manager or viewing the app or sys log's
through event viewer. But now for no apparent reason (yet
to be seen)were unable to access or modify active
directory users, access system manager nativly on the DC
or view the same 2 logs.

When trying to do any of the above theres a error message.
The error reads as:
     - - - -
Access is denied

Facility WIN32
ID No: c0070005
Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension

     - - - -

If anymore info is required plz reply, any helpfull
information regarding would be greatly appreciated.

2. Setting up Exchange 2000 to send emails

3. Active Directory Connector and DL's

4. Deploying Enterprise Office Calender with Exchange 2000.

5. active directory connector won't work

6. Exchange error - Address or Display template for locale 0x809

7. Active Directory Connector and multiple OU's

8. DNS Alias Problem

9. X.400 Connector Vs. Active Directory Connector

10. Active Directory Connector

11. Active Directory Connector from Exchange 5.5 to Win2k

12. Active Directory Connector

13. Active Directory Connector Setup - Permissions ?