IIS Gateway to Exchange 2000 - help

Post by Ty » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 02:19:56

I have an exchange 2000 server that I'm try to setup to receive email from
an iis 5 gateway.  Currently if I point my MX record to the exchange 2000
server I can receive email for my domain.  If I point it to my IIS server
email just disappears.

In IIS I have setup a remote domain with the same name as my domain which is
uberzip.com.  Then in there I select the option to allow email to relay for
this domain and tell it to send it all to [exchange 2k ip address].  Then
for the properties under IIS SMTP service I go to the delivery tab and to
advanced and change the dns name to ms.uberzip.com which is what my mx
record is pointed to.

So thats all I do, i've made sure from the outside that computers try to get
to the iis server when they are given the ms.uberzip.com address.  Now the
problem is that when I send a test message to a user it never arrives to the
inbox.  I also never get back an ndr and I don't really know how to check
IIS to see if it is stuck on there or not.  Any help is appreciated.

Post by MV » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 05:15:24

>I have an exchange 2000 server that I'm try to setup to receive email from
>an iis 5 gateway.  Currently if I point my MX record to the exchange 2000
>server I can receive email for my domain.  If I point it to my IIS server
>email just disappears.

>In IIS I have setup a remote domain with the same name as my domain which is
>uberzip.com.  Then in there I select the option to allow email to relay for
>this domain and tell it to send it all to [exchange 2k ip address].  Then
>for the properties under IIS SMTP service I go to the delivery tab and to
>advanced and change the dns name to ms.uberzip.com which is what my mx
>record is pointed to.

>So thats all I do, i've made sure from the outside that computers try to get
>to the iis server when they are given the ms.uberzip.com address.  Now the
>problem is that when I send a test message to a user it never arrives to the
>inbox.  I also never get back an ndr and I don't really know how to check
>IIS to see if it is stuck on there or not.  Any help is appreciated.

Yes, change the DNS record so that it points to the W2K relay.
Yes configure the IIS SMTP to send all mail to the exchange server as
a smart host but encapsulate the IP address within square brackets.
You don't need to do this bit >

Quote:>  for the properties under IIS SMTP service I go to the delivery tab and to
>advanced and change the dns name to ms.uberzip.com which is what my mx
>record is pointed to.

Do some tests on the server by telnetting to port 25 and manually
generating an smtp message.

IIS Gateway to Exchange 2000 - help

Post by Ty » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 06:40:13

Thanks.  You know I did all that and it was right.  The problem was that I
was being forgetful  and didn't open up my firewall for the smtp gateway.
I had opened up so many smtp ports this last week that I forgot that this
computer hadn't be opened either.  Thanks though!

My first NDR finally came back 30 hours later!

> >I have an exchange 2000 server that I'm try to setup to receive email
from
> >an iis 5 gateway.  Currently if I point my MX record to the exchange 2000
> >server I can receive email for my domain.  If I point it to my IIS server
> >email just disappears.

> >In IIS I have setup a remote domain with the same name as my domain which
is
> >uberzip.com.  Then in there I select the option to allow email to relay
for
> >this domain and tell it to send it all to [exchange 2k ip address].  Then
> >for the properties under IIS SMTP service I go to the delivery tab and to
> >advanced and change the dns name to ms.uberzip.com which is what my mx
> >record is pointed to.

> >So thats all I do, i've made sure from the outside that computers try to
get
> >to the iis server when they are given the ms.uberzip.com address.  Now
the
> >problem is that when I send a test message to a user it never arrives to
the
> >inbox.  I also never get back an ndr and I don't really know how to check
> >IIS to see if it is stuck on there or not.  Any help is appreciated.

> Yes, change the DNS record so that it points to the W2K relay.
> Yes configure the IIS SMTP to send all mail to the exchange server as
> a smart host but encapsulate the IP address within square brackets.
> You don't need to do this bit >

> >  for the properties under IIS SMTP service I go to the delivery tab and
> >advanced and change the dns name to ms.uberzip.com which is what my mx
> >record is pointed to.

> Do some tests on the server by telnetting to port 25 and manually
> generating an smtp message.

> FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm &
> http:http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq.htm

1. Help needed - win 2000 iis virtual smtp routing to Exchange 5.5

We use the SMTP service provided with iis to create mail messages which are
then routed to an exchange server. If we use a the NT iis virtual server and
an NT exchange 5.5 everything routes ok, if we use a 2000 iis virtulka
server and an echange2000 server it also routes ok, but when we try to route
to an exchange 2000 server from an NT iis virtual server the messages are
never delivered. i have looked on teh MSDN and the Microsoft site but can
find no helk there. I am assuming that it can be done, I just cant find out
how!!

Any help will let me keep my hair for a few more years.

Thanks in advance

Greg

2. SMTP Email to Public Folders

3. IIS lockkdown and exchange 2000 HELP.

4. Setup Exchange Client to Use different font to display incoming mail, how?

5. IIS SMTP MAIL GATEWAY

6. Information Store limit / Maximum Size

7. IIS as SMTP Gateway

8. moving exchange server 4.0 from a pdc and upgrading to 5.0 in another language

9. Help needed - win 2000 iis virtual SMTP server routing to exchang 5.5

10. Exchange 2000 Sample Gateway

11. Anyone Reccomend Suitable Fax Gateway for Exchange 2000??