Exchange Forms Slow to Load

Post by Keith Williamso » Fri, 13 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know (and preferably have a cure) why Exchange Custom Forms
are
> so slow to load under NT 3.51 and 4.0 (havn't tried it under Windows 95).

> I wrote a simple phone message form (no fancy stuff, just a few text
> fields), but it takes at least 20 seconds to load on a 90Hz Pentium with
> 24Mb RAM running 3.51 SP3. My own 100Hz Pentium with 24Mb RAM running 4.0
> took a minute, although this is now down to 20-30 secs since I put an
extra
> 8Mb in it and increased the page file size.

> I'd love to use forms more within my company, but at this speed they're
> unusable.

EFD-generated forms are big - about 150K minimum, over 300K for anything at
all complex.  Loading a form for the first time is a 2-stage process -
first it's copied from the Exchange forms library across the network to the
local forms cache (the Windows\Forms directory), then run from there.  All
this takes time, and will be much slower if your network is busy.  Once the
form's been run once, though, it should be much quicker, since it's then
run from memory (if still there) or from the forms cache, and only copied
from the forms library if it's been changed.

I don't have any solution except the usual ones of more memory, and
possibly increasing the forms cache size, which allows more forms to be
cached locally.  Forms written in C/C++ are much smaller and quicker to
load (e.g. the MAPI simple form example).

Keith

1. Exchange Forms Slow to Load

Does anyone know (and preferably have a cure) why Exchange Custom Forms are
so slow to load under NT 3.51 and 4.0 (havn't tried it under Windows 95).

I wrote a simple phone message form (no fancy stuff, just a few text
fields), but it takes at least 20 seconds to load on a 90Hz Pentium with
24Mb RAM running 3.51 SP3. My own 100Hz Pentium with 24Mb RAM running 4.0
took a minute, although this is now down to 20-30 secs since I put an extra
8Mb in it and increased the page file size.

I'd love to use forms more within my company, but at this speed they're
unusable.

2. etrust and background scanning

3. Exchange and Apps Development books

4. Can't load form in Organization form library

5. Fax services for exchange 5.5

6. Why is Exchange client so slow to load under Windows NT4

7. Problem accessing mailboxes from a child domain (e2k)

8. Slow Outlook 97 loading/Exchange Maintenance issue

9. Exchange Client slow to load

10. Exchange client ridiculously slow in loading...

11. Exchange 5.0 Client on WinNT WS VERY Slow loading

12. Why is Exchange is very slow to load