The M: Drive

Post by Colin Colema » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 17:12:59

I have noticed on most of our SBS2000 installations logging in as the
systems Admnistrator we can browse the M:(Exchange Virtual Drive), This is
very usefull especially  when trying to track down emails .

But on one system it report "access denied" Does anyone know why this is ?

Best Regards
Colin

The M: Drive

Post by MSFT » Fri, 07 Mar 2003 21:06:05

Colin

Think of browsing through the  folders on your M:\ drive in the same manner
as being able to login to each and every user mailbox, because it takes the
same level of rights. By default, your should not be able to open up the
individual folders on the M:\ drive as an admin because we do not grant
those rights. On the server you are able to do this, someone has granted the
admin account full access. Most likely from this article

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=262054

I would be very careful with this and who can do it. While access to a
folder representation of your inbox folders can be very useful at times, it
can also become the quickest way of corrupting your DB's. I have seen issues
where a user on a workstation running a real-time AV scanner opens up the
M:\ drive and starts searching through the EML files. Their scanner on the
workstation was touching each one of them and tried to modify a few. The net
result was the company CIO's mailbox was trashed (this admin is currently
out of work for reading the bosses mail) and had to be restored from backup.
Just a word to the wise...

--
Best Regards,

Marc Stanton
Microsoft Online Support Professional

**  Please prefix your subject header with BETA for posts dealing with
Exchange 2003 **

Quote:> I have noticed on most of our SBS2000 installations logging in as the