View Columns - Multiple Forms

Post by John Mianowsk » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Add'l Info:

I have discovered that if I give the same MS Exchange Column Name to fields
from multiple forms, each instance of the name shows up in the Available
Columns list.  Each apparently represents that item from one form.

If I include only 1 instance of each named column, then only the data from
the associated form shows up in the view.  It's _very_ tough to tell them
apart when the names are the same - only the contents gives it away most
times.

I can include multiple instances of identical column names (creating multiple
columns in my view), and they are grouped/sorted as if they were 1 column
(useful, but not quite what I want to do).

I guess the best description of what I really want to do is to set different
column definitions based a document type.  I'm not sure that I can do that at
all in Exchange.

JM

View Columns - Multiple Forms

Post by John Mianowsk » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to create a view that displays multiple form entries, grouped by a
common field, but with certain ones of each document's fields showing in the
columns.  This is similar to the sample contact tracking app., but I want to
be able to see pertinent info. in the view for each group of docs.  I can do
this if I include each individual, unique field from each document in the
view, but this leaves a big blank for those documents that don't include a
particular field.  If I shrink down the size of a column, the data for that
column does not extend into the space defined for the next column, where the
document does not include that field.

Example:

Forms for Customer(Name, Contact, Telephone, etc.),
Issue(Status, Description), and Action(Owner, Due Date, Description).  All
forms have common customer ID & form type (hidden) to facilitate grouping.

The view that I would like to construct would look something like this (if
you are using mono-spaced font):

Customer        Date     Contact        Telephone

Customer 1      3/20     Contact Name   xxx-xxxx
  Status 1      3/20       Issue Description
  Status 2      3/20       Issue Description
   Action 1     3/24         Owner Name     Fix Issue 2
   Action 2     3/25         Owner Name     Verify issue fixed
Customer 2      3/20     Contact Name   xxx-xxxx
  Status 1      3/20       Issue Description

I thought that the Microsoft Exchange Name field property for a given field
could be set to something that was used in another form - for ex., in the
Issue form, the Status field's MS Exch Name could be set to *Customer*,
making this value show up in the view under the Customer column (that's my
interpretation of the Help for FP).  When I do this, I get a blank column for
that document.

If I include Status following Customer in the *Show the following* list of
the folder designer, then the Customer column is followed by blanks for the
Status field that does not appear in that particular document.

I'm new to Exch., but have worked with Lotus Notes in the past (I could do
this easily with Notes, which leads me to want to do the same in Exch.).  I
hope there's a way I can do this.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JM

Post by John Mianowsk » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Add'l Info:
> I guess the best description of what I really want to do is to set different
> column definitions based a document type.  I'm not sure that I can do that at
> all in Exchange.

> JM

Better description, perhaps?:

See Excel:  If you enter text into a cell, beyond the width defined for that
cell, the complete text is displayed (word-wrap off) as long as there is no
non-empty cell to the right of it, within the length of text displayed.

For example, the phrase *The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog* is
typeed into cell A1 (word-wrap off).  The entire phrase is displayed.  If any
text is entered into cell C1, the A1 phrase display gets truncated at the
left-edge of C1, but still is displayed over the empty B1.

I would like to have the previous column's text display over a column in a
view for which the form does not contain the field referenced in the view.

Thanks.

JM