set up multiple Exchange Servers

set up multiple Exchange Servers

Post by Admi » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:37:26



I am looking at setting up a second exchange 5.5 server at
a remote site. Do I just set up a new server with the same
domain name and different computer name and have the ISP
create a second MX Record to point to the new server or
are there options in exchange to have multiple Exchange
Servers with the same domain or host name.
 
 
 

set up multiple Exchange Servers

Post by Al Mulnic » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 02:51:28


Hi Admin!
Hard to understand exactly what you want to accomplish here.  Do you want
the two servers to share a directory?  Or do you want to have both only
internet connected and totally separate?

If you want them to share a directory, you'll want to create a connector and
a directory replication connector.  That'll allow you to share the
directory.  You'll need connectivity as well between them.  If you do that,
then the routing will be automatically calculated and any mail sent to the
current mx record will be routed to the proper mailbox.

If they remain separate, then you'll likely want to create a second MX
record with a different domain so that mail is properly routed to the
correct host.  If you only create a second MX record for the same domain and
don't connect the two, then mail will get to the wrong host and never be
delivered.

Make sense?

Al


Quote:> I am looking at setting up a second exchange 5.5 server at
> a remote site. Do I just set up a new server with the same
> domain name and different computer name and have the ISP
> create a second MX Record to point to the new server or
> are there options in exchange to have multiple Exchange
> Servers with the same domain or host name.


 
 
 

set up multiple Exchange Servers

Post by Admi » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 03:28:24


I guess what I am trying to do is to set up an online
backup exchange server at a remote site, that if our main
server happen to go down for whatever reason I can
redirect my clients to the backup online exchange server
with the least possible down time.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Admin!
>Hard to understand exactly what you want to accomplish
here.  Do you want
>the two servers to share a directory?  Or do you want to
have both only
>internet connected and totally separate?

>If you want them to share a directory, you'll want to

create a connector and
Quote:>a directory replication connector.  That'll allow you to
share the
>directory.  You'll need connectivity as well between

them.  If you do that,
>then the routing will be automatically calculated and any
mail sent to the
>current mx record will be routed to the proper mailbox.

>If they remain separate, then you'll likely want to
create a second MX
>record with a different domain so that mail is properly
routed to the
>correct host.  If you only create a second MX record for
the same domain and
>don't connect the two, then mail will get to the wrong
host and never be
>delivered.

>Make sense?

>Al



>> I am looking at setting up a second exchange 5.5 server
at
>> a remote site. Do I just set up a new server with the
same
>> domain name and different computer name and have the ISP
>> create a second MX Record to point to the new server or
>> are there options in exchange to have multiple Exchange
>> Servers with the same domain or host name.

>.

 
 
 

set up multiple Exchange Servers

Post by exchange » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 03:46:46



> I guess what I am trying to do is to set up an online
> backup exchange server at a remote site

Buy duplicate hardware and use Double-take or similar async replication
products to mirror your data.  They have options for automatic failover.
If your environment is win2k and using DNS to resolve the server name,
there are a lot of ways to make the failover "almost" seamless.  If you
are using WINS, you'll need to get WINS finely tuned to deal with the
new IP address assignement when failover occurs.

Quote:>>>create a second MX Record to point to the new server or

your best bet here is to separate SMTP delivery from the mailbox
environment.  Consider getting two different boxes to run the SMTP
services, place one at each site and create two MX records for your
domain(s) - each with equal priority.
If money is a concern, there are a ton of free SMTP servers out there;
also, qmail in particular is secure and less resource intensive than
most while at the smae time, a very fast smtp mailer.  if your site does
200,000 messages a day, a PII with 128 MB or ram can handle the load at
each site.
Quote:

>>.

 
 
 

1. Generic email set-ups possible?

We're using exchange 5.5 w/ Outlook 97 for our email system.

Using default setups:   when I set up 1 account on a PC, that person
can't get their email on any other PC  AND  no one else can use that PC
to get their email..

I'd like to have ALL outlook info be stored on the exchange server (or
at least not on the local PC) so someone can log-on any PC and get at
their old and new email and other Outlook info.

and conversly...   I'd like to be able to set up the PC so ANYONE on the
change server can log in and get their email.

can anyone provide help on what I need to do/set to make this happen?

David Tinklepaugh
Network Admin.
The Health Association


2. (0x8002801D) Library not registered

3. Apostrophe Blocked!!!

4. block attachments on a user basis

5. Lock ups when deleting multiple messages

6. ADMT and Exchange 5.5

7. Setting up multiple Internet Mailboxes on Exchange Server 2000

8. How to set up multiple domains with 1 Exchange Server

9. Setting up multiple Internet Mailboxes on Exchange Server 2000

10. Exchange Server lock-ups

11. server lock ups - Exchange problem?