NDR 554 Body type not supported by Remote Host

NDR 554 Body type not supported by Remote Host

Post by Roy » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:51:32

I'm getting the following NDR when email is being
automatically forwarded by Exchange 2K to external users;

Action: failed

This only happends with some emails, other go through
just fine, so I think it has something to do with the
email formatting. Any way to get these to go through?

-Roy

NDR 554 Body type not supported by Remote Host

Post by James Webster [MSFT » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 07:54:55

This isn't an Exchange generated error.  Without actually seeing the
original message, my guess is the remote system is running some sort of
message filter that rejects the formating being used.  This can either be
for viral or UCE protection.  I'd suggest contacting the remote users mail
administrator and figure out why the message is being rejected.

--
James Webster
Microsoft Exchange

purposes only.

> I'm getting the following NDR when email is being
> automatically forwarded by Exchange 2K to external users;

> Action: failed

> This only happends with some emails, other go through
> just fine, so I think it has something to do with the
> email formatting. Any way to get these to go through?

> -Roy

NDR 554 Body type not supported by Remote Host

Post by Roy » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 00:57:44

Thanks for that, but it only happends when the email goes
via our Exchange server though, i.e if the same email is
sent directly to the remote user without being relayed it
is accepted at the receiving end. Any ideas why this
might happen?

-Roy

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>This isn't an Exchange generated error.  Without
actually seeing the
>original message, my guess is the remote system is

running some sort of
Quote:>message filter that rejects the formating being used.
This can either be
>for viral or UCE protection.  I'd suggest contacting the
remote users mail
>administrator and figure out why the message is being
rejected.

>--
>James Webster
>Microsoft Exchange
>SMTP Test Engineer

confers no rights.
>Please do not send email directly to this alias. This

alias is for newsgroup
>purposes only.

>> I'm getting the following NDR when email is being
>> automatically forwarded by Exchange 2K to external
users;

>> Action: failed

>> This only happends with some emails, other go through
>> just fine, so I think it has something to do with the
>> email formatting. Any way to get these to go through?

>> -Roy

>.

NDR 554 Body type not supported by Remote Host

Post by Ebony Smit » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:27:43

You can disable 8bitMIME on your Exchange 2000 server.

> Thanks for that, but it only happends when the email goes
> via our Exchange server though, i.e if the same email is
> sent directly to the remote user without being relayed it
> is accepted at the receiving end. Any ideas why this
> might happen?

> -Roy

Post by Dave Mill » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:44:02

The better solution, is possible, is to set your clients that are sending
the e-mails to not use 8BITMIME.  This way Exchange can still receive
e-mails from other companies that are in 8BITMIME format.

- Dave

> You can disable 8bitMIME on your Exchange 2000 server.

> > Thanks for that, but it only happends when the email goes
> > via our Exchange server though, i.e if the same email is
> > sent directly to the remote user without being relayed it
> > is accepted at the receiving end. Any ideas why this
> > might happen?

> > -Roy

Post by Roy » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:10:13

Thanks for this Dave. Does that mean that Exchange can
not handle 8bitMIME?? I thought this was resolved a long
time ago. It is very impractical to impose email-formats
on people sending you email, since you do not know who
might want to send you stuff beforehand. Having failed to
get through they usually just drop the whole thing. Are
there really no fixes for this thing?

-Roy

Post by Dave Mill » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 02:29:56

Exchange 2000 *does* support 8BITMIME; what it doesn't support is
down-converting to 7BITMIME from 8BITMIME.   And since Exchange 5.5 doesn't
support 8BITMIME, if a user sends a message using 8BITMIME then all Exchange
2000 users will be able to read it, but if the message is destined for a
system that doesn't support 8BITMIME then Exchange 2000 will bounce the
message with the error you saw, which the RFC states as an allowed behavior.
There are a couple options for a fix:

- Use seperate servers to handle incoming mail from the Internet and for
users to send mail through.  Disable 8BITMIME on the servers that users send
mail through.  The main downside to this is that you have to have a seperate
server for the users to send mail through.

- Setup a sendmail machine to do the down-conversion.

There may be other options, but those are the two I can think of off the top
of my head.

- Dave

> Thanks for this Dave. Does that mean that Exchange can
> not handle 8bitMIME?? I thought this was resolved a long
> time ago. It is very impractical to impose email-formats
> on people sending you email, since you do not know who
> might want to send you stuff beforehand. Having failed to
> get through they usually just drop the whole thing. Are
> there really no fixes for this thing?

> -Roy

1. NDR - smtp;554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote Host

Hi everybody,

we are working with an Exchange 5.5 Server and a DMZ with an W2K SMTP
Relayserver.
No we have the problem that some Domains are not able to send us Mail and
getting the above NDR.Ive read in this Newsgroup that it could be a problem
of 8 Bit MIME support, but we checked it out.

any idea ???

regards...michael

2. Tracking an email

3. Error 554 5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote Host

4. How many connectors do I need?

5. "Unable to deliver - Host does not support TLS" when sending mail via IMS

6. OWA With FE

7. SMTP: 554 - Body Type Not Supported

8. 554 error, Body type not supported

9. body type not supported by remote host

10. 5.6.1 Body type not supported by Remote Host

11. Body type not supported by remote host