Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure

Post by ch.. » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

We are running Exchange Server 5.5 sp3.  We have a strange problem in
which we cannot send e-mail to a few specific domains such as
mindspring.com & equifax.com.  Has anyone ever heard of this?  Can we
assume this is an Exchange problem?

The e-mail gets bounced back with the following message:

      Subject:  test
      Sent:     8/1/00 2:46 PM

            Unable to deliver the message due to a communications
failure
        The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=frogfire
DIGITAL;l=IDEAFIRE-000801184604Z-288
            MSEXCH:IMS:frogfire DIGITAL:FIRE:IDEAFIRE 3550 (000B099C)
550 telephone number listed in your documentation.

Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure

Post by John Ramse » Sat, 05 Aug 2000 04:00:00

If it is only a couple domains that are affected, I would check your TCP/IP
configuration and environment.
Does DNS resolve the domain names correctly?
Can you PING their server?
Are you behind a firewall or proxy? If so are you using private or public
addressing? (I've seen networks use public addressing on private networks
thus making the 'real' public address unreachable)
Is their any filtering on your firewall or proxy?
Is Exchange set to use DNS or to forward all mail to different SMTP server?
Do you have SMTP configured on another machine on the same network that you
can test?

> We are running Exchange Server 5.5 sp3.  We have a strange problem in
> which we cannot send e-mail to a few specific domains such as
> mindspring.com & equifax.com.  Has anyone ever heard of this?  Can we
> assume this is an Exchange problem?

> The e-mail gets bounced back with the following message:

1. IMC error 503, Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure

Hi everyone,

Since two weeks I'ver started to get strange IMC-errors (or should I say
smtp-errors).

When internal clients try to send mail, they sometimes (let's say 1 out of
10) get this error message:

Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure
 The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=LPI
Limited;l=VENUS-990610112046Z-2882
            MSEXCH:IMS:LPI Limited:LPI HQ:VENUS 3503 (000B099C) 503 Bad
Sequence of commands.

Or another message will say "Polite people say helo first"...

This relates to some kind of protocol error while retrieving and delivering
mail.

Can somebody plz help me with this.. I absolutely need a 100percent working
exchange server.. (at least a 95percent wworking :-)

Thanks anyway...

2. 098ldap.exe not working !!

3. Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure

4. Why would I want to use an email server?

5. Please Help! Reply to: Address in Exchange

6. Moving Win2k exchange server from a single processor machine to a dual