Connector for POP3 mailboxes problems

Post by Gaetano Di Gregori » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 20:38:24

Hi,

I've a POP3 connector problem on a SBS 2000 server which is configured for
everything (exchange, isa, directory controller, ...). Windows 2000 SP2 +
Exchange 2000 SP2 + ISA SP1 + all security patches are installed on this
server.

Everything was OK. Now, suddendly, Connector for POP3 is not working
anymore. Indeed, I've 3 exchange user mailboxes configured for POP3. But
mails for these users remains at the POP3 server side (our ISP mail server).
I've tried to do manual retrieving via the pop3 connector properties dialog
box of the exchange console, but mails remains at the POP3 server. I've set
also the logging level to "maximum" in the diagnostic tab (for all services)
to see if something wrong is logged. In the mean time, I would like to know
if somebody already got this problem and found a solution to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

Connector for POP3 mailboxes problems

Post by jimbehn.. » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 21:25:49

You should be getting errors in your apllication log. If you get 10065
here is a post from Walter that helped me at one site.

I called Microsoft today and got a successful resolution to the POP3
email/10065 error. (Every SBS2000 installation is entitled to two FREE
tech support calls. This refers to each licensed copy of SBS, that is,
of course!) For the phone number, go to the SBS2000 web pages at the
microsoft web site.

Scenario:
SBS2000, Dialup connection to Internet, POP3 connector. Email comes in
successfully with Outlook Express on the server. POP3 connector
returns 10065 error. ICW has been run. IE browses out to the Internet
ok.

Resolution:
Open the ISA Manager.
Go to Servers & Arrays, Servername (whatever it is), Access Policy, IP
Packet Filters.
Create a new Custom Filter. Call it "POP3".
This custom filter has the following parameters:
IP Protocol: TCP
Protocol Number: 6
Direction: Outbound
Local Port: All Ports
Remote Port: Fixed Port
Remote Port Number: 110
Local Computer: This Filter Applies to: Default IP Addresses on the
external IP Interfaces
Remote Computer: This Filter Applies to: All remote computers

SBS ICW is supposed to set all this up, but it apparently doesn't.

Once I did this, all worked like a charm.

Walter Muma

and

Try this:
right click pop3 connector in administrator console and setup a mail

select the administrator as recipient.  All unresolved mail should go
to the Administrator account mail box.
With outlook you should see the mails sent to this account. You can
then examine the to fields to troubleshoot the reason for not sending
them to the correct clients.

Quote:>Hi,

>I've a POP3 connector problem on a SBS 2000 server which is configured for
>everything (exchange, isa, directory controller, ...). Windows 2000 SP2 +
>Exchange 2000 SP2 + ISA SP1 + all security patches are installed on this
>server.

>Everything was OK. Now, suddendly, Connector for POP3 is not working
>anymore. Indeed, I've 3 exchange user mailboxes configured for POP3. But
>mails for these users remains at the POP3 server side (our ISP mail server).
>I've tried to do manual retrieving via the pop3 connector properties dialog
>box of the exchange console, but mails remains at the POP3 server. I've set
>also the logging level to "maximum" in the diagnostic tab (for all services)
>to see if something wrong is logged. In the mean time, I would like to know
>if somebody already got this problem and found a solution to fix it.

>Thanks in advance.

Jim B.

Connector for POP3 mailboxes problems

Post by Grey Lancaster [MS MVP SBS » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 21:30:18

without the logs it is hard to say.  Off the top of my head I would say port
110 got closed.  Can you telnet from the server to the mail host port 110?
start>run>telnet mail.charter.net 110

I believe I would rerun the inet wiz and make sure that pop3 is selected

--

Grey
MVP SBS

Quote:> Hi,

> I've a POP3 connector problem on a SBS 2000 server which is configured for
> everything (exchange, isa, directory controller, ...). Windows 2000 SP2 +
> Exchange 2000 SP2 + ISA SP1 + all security patches are installed on this
> server.

> Everything was OK. Now, suddendly, Connector for POP3 is not working
> anymore. Indeed, I've 3 exchange user mailboxes configured for POP3. But
> mails for these users remains at the POP3 server side (our ISP mail
server).
> I've tried to do manual retrieving via the pop3 connector properties
dialog
> box of the exchange console, but mails remains at the POP3 server. I've
set
> also the logging level to "maximum" in the diagnostic tab (for all
services)
> to see if something wrong is logged. In the mean time, I would like to
know
> if somebody already got this problem and found a solution to fix it.

> Thanks in advance.

Connector for POP3 mailboxes problems

Post by Gaetano Di Gregori » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 21:49:43

I've perhaps found the problem but wanted to have your advises (I'm a newbie
in Exchange admin).
I've noticed that on my server, the "Simple Mail Transport Protocol (SMTP)"
service was stopped and that the startup type was set to manual. It seems
that starting this service fix the problem (I still need to confirm the
problem is solved as I'm doing remote administration through terminal
services and I don't have a real-time view on this sbs network).

My questions are :

- Do I need to run the smtp services in order to make POP3 connector working
? (I was thinking Exchange was replacing this service)
- How is it possible that this service startup type was set on manual. I
never done this. Is there a well know issue on this point ?

Anyway, thanks for you replies, I will try your suggestions if the problem
is still not fixed.

Cheers

Quote:> Hi,

> I've a POP3 connector problem on a SBS 2000 server which is configured for
> everything (exchange, isa, directory controller, ...). Windows 2000 SP2 +
> Exchange 2000 SP2 + ISA SP1 + all security patches are installed on this
> server.

> Everything was OK. Now, suddendly, Connector for POP3 is not working
> anymore. Indeed, I've 3 exchange user mailboxes configured for POP3. But
> mails for these users remains at the POP3 server side (our ISP mail
server).
> I've tried to do manual retrieving via the pop3 connector properties
dialog
> box of the exchange console, but mails remains at the POP3 server. I've
set
> also the logging level to "maximum" in the diagnostic tab (for all
services)
> to see if something wrong is logged. In the mean time, I would like to
know
> if somebody already got this problem and found a solution to fix it.

> Thanks in advance.

Connector for POP3 mailboxes problems

Post by Grey Lancaster [MS MVP SBS » Fri, 12 Apr 2002 22:45:40

Well if you are there remotely, someone is there locally :)

I am not familiar with manual being a known issue

--

Grey
MVP SBS

> I've perhaps found the problem but wanted to have your advises (I'm a
newbie
> in Exchange admin).
> I've noticed that on my server, the "Simple Mail Transport Protocol
(SMTP)"
> service was stopped and that the startup type was set to manual. It seems
> that starting this service fix the problem (I still need to confirm the
> problem is solved as I'm doing remote administration through terminal
> services and I don't have a real-time view on this sbs network).

> My questions are :

> - Do I need to run the smtp services in order to make POP3 connector
working
> ? (I was thinking Exchange was replacing this service)
> - How is it possible that this service startup type was set on manual. I
> never done this. Is there a well know issue on this point ?

> Anyway, thanks for you replies, I will try your suggestions if the problem
> is still not fixed.

> Cheers

> > Hi,

> > I've a POP3 connector problem on a SBS 2000 server which is configured
for
> > everything (exchange, isa, directory controller, ...). Windows 2000 SP2
+
> > Exchange 2000 SP2 + ISA SP1 + all security patches are installed on this
> > server.

> > Everything was OK. Now, suddendly, Connector for POP3 is not working
> > anymore. Indeed, I've 3 exchange user mailboxes configured for POP3. But
> > mails for these users remains at the POP3 server side (our ISP mail
> server).
> > I've tried to do manual retrieving via the pop3 connector properties
> dialog
> > box of the exchange console, but mails remains at the POP3 server. I've
> set
> > also the logging level to "maximum" in the diagnostic tab (for all
> services)
> > to see if something wrong is logged. In the mean time, I would like to
> know
> > if somebody already got this problem and found a solution to fix it.

> > Thanks in advance.

Connector for POP3 mailboxes problems

Post by Gaetano Di Gregori » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 00:34:27

And about the other question (having the smtp service running to make pop3
connector working) ?

Thanks.

> Well if you are there remotely, someone is there locally :)

> I am not familiar with manual being a known issue

> --

> Grey
> MVP SBS

> > I've perhaps found the problem but wanted to have your advises (I'm a
> newbie
> > in Exchange admin).
> > I've noticed that on my server, the "Simple Mail Transport Protocol
> (SMTP)"
> > service was stopped and that the startup type was set to manual. It
seems
> > that starting this service fix the problem (I still need to confirm the
> > problem is solved as I'm doing remote administration through terminal
> > services and I don't have a real-time view on this sbs network).

> > My questions are :

> > - Do I need to run the smtp services in order to make POP3 connector
> working
> > ? (I was thinking Exchange was replacing this service)
> > - How is it possible that this service startup type was set on manual. I
> > never done this. Is there a well know issue on this point ?

> > Anyway, thanks for you replies, I will try your suggestions if the
problem
> > is still not fixed.

> > Cheers

> > > Hi,

> > > I've a POP3 connector problem on a SBS 2000 server which is configured
> for
> > > everything (exchange, isa, directory controller, ...). Windows 2000
SP2
> +
> > > Exchange 2000 SP2 + ISA SP1 + all security patches are installed on
this
> > > server.

> > > Everything was OK. Now, suddendly, Connector for POP3 is not working
> > > anymore. Indeed, I've 3 exchange user mailboxes configured for POP3.
But
> > > mails for these users remains at the POP3 server side (our ISP mail
> > server).
> > > I've tried to do manual retrieving via the pop3 connector properties
> > dialog
> > > box of the exchange console, but mails remains at the POP3 server.
I've
> > set
> > > also the logging level to "maximum" in the diagnostic tab (for all
> > services)
> > > to see if something wrong is logged. In the mean time, I would like to
> > know
> > > if somebody already got this problem and found a solution to fix it.

> > > Thanks in advance.

Connector for POP3 mailboxes problems

Post by Jame » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 00:48:21

Quote:> And about the other question (having the smtp service running to make pop3
> connector working) ?

The POP3 connection downloads messages and feeds them to the SMTP service to
do the actual delivery (check the headers on downloaded messages and I'm
sure you'll see a timestamp and comment from the local SMTP service).  So,
yes, it has to be running.

I think Exchange uses the Windows 2000 SMTP service, but might add some
bells and whistles to it...

James

Connector for POP3 mailboxes problems

Post by Gaetano Di Gregori » Sat, 13 Apr 2002 01:45:45

James,

Thanks for this confirmation.

> > And about the other question (having the smtp service running to make
pop3
> > connector working) ?

> The POP3 connection downloads messages and feeds them to the SMTP service
> do the actual delivery (check the headers on downloaded messages and I'm
> sure you'll see a timestamp and comment from the local SMTP service).  So,
> yes, it has to be running.

> I think Exchange uses the Windows 2000 SMTP service, but might add some
> bells and whistles to it...

> James

1. Connector for POP3 Mailboxes problems

Up until the last week or so, my office has been using the connector for
POP3 mailboxes to download from a global email address and disseminate
email, with very few problems.
I cannot say exactly when problems started, or what might have happened
around the same time to cause it, because i am not in the office all the
time, but i DO know that its broken now.
All the settings are correct, and verified.
There are no error messages in the Event Viewer.
But it doesn't download any emails.
Using a computer to connect directly to the POP server works just fine.
I reinstalled the connector, but i still have the same problems.
I'm running SBS 4.5 (NT 4, SP6a), Exchange 5.5 SP4
Any ideas???
Thanks in advance,

Tim Mulholland

2. How to use outlook for both Mailbox(MS) mails and internet e-mails?

3. Connector for POP3 mailboxes problems

4. Re-direction of Exchange Mailbox

5. Problems re fax

6. Exchange connector for POP3 mailboxes problem

7. Test

8. Related Problem with SMTP and POP3 Connector Problem

9. Connector for POP3 mailboxes with Hostway.com

10. Microsoft Connector for POP3 Mailboxes

11. System Mailbox and SBS 2000 POP3 Connector

12. POP3 connector will not accept more mailboxes!!!!