SMTP & DNS, NOT THE GOOD SMTP SERVER

Post by yo » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 02:14:07

Hi,
I have a Exchange 2000 server (SP3).
When i write a email to a domain, i have, after a while, an email back that
said that the email can't be deliver. But i see that the mx server that
exchange take is not the mx server that the dns give.
I make "nslookup -q=mx thedomain.com"
that give me a server name.
And in the SMTP logs, i see that exchange try to send the email to another
server name.
Why this ?
Thanks for helping me.

For help : the back email  said that (sorry for my english) :
the email has been rejected because of administration policy by the
destination server.
For notes : i try to send an email to this domain by an another domain and
it works..

Post by Enkid » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 07:33:18

>Hi,
>I have a Exchange 2000 server (SP3).
>When i write a email to a domain, i have, after a while, an email back that
>said that the email can't be deliver. But i see that the mx server that
>exchange take is not the mx server that the dns give.
>I make "nslookup -q=mx thedomain.com"
>that give me a server name.
>And in the SMTP logs, i see that exchange try to send the email to another
>server name.
>Why this ?
>Thanks for helping me.

The MX record points to a Domain Name, say "mail.somedomain.com". That
name resolves to an IP address say 111.111.111.111. A reverse lockup
on the IP address gives "host.otherdomain.com". That is one way that
the name can be different.

Quote:>For help : the back email  said that (sorry for my english) :
>the email has been rejected because of administration policy by the
>destination server.
>For notes : i try to send an email to this domain by an another domain and
>it works..

The destination Domain has polices which affect your Domain Name eg
they might require reverse lookup, and you may not have that set up.
You need to ask them what their policies are.

Cheers,

Cliff
--

The Nats held a Party and no one came.

1. SMTP & DNS, NOT THE GOOD SMTP SERVER

Hi,
I have a Exchange 2000 server (SP3).
When i write a email to a domain, i have, after a while, an email back that
said that the email can't be deliver. But i see that the mx server that
exchange take is not the mx server that the dns give.
I make "nslookup -q=mx thedomain.com"
that give me a server name.
And in the SMTP logs, i see that exchange try to send the email to another
server name.
Why this ?
Thanks for helping me.

For help : the back email  said that (sorry for my english) :
the email has been rejected because of administration policy by the
destination server.
For notes : i try to send an email to this domain by an another domain and
it works..

2. How to create a new mailbox by program/VBs

3. SMTP Connector with SMTP Virtual Server with different SMTP port does not work

4. Is it possible to distribute Public folders ?

5. newbie: Changing Site Service Account

6. DNS server is rejecting DNS queries sent using TCP by SMTP service

7. Host unreachable? Not!

8. SMTP Virtual Server & SMTP Connector

9. SMTP & DNS

10. DNS question & SMTP connector