Exchange 2000 availability at a Disaster Recovery Site

Exchange 2000 availability at a Disaster Recovery Site

Post by Fred Griec » Sat, 17 May 2003 23:38:58

I currently have a single Exchange 2000 server with about 200 users and
40Gb of space.  My company is setting up a disaster recovery site with
an Exchange 2000 server.  The goal is that in the event of a disaster,
we would like exchange running and available to users at the other site
as quickly as possible.  I am not that concerned about the age of the
data there.  Also, I have been given a T1 for the data connection
between sites.

What is the Microsoft way of doing a dual-site high avaialblity and
replication solution?  What are most people doing in my case?

Thanks in advance,

Fred

Exchange 2000 availability at a Disaster Recovery Site

Post by Atul Saini [MSFT » Sun, 18 May 2003 05:29:12

Exchange 2000 does not have a dual-site high availability solution. You can
have an Exchange cluster high availability but it is limited by the cable
sizes for shared disks.
As long as you have good backups available and a hardware to build the
server you can recover exchange in matter of hours depending on your restore
speed.
Here are some references

Disaster Recovery for Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/pr...
ol/exchange/exchange2000/proddocs/onlinebooks/disrec/default.asp
XADM: How to Move Exchange 2000 to New Hardware and Keep the Same Server
Name
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297289
Support WebCast: Microsoft Exchange 2000 Alternate Server Data Recovery
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811063&gssnb=1
--
Atul Saini
Enterprise Messaging Support

Please do not send email directly to this alias.  This is alias is for
newsgroup purposes only.

> I currently have a single Exchange 2000 server with about 200 users and
> 40Gb of space.  My company is setting up a disaster recovery site with
> an Exchange 2000 server.  The goal is that in the event of a disaster,
> we would like exchange running and available to users at the other site
> as quickly as possible.  I am not that concerned about the age of the
> data there.  Also, I have been given a T1 for the data connection
> between sites.

> What is the Microsoft way of doing a dual-site high avaialblity and
> replication solution?  What are most people doing in my case?

> Thanks in advance,

> Fred

Exchange 2000 availability at a Disaster Recovery Site

Post by Fred Griec » Thu, 22 May 2003 03:17:16

Well, I have a 2 hour requirement to have the server back up, and there is just
no way I could even get tapes to the DR site in two hours.  Now I know of at
least two solutions to this:  Geocluster, which is a replication and failover
solution from NSI software that sits on top of MSCS, and Veritas Global Cluster
Manager, which works with their Cluster Server and Volume Replicator products.
In both cases, there are not a lot of people using the products.

What I really want to know is what other people are doing when faced with this
type of problem.  (Or is Exchange just not ready for the big time?)

Fred

> Exchange 2000 does not have a dual-site high availability solution. You can
> have an Exchange cluster high availability but it is limited by the cable
> sizes for shared disks.
> As long as you have good backups available and a hardware to build the
> server you can recover exchange in matter of hours depending on your restore
> speed.
> Here are some references

> Disaster Recovery for Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/pr...
> ol/exchange/exchange2000/proddocs/onlinebooks/disrec/default.asp
> XADM: How to Move Exchange 2000 to New Hardware and Keep the Same Server
> Name
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297289
> Support WebCast: Microsoft Exchange 2000 Alternate Server Data Recovery
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811063&gssnb=1
> --
> Atul Saini
> Enterprise Messaging Support

> Please do not send email directly to this alias.  This is alias is for
> newsgroup purposes only.

> > I currently have a single Exchange 2000 server with about 200 users and
> > 40Gb of space.  My company is setting up a disaster recovery site with
> > an Exchange 2000 server.  The goal is that in the event of a disaster,
> > we would like exchange running and available to users at the other site
> > as quickly as possible.  I am not that concerned about the age of the
> > data there.  Also, I have been given a T1 for the data connection
> > between sites.

> > What is the Microsoft way of doing a dual-site high avaialblity and
> > replication solution?  What are most people doing in my case?

> > Thanks in advance,

> > Fred

Exchange 2000 availability at a Disaster Recovery Site

Post by ms » Thu, 22 May 2003 10:49:03

How about stretched cluster wit one node at current site and another at DR
site?

> I currently have a single Exchange 2000 server with about 200 users and
> 40Gb of space.  My company is setting up a disaster recovery site with
> an Exchange 2000 server.  The goal is that in the event of a disaster,
> we would like exchange running and available to users at the other site
> as quickly as possible.  I am not that concerned about the age of the
> data there.  Also, I have been given a T1 for the data connection
> between sites.

> What is the Microsoft way of doing a dual-site high avaialblity and
> replication solution?  What are most people doing in my case?

> Thanks in advance,

> Fred

Exchange 2000 availability at a Disaster Recovery Site

Post by SPC » Sat, 07 Jun 2003 06:19:53

I am currently confronted with the same problem in a very
similiar environment.  Currently we are using NSI
doubletake to replicate the data out there.  Our failover
procedure consists of renaming the excahnge server and
starting the services.  This will get you up in about 15
minutes.

The problem with this is that we have to do quarterly
testing and I am not comfortable renaming our exchange
server every 3 months.

geocluster actually provides 2 solutions.  One is the
stretched cluster you mentioned before.  This isn't going
to work over a single T, the public network gets 'chatty'
and NSI only recommends stretching the cluster over fiber
to a disrec site.  We have 6 bundled Ts with 10 ms
latency and are considering stretching it anyway.
Downside is you have to trunk yer vlans out there for the
private network.

The other geocluster solution is where you use
geocluster+ product and create 2 standalone clusters
(their product lets you get excahnge in cluster mode, but
with only one node).  Youc an do this at yer current site
and your disrec site.  The cluster at the hotsite has the
same virtual name and sits in offline mode.  To failover
you put the primary standalone cluster in offline mode
and bring the other one online, then you force a dns
update for that virual server name.  This solution is
probably what you want to do.  I think licensing for
advanced server is liek 8 grand a server.

If you have a SAN at both sites you could image yer
replicate all the the system partition along witht heh
log and data disks and then just turn the other machine
on out there if there was a failure.  I don't know of
anyone who does this, but thats the way i would do it if
I had a SAN with hardware replication

Exchange 2000 availability at a Disaster Recovery Site

Post by Michae » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 03:01:29

You may want to check into LiveVault.  www.livevault.com

Although they have an off-site service, I think you can do your own.

HTH

> Well, I have a 2 hour requirement to have the server back up, and there is
just
> no way I could even get tapes to the DR site in two hours.  Now I know of
at
> least two solutions to this:  Geocluster, which is a replication and
failover
> solution from NSI software that sits on top of MSCS, and Veritas Global
Cluster
> Manager, which works with their Cluster Server and Volume Replicator
products.
> In both cases, there are not a lot of people using the products.

> What I really want to know is what other people are doing when faced with
this
> type of problem.  (Or is Exchange just not ready for the big time?)

> Fred

> > Exchange 2000 does not have a dual-site high availability solution. You
can
> > have an Exchange cluster high availability but it is limited by the
cable
> > sizes for shared disks.
> > As long as you have good backups available and a hardware to build the
> > server you can recover exchange in matter of hours depending on your
restore
> > speed.
> > Here are some references

> > Disaster Recovery for Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/pr...

> > ol/exchange/exchange2000/proddocs/onlinebooks/disrec/default.asp
> > XADM: How to Move Exchange 2000 to New Hardware and Keep the Same Server
> > Name
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297289
> > Support WebCast: Microsoft Exchange 2000 Alternate Server Data Recovery
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811063&gssnb=1
> > --
> > Atul Saini
> > Enterprise Messaging Support