NDR 5.7.1 HELO argument query

Post by Alan Colema » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 19:23:17

When sending to a specific domain we get an NDR stating
For assistance, contact your system administrator.
            <mail #5.7.1 smtp;554 5.7.1 Your HELO
argument, mail, is not a fully-qualified hostname or IP
address.  Please contact your system administrator and ask
them to configure your mail server to issue a HELO command
with a valid argument.>"

Our SMTP connector is currently set up to broadcast EHLO
to outbound servers ( with no problems ). If I switched
our virtual server to broadcast the HELO command instead:-
a) Would I able to send successful messages to the domain
I'm having problems with?
b) How would it affect all other outgoing mail?

In a nutshell what's best to use   HELO or EHLO???

NDR 5.7.1 HELO argument query

Post by Ebony Smit » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 20:45:49

The 5.7.1 indicates that your mail was refused  probably due to lack of
permissions to relay or even send mail.

The HELO or EHLO text in the NDR looks bogus.

Quote:> When sending to a specific domain we get an NDR stating
> For assistance, contact your system administrator.
>             <mail #5.7.1 smtp;554 5.7.1 Your HELO
> argument, mail, is not a fully-qualified hostname or IP
> address.  Please contact your system administrator and ask
> them to configure your mail server to issue a HELO command
> with a valid argument.>"

> Our SMTP connector is currently set up to broadcast EHLO
> to outbound servers ( with no problems ). If I switched
> our virtual server to broadcast the HELO command instead:-
> a) Would I able to send successful messages to the domain
> I'm having problems with?
> b) How would it affect all other outgoing mail?

> In a nutshell what's best to use   HELO or EHLO???

NDR 5.7.1 HELO argument query

Post by Alan Colema » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:07:45

How come I can send messages to any domain other than this
one?

message

>> When sending to a specific domain we get an NDR stating
>> For assistance, contact your system administrator.
>>             <mail #5.7.1 smtp;554 5.7.1 Your HELO
>> argument, mail, is not a fully-qualified hostname or IP
>> address.  Please contact your system administrator and
ask
>> them to configure your mail server to issue a HELO
command
>> with a valid argument.>"

>> Our SMTP connector is currently set up to broadcast EHLO
>> to outbound servers ( with no problems ). If I switched
>> our virtual server to broadcast the HELO command
instead:-
>> a) Would I able to send successful messages to the
domain
>> I'm having problems with?
>> b) How would it affect all other outgoing mail?

>> In a nutshell what's best to use   HELO or EHLO???

>.

NDR 5.7.1 HELO argument query

Post by Ebony Smit » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:21:41

If HELO is the case, you can switch the connector to use HELO also if the
domain does not understand EHLO.