Custom Forms - User defined fields

Post by Greg Pocia » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 05:26:07

When creating a custom "Contacts" form and using custom
fields, for marketing information, can you see the data
entered using MS Access?  You can easily report and query
the data entered into the standard form.  I would like to
have additional marketing info added to the standard form
and then query and report on it through MS Access.

What is the best procedure to do this?  I am using MS
Exchange 5.5 - Outlook 2000 and MS Access 2000.

Custom Forms - User defined fields

Post by PatriciaC - [MVP - Outlook » Fri, 14 Sep 2001 05:36:11

You can use VBA in Access to access the Outlook object model.  From there
you can get to the folder the custom items are stored in, then get the items
collection and iterate through the items.  Using that method, you can use
the UserProperties collection of the Item object to get to the custom fields
on each of those items.  Let me know if you need some sample code.

--
Patricia Cardoza
Outlook MVP

~Please post all replies to the newsgroup~

Quote:> When creating a custom "Contacts" form and using custom
> fields, for marketing information, can you see the data
> entered using MS Access?  You can easily report and query
> the data entered into the standard form.  I would like to
> have additional marketing info added to the standard form
> and then query and report on it through MS Access.

> What is the best procedure to do this?  I am using MS
> Exchange 5.5 - Outlook 2000 and MS Access 2000.

Custom Forms - User defined fields

Post by Greg Pocia » Sat, 15 Sep 2001 00:25:39

Thank you for your response!!  I would like some code
samples and have sent you an e-mail message with the same
request.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>You can use VBA in Access to access the Outlook object
model.  From there
>you can get to the folder the custom items are stored in,
then get the items
>collection and iterate through the items.  Using that
method, you can use
>the UserProperties collection of the Item object to get

to the custom fields
>on each of those items.  Let me know if you need some
sample code.

>--
>Patricia Cardoza
>Outlook MVP

>~Please post all replies to the newsgroup~

>> When creating a custom "Contacts" form and using custom
>> fields, for marketing information, can you see the data
>> entered using MS Access?  You can easily report and
query
>> the data entered into the standard form.  I would like
>> have additional marketing info added to the standard
form
>> and then query and report on it through MS Access.

>> What is the best procedure to do this?  I am using MS
>> Exchange 5.5 - Outlook 2000 and MS Access 2000.

>.

Custom Forms - User defined fields

Post by PatriciaC - [MVP - Outlook » Sun, 16 Sep 2001 02:16:35

Set olApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

Set olns = olApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")

Set fld = olns.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderContacts)

Set itms = fld.Items

For each itm in itms

          If itm.MessageClass = "IPM.Contact.MyForm" then

                   tmpVar1 = itm.UserProperties.Find("customfield").Value

                   tmpVar2 = itm.UserProperties.Find("customfield2").Value

          End If

Next

That's just some basic sample code.  You would need to set a reference to
the Outlook object library within the VBA module in Access.

--
Patricia Cardoza
Outlook MVP

~Please post all replies to the newsgroup~

> Thank you for your response!!  I would like some code
> samples and have sent you an e-mail message with the same
> request.

1. Importing default form fields into custom form fields?

Can this be done? We have a contact database of hundreds of contacts in a
public folder on exchange 2000. I had developed a custom form to help our
needs but now we're left with no "easy" way of getting all the old info
into the new form. Many of the fields (name, address, email, phone number,
etc) were left untouched. I was hoping to get that info into the new form
and input from there as needed.

Any ideas?

-=SW=-

2. OWA

3. custom fields appear in different form fields for different public folders

4. OWA cannot see mail items

5. Exc55: X.400 Connector, effects of country code: country/region (c)

6. Changing User-defined Fields

7. Log files not being purged during backup

8. cdo and user defined fields??

9. CDO - inserting data into user-defined Contact fields

10. Modifing Outlok User-Defined fields within a CDO

11. Exporting Data from User-Defined Fields

12. User Defined Fields and Outlook