Exchange OWA and SSL

Post by Marlin Tod » Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:22:14

Hello,

I have gotten a SSL Certificate for our default web site so our employees
can use Exchange OWA 2000 securely. Here is the problem I'm having... I set
it up in IIS to require SSL-128bit for OWA (/exchange) and that works but
when our employees go to https://myserver/exchange it asks for there
username and password and they enter it correctly and it asks about 11 more
times and if you click on OK after entering the info in it still comes back.
Finally when the authentication box goes away OWA is garbled and doesn't
work (looks nothing like it should be) for our employees. BUT heres the
thing the members of the Administrators group DO NOT have this problem. We
are behind a ISA Firewall...and have installed all Service Packs for
Win2000, Exchange and ISA. I am stumped on what the problem could be. I have
changed the authentication methods in IIS and have the same problem. Is this
a Win2000 IIS problem, Exchange OWA Problem, or ISA Server problem?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Marlin A. Todd

Exchange OWA and SSL

Post by Ed McKinzi » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 06:42:17

Todd,

Within IIS Admin make sure you have the follow attributes:
1.) Your Default website within IIS Admin-->Directory
Security should have Anonymous access and Basic
Authentication checked.
2.) On the local machine, make sure under USERS you have
DOMAIN\Domain Users, NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users,
and NT AUthority\Interactive added to the Users group.
(By default the are.)This is going to be different if you
are running NT 4.0.
3.) Make sure that the C:\inetpub\wwwroot has the
Everyone group with Read and Execute, List, and Read
Permissions through Windows Explorer.

With Exchange 2000 Outlook Web Access, your frontend OWA
servers should have all Public Folders removed\Dismounted
from their storage groups and the Exchange Store
dismounted.  With a OWA frontend server there is a known
issue with memory leaks that Microsoft has been working
for a fix with me. I had recently enabled SSL (Hard coded
it to point to a HTTPS connection and installed the
CERTS) which increased the amount of CPU and Memory
load.  I would recommend looking at the above and move
forward from there.

Ed M.

Exchange OWA and SSL

Post by Siegfried Weber [MVP » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 07:48:24

> With Exchange 2000 Outlook Web Access, your frontend OWA
> servers should have all Public Folders removed\Dismounted
> from their storage groups and the Exchange Store
> dismounted.

Quick note here: if the OWA frontend server also serves as SMTP server you
must leave the mailbox store mounted.

--
<Cheers:Siegfried runat="server" />

Development Lead,

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP) - Exchange Server

CDOLive LLC - The Microsoft Messaging and Collaboration Application Experts
http://www.cdolive.com

Please reply to the newsgroups so that others can benefit from the
discussion.
Questions by e-mail are discarded without further notice.

Exchange OWA and SSL

Post by Marlin Tod » Mon, 05 Aug 2002 03:14:21

after reading a following the instructions give it worked!

THANK YOU

I can keep my job now! Thanks Again.....

-Marlin

> Hello,

> I have gotten a SSL Certificate for our default web site so our employees
> can use Exchange OWA 2000 securely. Here is the problem I'm having... I
set
> it up in IIS to require SSL-128bit for OWA (/exchange) and that works but
> when our employees go to https://myserver/exchange it asks for there
> username and password and they enter it correctly and it asks about 11
more
> times and if you click on OK after entering the info in it still comes
back.
> Finally when the authentication box goes away OWA is garbled and doesn't
> work (looks nothing like it should be) for our employees. BUT heres the
> thing the members of the Administrators group DO NOT have this problem. We
> are behind a ISA Firewall...and have installed all Service Packs for
> Win2000, Exchange and ISA. I am stumped on what the problem could be. I
have
> changed the authentication methods in IIS and have the same problem. Is
this
> a Win2000 IIS problem, Exchange OWA Problem, or ISA Server problem?

> Any help would be appreciated!

> Thanks,
> Marlin A. Todd

1. OWA w/ SSL slow to establish SSL connection

Hello,

I'm having great difficulty trying to figure out why OWA is so slow using
SSL.
It seems to only be over the internet, but we have a 1Mbps connection, and
light usage, we were on a 100Mbps connection, but downgraded due to cost.
I am aware of the tremendous speed difference, but SSL only seems to be slow
for certain connections, it is blazing fast from one of our branch offices,
but dead slow from my house...
(My house isn't that far from the branch where its fast on Cable Modem, but
we have different ISP's, I'm on ADSL)

Thanks,

Clint McGuire

2. message size limits

3. OWA - to SSL or not to SSL??

4. Schedule+ Free/Busy Connector error alert

5. SSL Diagnostics: Beta 2 (I386 Only) -- OWA Users with SSL

6. Setup a newsgroup in public folders

7. Add virtual directory (non OWA) to OWA ssl setup

8. Drive config for Exchange server

9. Exchange 2003 OWA SSL question

10. EXchange 2003 : OWA and SSL

11. OWA, SSL and Exchange