How to Install and Configure OWA

Post by jon » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 18:52:09

Hi,

Much appreciated if anyone can provide some links or pointers.

Thanks.

Regards,
Ibase
Jon

How to Install and Configure OWA

Post by Robert Cohe » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 21:35:21

Is there any way to set up default preferences for OWA?
For example, can I set up so that when I come into an OWA
calender, that it comes up as a 7 day view as opposed to a
1 day view.  Or in the journal, can I change which fields
gets shown.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Exchange 2000 installs OWA by default. Inside your
network, try

>http://servername/exchange

>and see what you get.

>To make it available to users on the Internet, you need
to open up port 80
>to the server. It's actually best to force it to use SSL
and open port 443
>instead for added security. Have your ISP or whomever
hosts your domain's
>DNS create an A record that points to your public IP (or
you may be able to
>use the record specified for your MX record).

>See

>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?

url=/technet/prodtechn

>ol/exchange/exchange2000/deploy/confeat/e2kowa.asp
>for more info (note URL wrap) -

>This link may work better:

> http://makeashorterlink.com/?A14021832

>> Hi,

>> Much appreciated if anyone can provide some links or
pointers.

>> Thanks.

>> Regards,
>> Ibase
>> Jon

>.

How to Install and Configure OWA

Post by Marcel van Dij » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 21:37:02

www.microsoft.com/exchange

Quote:> Hi,

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 21:05:40

Exchange 2000 installs OWA by default. Inside your network, try

http://servername/exchange

and see what you get.

To make it available to users on the Internet, you need to open up port 80
to the server. It's actually best to force it to use SSL and open port 443
instead for added security. Have your ISP or whomever hosts your domain's
DNS create an A record that points to your public IP (or you may be able to
use the record specified for your MX record).

See

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/pr...
ol/exchange/exchange2000/deploy/confeat/e2kowa.asp
for more info (note URL wrap) -

This link may work better:

 http://makeashorterlink.com/?A14021832

Quote:> Hi,

> Much appreciated if anyone can provide some links or pointers.

> Thanks.

> Regards,
> Ibase
> Jon

How to Install and Configure OWA

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 21:50:58

I don't recall - I've never tried it. Try resetting the view and see if it
sticks next time you go in. I suspect it won't...

> Is there any way to set up default preferences for OWA?
> For example, can I set up so that when I come into an OWA
> calender, that it comes up as a 7 day view as opposed to a
> 1 day view.  Or in the journal, can I change which fields
> gets shown.

Post by david ruschine » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 19:48:36

IT keeps you default view of last usage - provide you are on the same
computer.
DR
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> I don't recall - I've never tried it. Try resetting the view and see if it
> sticks next time you go in. I suspect it won't...

> > Is there any way to set up default preferences for OWA?
> > For example, can I set up so that when I come into an OWA
> > calender, that it comes up as a 7 day view as opposed to a
> > 1 day view.  Or in the journal, can I change which fields
> > gets shown.

Post by Joseph Steinbe » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 04:10:09

Before opening up ports in the firewall and exposing your OWA server
to potential attacks, you may want to review the white paper entitled
e-Gap Webmail Appliance for MS Exchange: A Technical Overview
available at:

http://www.whalecommunications.com/whitepapers/

Whether you use our product or someone else's, you should be aware of
the security issues present when deploying OWA.

Joseph Steinberg
            _.._
           (_.-.\         Joseph Steinberg
       .-,       `        Director of Technical Services
  .--./ /     _.-""-.     Whale Communications

       ',.__.   ,__.-'/   (201) 947-9177 x1511