MS Mail w/ DOS SMTP Gateway

Post by Nitesh S. Bondal » Sun, 27 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I am doing some volunteer work at a local school, and they have an MS
Mail Server with one of the old DOS SMTP Gateways.  The SMTP gateway
keeps locking up on us (several times in the day).  We are going to
replace the MS Mail Server with Exchange 5.0 and the Internet Connecter
in 4 months, but I need an interim solution that utilizes my existing MS
Mail Server, and uses some other SMTP Gateway (WindowsNT preferably) to
receive and send the mail.  I have thought about diverting our mail to
another SMTP server which could send all mail to us one at a time...
would this be a viable solution?  I believe the main problem it is
having is too many SMTP connections at once (sending to it), but I could
be mistaken.  If anyone has had similar problems (I believe it is
common), I would appreciate any suggestions, or assistance you could
provide.  If you have any information on such a product or solution, I
would grately appreciate any assistance.  Thanks in advance for your
cooperation!

                        - Nitesh

MS Mail w/ DOS SMTP Gateway

Post by Ed Woodric » Sun, 27 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Nitesh,

MS Mail SMTP gateway is a known problem, everyone has it. Most people just
reboot it every few hours. The SMTP Gateway is single threaded, only one
message at a time can come into it. If you have the DNS pointed so that all
external systems point to it, change it, make it go through the external
router. The SMTP gateway doesn't like more than one person talking to it.

Don't try any of the other products, it will cost you too much time and
money. If you are going to Exchange, you can go ahead and install an
Exchange Server and let it act as the SMTP gateway for MS Mail.
--
Ed Woodrick
EDCOM

Quote:> Hello,

> I am doing some volunteer work at a local school, and they have an MS
> Mail Server with one of the old DOS SMTP Gateways.  The SMTP gateway
> keeps locking up on us (several times in the day).  We are going to
> replace the MS Mail Server with Exchange 5.0 and the Internet Connecter
> in 4 months, but I need an interim solution that utilizes my existing MS
> Mail Server, and uses some other SMTP Gateway (WindowsNT preferably) to
> receive and send the mail.  I have thought about diverting our mail to
> another SMTP server which could send all mail to us one at a time...
> would this be a viable solution?  I believe the main problem it is
> having is too many SMTP connections at once (sending to it), but I could
> be mistaken.  If anyone has had similar problems (I believe it is
> common), I would appreciate any suggestions, or assistance you could
> provide.  If you have any information on such a product or solution, I
> would grately appreciate any assistance.  Thanks in advance for your
> cooperation!

>                    - Nitesh

1. MS Mail w/ DOS SMTP Gateway

[...]

2. CCMAIL Connector Problem - HELP!

3. Smart User Function (as known from Unix) in Exchange Server possible?

4. Error -2147467259 in OWA Related to Pub Folders after Exch 2K SP2

5. Help finding my .pst file.

6. Looking for MS mail SMTP Gateway

7. Using Exchange as an SMTP Gateway with MS Mail

8. Exchange 4.0 as SMTP gateway to MS Mail PO

9. Looking for MS mail SMTP Gateway