administering exchange from nt workstation

administering exchange from nt workstation

Post by David Breedlove, OES » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

is there a way to run Exchange Admin from an NT Workstation box, or does it
have to be run from the Server?  any add ins or admin tools?

please send a cc of all responses to my email address, thanks.

David Breedlove
MIS Tech, OESC

administering exchange from nt workstation

Post by Suresh Babu Kandot » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Yes , you can install the Exchange Admin program on a NT workstation to
remotely administer a Exchange Server .

While doing the Setup , choose Custom option and then "Microsoft Exchange
Administrator" .
--
Greetings & Wishes

Suresh Babu Kandoth

ADITI Corp
www.aditi.com

administering exchange from nt workstation

Post by Ray Sundstro » Thu, 16 Jul 1998 04:00:00

David,

The Exchange Admin tool (and the Books Online) can be installed on any NT
workstation or server by running Setup and selecting Custom Installation.
In the selection dialog, leave the option for the Admin tool (and books if
desired) checked while unchecking Exchange Server.

Regards,

Ray Sundstrom
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Post by Rune Mober » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Yes , you can install the Exchange Admin program on a NT workstation to
> remotely administer a Exchange Server .

> While doing the Setup , choose Custom option and then "Microsoft Exchange
> Administrator" .

However, be aware that administrating an Exchange server that resides on
a different domain isn't possible without resorting to some dirty
tricks. Strange, considering that the regular NT administrative tools
(User Manager, File Manager, Server Manager and Internet Svc Mgr) work
just fine in such a configuration. :-(

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q146/3/21.asp
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q147/3/66.asp

--
Rune

administering exchange from nt workstation

Post by Elton Tucke » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

HUH???

Exchange admin can administer servers in other domains.  You just have to
make sure that you're current NT account has privaleges on that server via a
trust or that you have an identical username password in that domain (i
would avoid this if possible).  Hardly dirty tricks, it's simple NT domain
structure which applies to user manager et al. as well.  If you don't have
rights you don't get to play.  That simple.

If you have to play with multiple untrusted domains I would suggest using
the SU command from the NT resource kit to open an exchange admin session in
the security context of the account you need.

Elton Tucker MCSE ASE

Post by Amiri Jone » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>HUH???

>If you have to play with multiple untrusted domains I would suggest using
>the SU command from the NT resource kit to open an exchange admin session
in
>the security context of the account you need.

    Get the version from Supplement 2 of the NTS Resource Kit.  It installs
as a service, and you don't have to give the account any advanced user
rights.

administering exchange from nt workstation

Post by Guy Co » Fri, 17 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I also think that there is a Win95 exchange Admin took buried someplace on
the BackOffice 2.0 distribution.

>Yes , you can install the Exchange Admin program on a NT workstation to
>remotely administer a Exchange Server .

>While doing the Setup , choose Custom option and then "Microsoft Exchange
>Administrator" .
>--
>Greetings & Wishes

>Suresh Babu Kandoth

>ADITI Corp
>www.aditi.com

administering exchange from nt workstation

Post by Elton Tucke » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

No there isn't.  There is a tool which sounds like it might be a 95 admin
tool but it isn't.  Exchange admin only runs on NTS and NTW.   Future WBEM
(web based enterprise management) initiatives may bring a tool with some
admin capablilities to the browser.

Elton Tucker MCSE ASE

>I also think that there is a Win95 exchange Admin took buried someplace on
>the BackOffice 2.0 distribution.

>>Yes , you can install the Exchange Admin program on a NT workstation to
>>remotely administer a Exchange Server .

>>While doing the Setup , choose Custom option and then "Microsoft Exchange
>>Administrator" .
>>--
>>Greetings & Wishes

>>Suresh Babu Kandoth

>>ADITI Corp
>>www.aditi.com

administering exchange from nt workstation

Post by Jeff Ritche » Wed, 22 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Run the exchange server setup on your workstation and only install the admin
section, not the whole server.