Contact list / Distribution list help for e2k

Contact list / Distribution list help for e2k

Post by Dan » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 00:50:51

On our exchange 5.5 we had a distribution list / contact list ( dont know
the proper name for it, to early ) that when a user got added to the domain
they also got added to this master list, so that we could send a e-mail to
this list and everyone gets the e-mail. How do I go about setting one of
these up again in exchange 2000 ?

Dan

Contact list / Distribution list help for e2k

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 02:17:21

There's no automatic distribution list; never has been. What you can do is
copy an existing user account when creating a new one, and it will belong to
the same groups. Create an All Staff group or somesuch.

> On our exchange 5.5 we had a distribution list / contact list ( dont
> know the proper name for it, to early ) that when a user got added to
> the domain they also got added to this master list, so that we could
> send a e-mail to this list and everyone gets the e-mail. How do I go
> about setting one of these up again in exchange 2000 ?

> Dan

Contact list / Distribution list help for e2k

Post by Danie » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 05:33:03

Lanwench, that is odd, because on the sbs4.5 box, when I add a new user to
the domain it created the user account and mail account then asked if I
wanted to add them to a Distrabution List in the global address book. This
DL allowed you send a e-mail to all the accounts with having to select each
and every one of them.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> There's no automatic distribution list; never has been. What you can do is
> copy an existing user account when creating a new one, and it will belong
> the same groups. Create an All Staff group or somesuch.

> > On our exchange 5.5 we had a distribution list / contact list ( dont
> > know the proper name for it, to early ) that when a user got added to
> > the domain they also got added to this master list, so that we could
> > send a e-mail to this list and everyone gets the e-mail. How do I go
> > about setting one of these up again in exchange 2000 ?

> > Dan

Contact list / Distribution list help for e2k

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 09:33:23

SBS has a lot of 'wizards' - this may be one of them. Exchange has never
done this by default.

> Lanwench, that is odd, because on the sbs4.5 box, when I add a new
> user to the domain it created the user account and mail account then
> asked if I wanted to add them to a Distrabution List in the global
> address book. This DL allowed you send a e-mail to all the accounts
> with having to select each and every one of them.

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

>> There's no automatic distribution list; never has been. What you can
>> do is copy an existing user account when creating a new one, and it
>> will belong to the same groups. Create an All Staff group or
>> somesuch.

>>> On our exchange 5.5 we had a distribution list / contact list ( dont
>>> know the proper name for it, to early ) that when a user got added
>>> to the domain they also got added to this master list, so that we
>>> could send a e-mail to this list and everyone gets the e-mail. How
>>> do I go about setting one of these up again in exchange 2000 ?

>>> Dan

Contact list / Distribution list help for e2k

Post by Dan » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 00:14:03

Ah. Just figured it was part of exchange server since the DL is located in
exchange 5.5 mailboxes and there is a option to setup a new one.. So there
is no way I can setup DL for everyone to use? I am going to love this,
already been asked by the users for that little feature.
Thanks.
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> SBS has a lot of 'wizards' - this may be one of them. Exchange has never
> done this by default.

> > Lanwench, that is odd, because on the sbs4.5 box, when I add a new
> > user to the domain it created the user account and mail account then
> > asked if I wanted to add them to a Distrabution List in the global
> > address book. This DL allowed you send a e-mail to all the accounts
> > with having to select each and every one of them.

> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> >> There's no automatic distribution list; never has been. What you can
> >> do is copy an existing user account when creating a new one, and it
> >> will belong to the same groups. Create an All Staff group or
> >> somesuch.

Contact list / Distribution list help for e2k

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 02:05:42

The easiest thing to do is to copy an existing user when creating a new one.
You don't need the wizards. It's very easy!

> Ah. Just figured it was part of exchange server since the DL is
> located in exchange 5.5 mailboxes and there is a option to setup a
> new one.. So there is no way I can setup DL for everyone to use? I am
> going to love this, already been asked by the users for that little
> feature. Thanks.
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

>> SBS has a lot of 'wizards' - this may be one of them. Exchange has
>> never done this by default.

>>> Lanwench, that is odd, because on the sbs4.5 box, when I add a new
>>> user to the domain it created the user account and mail account then
>>> asked if I wanted to add them to a Distrabution List in the global
>>> address book. This DL allowed you send a e-mail to all the accounts
>>> with having to select each and every one of them.

>>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

Contact list / Distribution list help for e2k

Post by Dan » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 03:07:57

But what I am trying to do is have one object that would send e-mail to all
the users, that I
 put in a list. Maybe I just not understanding what you are saying or vise
versa.

Thanks

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> The easiest thing to do is to copy an existing user when creating a new
one.
> You don't need the wizards. It's very easy!

> > Ah. Just figured it was part of exchange server since the DL is
> > located in exchange 5.5 mailboxes and there is a option to setup a
> > new one.. So there is no way I can setup DL for everyone to use? I am
> > going to love this, already been asked by the users for that little
> > feature. Thanks.
> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> >> SBS has a lot of 'wizards' - this may be one of them. Exchange has
> >> never done this by default.

Contact list / Distribution list help for e2k

Post by Dan » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 04:44:47

Exchange 5.5 allows me to create a General Distribution List in the
recpients directory, now are you saying that was a feature in sbs 4.5 ?  If
not, Can I create the same DL in e2k that the users can select out of the
Global Address Book when they click the TO: when creating a new email?
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> The easiest thing to do is to copy an existing user when creating a new
one.
> You don't need the wizards. It's very easy!

> > Ah. Just figured it was part of exchange server since the DL is
> > located in exchange 5.5 mailboxes and there is a option to setup a
> > new one.. So there is no way I can setup DL for everyone to use? I am
> > going to love this, already been asked by the users for that little
> > feature. Thanks.
> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

> >> SBS has a lot of 'wizards' - this may be one of them. Exchange has
> >> never done this by default.

Contact list / Distribution list help for e2k

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 09:25:48

See reply above

> Exchange 5.5 allows me to create a General Distribution List in the
> recpients directory, now are you saying that was a feature in sbs 4.5
> ?  If not, Can I create the same DL in e2k that the users can select
> out of the Global Address Book when they click the TO: when creating
> a new email? "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

>> The easiest thing to do is to copy an existing user when creating a
>> new one. You don't need the wizards. It's very easy!

>>> Ah. Just figured it was part of exchange server since the DL is
>>> located in exchange 5.5 mailboxes and there is a option to setup a
>>> new one.. So there is no way I can setup DL for everyone to use? I
>>> am going to love this, already been asked by the users for that
>>> little feature. Thanks.
>>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"

Contact list / Distribution list help for e2k

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 09:25:40

I think we have a miscommunication somewhere. You need to create a
mail-enabled group called "All Staff" or "Everybody" or whatever you like.
Add the mailboxes to it. When you send to All Staff, each member will get
the message. When you want to create a new user, copy an existing one who
belongs to that group,  and the new one will also belong to it.