exch2k drive space/performance Q?

Post by LP » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:26:23

I have Exchange 2000 running on Compaq ML 530.

ML530 have dual channel raid controller connected to two drive cages.

There are 2 9.1GB drive mirrored in the first cage and 3 18.2 GB drives
connected as Raid 5 to the second channel.

9.1 mirrored drives has two BASIC partitions 5.16GB and 3.16GB

First partition 5.16GB (Drive C:) is system and 3.16 is free (drive F:)

Raid drives have one dynamic partition 34GB (drive E:)

When I am looking at the space left on drive C: it says total 5.16 and 446mg
Fee

If I check virtual drive M: it shows me the same reading as C: drive total
5.16GB and 446 Free.

When I look under Exchange System Manger First Storage group properties both
transaction log and system path location is E:\exchange\mdbdata. Both
mailbox store and public folder store database location is also pointing to
E:\exchange\mdbdata

Exchange\mdbdata is currently 3GB is size while mydomain.com on M drive is
1.2GB.

My questions are:

  1.. Why is M: and C: drive looks the same while both log and database
located on C:
  2.. Am I going to hit the limit on virtual M: drive?
  3.. How to optimize exchange for best reliability /performance without
rebuilding exchange from scratch.
Thank you very much for taken your time to read. Any suggestion will be
greatly appreciated.

exch2k drive space/performance Q?

Post by Neil Hobso » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 22:35:03

Drive M:  is a virtual drive; ignore it.  As long as you've got sufficient
free disk space on the drives where your physical database files reside,
you'll be fine (that's drive E: in your case).

The general best practise is to separate your databases from your logs,
putting the logs on a dedicated RAID1 array.

--
Neil Hobson
Silversands

http://www.silversands.co.uk

Quote:> I have Exchange 2000 running on Compaq ML 530.

> ML530 have dual channel raid controller connected to two drive cages.

> There are 2 9.1GB drive mirrored in the first cage and 3 18.2 GB drives
> connected as Raid 5 to the second channel.

> 9.1 mirrored drives has two BASIC partitions 5.16GB and 3.16GB

> First partition 5.16GB (Drive C:) is system and 3.16 is free (drive F:)

> Raid drives have one dynamic partition 34GB (drive E:)

> When I am looking at the space left on drive C: it says total 5.16 and
446mg
> Fee

> If I check virtual drive M: it shows me the same reading as C: drive total
> 5.16GB and 446 Free.

> When I look under Exchange System Manger First Storage group properties
both
> transaction log and system path location is E:\exchange\mdbdata. Both
> mailbox store and public folder store database location is also pointing
> E:\exchange\mdbdata

> Exchange\mdbdata is currently 3GB is size while mydomain.com on M drive is
> 1.2GB.

> My questions are:

>   1.. Why is M: and C: drive looks the same while both log and database
> located on C:
>   2.. Am I going to hit the limit on virtual M: drive?
>   3.. How to optimize exchange for best reliability /performance without
> rebuilding exchange from scratch.
> Thank you very much for taken your time to read. Any suggestion will be
> greatly appreciated.

1. exch2k drive space/performance Q?

[...]

2. User32.dll error and IMS

3. NTDSNoMatch Utility

4. Running out of drive space on boot drive.

5. Exchange 2000 in an NT4-environment (not Active Directory)

6. Installed exch2k to C: but want on separate drive

7. Where to setup/edit email footer message?

8. exch 2k performance/disk space q?

9. Performance Optimizer Scratch Space

10. Performance Performance Performance

11. How much space required for 75 user's in M drive E2k server

12. M drive space issue