Folder Permissions versus Attachment Permissions

Folder Permissions versus Attachment Permissions

Post by Johnmichael Monteit » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 04:14:17

We have a recurring problem in our Exchange Public Folders:

We have given users the rights to read and add emails to a particular Public
Folder, but not to delete or modify anything.

A user puts in a bunch of emails in said Public Folder, and they come back
later to find that they can not open the emails that have attachments.  It
appears that attachments may have different permissions than the folder /
email themselves.

Adding to the dilemma is that the problem appears to clear itself up over
time.

Has anyone else run into this?  What solutions have you found?

Thank you.

Johnmichael Monteith
Parker Smith & Feek, Inc.

Folder Permissions versus Attachment Permissions

Post by Teresa Appelgate [MS » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 06:19:40

It's possible that the messages have different permissions--however, an
attachment is protected by the message's permissions (even if the attachment
has its own permissions, they aren't used).

--
Teresa Appelgate
Exchange User Education

****** Disclaimers ******

purposes only.

Quote:> We have a recurring problem in our Exchange Public Folders:

> We have given users the rights to read and add emails to a particular
Public
> Folder, but not to delete or modify anything.

> A user puts in a bunch of emails in said Public Folder, and they come back
> later to find that they can not open the emails that have attachments.  It
> appears that attachments may have different permissions than the folder /
> email themselves.

> Adding to the dilemma is that the problem appears to clear itself up over
> time.

> Has anyone else run into this?  What solutions have you found?

> Thank you.

> Johnmichael Monteith
> Parker Smith & Feek, Inc.

Folder Permissions versus Attachment Permissions

Post by Johnmichael Monteit » Sun, 24 Nov 2002 03:17:23

Thank you for your message. Do you know off-hand how to edit message
permissions? There is not "properties" option when right-clicking a message
as there is for folders to edit the permissions.

Thank you so much!

jp

> It's possible that the messages have different permissions--however, an
> attachment is protected by the message's permissions (even if the
attachment
> has its own permissions, they aren't used).

> --
> Teresa Appelgate
> Exchange User Education

> ****** Disclaimers ******
rights.

> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup
> purposes only.

> > We have a recurring problem in our Exchange Public Folders:

> > We have given users the rights to read and add emails to a particular
> Public
> > Folder, but not to delete or modify anything.

> > A user puts in a bunch of emails in said Public Folder, and they come
back
> > later to find that they can not open the emails that have attachments.
It
> > appears that attachments may have different permissions than the folder
/
> > email themselves.

> > Adding to the dilemma is that the problem appears to clear itself up
over
> > time.

> > Has anyone else run into this?  What solutions have you found?

> > Thank you.

> > Johnmichael Monteith
> > Parker Smith & Feek, Inc.

1. 5.5 versus 2000 mailbox permissions

Hello,

I am having trouble trying to figure out where I need to go to find the
correct way of handling issue's in 2000 versus 5.5.

We have mailboxes that correspond to conference rooms.  It used to be that
as a Domain Admin, I could open up the conference room mailbox (without
loggin in as the conference room) and accept and/or deny meetings in the
room.  Now the only way I can get it to work is if I do log in as the
conference room.  Is there an easier way to do this?

I've had no coffee this morning, been banging my head against the wall for 3
weeks on exchange 2000 and I really think I'm just brain dead on Exchange
period.

Thanks for your help.

Jackie

2. Backup to other media than tapes

3. permission admin cannot modify permissions on public folders

4. Not receiving internet e-mail

5. Permission problems with attachments in public folder

6. Printing Group Schedules

7. Permissions to Change Permissions

8. SMTP testing

9. MAPI permissions -v- Win2000 permissions

10. Can't change the Folder Permission under Public Folder

11. Can't change Folder permission under public folder

12. Public Folder permissions / Team Folders problems

13. Public Folder, All Public Folders and permissions