can not send outbound mail without making E2k a open relay server

can not send outbound mail without making E2k a open relay server

Post by zahi » Mon, 19 May 2003 22:44:09

Hi

I have a strange problem with exchange 2000 server and
relaying out mail. I have set up exchange on a test
machine, I can recieve mail for my domain name but can not
relay out. If I go to system manager and look at
properties for my smtp server, in access > relay, it is
set on "only the list below" I have added the ip address
of my lan in the list. and "allow all computers which
successfully authenticate." is ticked. however I can still
not relay out. If I change the setting to "all except the
list below" Every thing works fine I can send and reieve
email but so can everyone else, In other word it becomes a
open relay server.

Does anyone know what is going wrong I want to be able to
relay and stop everone else from doing so, all the tech
net articles suggest what I've already done so why is it
not working? Please help I need this working for monday
morning.

thanks

Zahid
.

can not send outbound mail without making E2k a open relay server

Post by Mark Fugatt [MVP » Tue, 20 May 2003 00:32:01

What client are you using?

--
Mark Fugatt
Microsoft Exchange MVP

Quote:> Hi

> I have a strange problem with exchange 2000 server and
> relaying out mail. I have set up exchange on a test
> machine, I can recieve mail for my domain name but can not
> relay out. If I go to system manager and look at
> properties for my smtp server, in access > relay, it is
> set on "only the list below" I have added the ip address
> of my lan in the list. and "allow all computers which
> successfully authenticate." is ticked. however I can still
> not relay out. If I change the setting to "all except the
> list below" Every thing works fine I can send and reieve
> email but so can everyone else, In other word it becomes a
> open relay server.

> Does anyone know what is going wrong I want to be able to
> relay and stop everone else from doing so, all the tech
> net articles suggest what I've already done so why is it
> not working? Please help I need this working for monday
> morning.

> thanks

> Zahid
> .

can not send outbound mail without making E2k a open relay server

Post by Zahid Al » Wed, 21 May 2003 20:43:37

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I've worked out that if I use outlook it works fine
and if I use outlook express or any other pop client it only works if I tick
the box under the outgoing mail server section "my server requires
authentication". I want to be able to send smtp mail without having to
authenticate with user name and password, as long as my users regardless of
pop client and are within my LAN (ip range of 192.168.0.x) then I want them
to be able to relay out without authentication. I hope you can help.

Thanks

> What client are you using?

> --
> Mark Fugatt
> Microsoft Exchange MVP
> www.exchangetrainer.com
> www.msexchange.org

> > Hi

> > I have a strange problem with exchange 2000 server and
> > relaying out mail. I have set up exchange on a test
> > machine, I can recieve mail for my domain name but can not
> > relay out. If I go to system manager and look at
> > properties for my smtp server, in access > relay, it is
> > set on "only the list below" I have added the ip address
> > of my lan in the list. and "allow all computers which
> > successfully authenticate." is ticked. however I can still
> > not relay out. If I change the setting to "all except the
> > list below" Every thing works fine I can send and reieve
> > email but so can everyone else, In other word it becomes a
> > open relay server.

> > Does anyone know what is going wrong I want to be able to
> > relay and stop everone else from doing so, all the tech
> > net articles suggest what I've already done so why is it
> > not working? Please help I need this working for monday
> > morning.

> > thanks

> > Zahid
> > .

can not send outbound mail without making E2k a open relay server

Post by MSFT » Thu, 22 May 2003 02:22:56

HTH,
Scott