POP3 configuration

Post by Leste » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 03:38:17

     Hello Lanwench, Mark Fugatt and Gurus

I would like to be able to retrieve mail from my E2K
Server at home via POP3. I am confused about the 2
Authentication methods ....Basic and Integrated
Windows.....Where it says account name and password in
Outlook 2000 Internet mail profile do I have to enter my
domain user account and passwd??? Can someone please send
me some links where I can configure POP3 on both Server
and Client side

Thank You

POP3 configuration

Post by Mark Fugat » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 03:52:00

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Connecting_POP_And_IMAP_Clients_T...
change_Server.html

When you are configuring the POP3 client you are correct is assuming you
must enter your network logon name and password in the client configuration,
one thing to watch out for is if your network logon name is different from
your email alias, so lets say my logon name is "mark" and my email alias is
"mark" also, this would not cause a problem, but if my logon name is
"mfugatt" and my email alias is "mark" and my domain is "exchangetrainer",
when you enter the information in the client you would need to specify it in
the following format:

domainname\netlogonname\exchangealias, i.e. exchangetrainer\mfugatt\mark

Also make sure you configure the client to authenticate with the outgoing
mail server as well, or you will be unable to send mail.

There is really nothing you need to do on the Exchange server to give you
POP3 support, if you have a firewall you will need to ensure you have port
110 open for POP3 traffic.

Hope this helps

--
Mark Fugatt
Pentech Office Solutions Inc

Quote:>      Hello Lanwench, Mark Fugatt and Gurus

> I would like to be able to retrieve mail from my E2K
> Server at home via POP3. I am confused about the 2
> Authentication methods ....Basic and Integrated
> Windows.....Where it says account name and password in
> Outlook 2000 Internet mail profile do I have to enter my
> domain user account and passwd??? Can someone please send
> me some links where I can configure POP3 on both Server
> and Client side

> Thank You

POP3 configuration

Post by Lanwench [MVP - Exchange » Wed, 13 Nov 2002 04:13:17

To add to Mark's sage advice -

I'd actually recommend using Outlook Web Access or VPN instead, to access
the mailbox directly. POP will let you download new items in your inbox, but
won't give you access to any other folders - plus your sent items will not
be there for you at work - and, if you aren't careful about how you
configure your POP client, you may end up emptying out your Inbox at work
when you download your mail. Just my two cents. OWA is prolly easiest. And
it's installed already.

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Connecting_POP_And_IMAP_Clients_T...

> change_Server.html

> When you are configuring the POP3 client you are correct is assuming you
> must enter your network logon name and password in the client
configuration,
> one thing to watch out for is if your network logon name is different from
> your email alias, so lets say my logon name is "mark" and my email alias
is
> "mark" also, this would not cause a problem, but if my logon name is
> "mfugatt" and my email alias is "mark" and my domain is "exchangetrainer",
> when you enter the information in the client you would need to specify it
in
> the following format:

> domainname\netlogonname\exchangealias, i.e. exchangetrainer\mfugatt\mark

> Also make sure you configure the client to authenticate with the outgoing
> mail server as well, or you will be unable to send mail.

> There is really nothing you need to do on the Exchange server to give you
> POP3 support, if you have a firewall you will need to ensure you have port
> 110 open for POP3 traffic.

> Hope this helps

> --
> Mark Fugatt
> Pentech Office Solutions Inc
> www.exchangetrainer.com and www.4mcts.com
> Visit www.msexchange.org for practical information on Microsoft Exchange

> --- Please respond to this newsgroup and not directly via Email ---

> >      Hello Lanwench, Mark Fugatt and Gurus

> > I would like to be able to retrieve mail from my E2K
> > Server at home via POP3. I am confused about the 2
> > Authentication methods ....Basic and Integrated
> > Windows.....Where it says account name and password in
> > Outlook 2000 Internet mail profile do I have to enter my
> > domain user account and passwd??? Can someone please send
> > me some links where I can configure POP3 on both Server
> > and Client side

> > Thank You

1. POP3 Configuration

Hi,

We have configured Exchange 2000 in our organization.  We
could configure the SMTP services and the users could send
messages to external domains.  But, we face problem in
receiving mails to our mail ids.  The mails sent to
official id's are not getting downloaded in Exchange
Server and in turn we could not get in our mail client.

Our domain names (internet & internal LAN) are same.

I am clueless in this part of configuration.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
Sathya.

2. Permission

3. POP3 Configuration on Exchange 5.5

4. Cracking a Personal Folders Password

5. MSExhange Pop3 Configuration

6. Email being resent

7. POP3 Configuration Question

8. Exchange Server 5 mailbox question

9. POP3 Configuration Failure to Send Internet E-Mail

10. SMTP & POP3 Configuration

11. POP3 Configuration

12. POP3 Configuration Question

13. Using Exchange Global Address List with POP3 Configuration