Upgrade Windows 2000 With Exchange 2000 to Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Upgrade Windows 2000 With Exchange 2000 to Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Post by Ben Oate » Fri, 02 May 2003 01:29:24

We are running Exchange 2000 on Windows 2k Server.  Our
Information Store is just over 16GB now.  We want to
increase our 1GB of RAM to 3GB, but according to Q-
Articles 266096 and 328882; I can only have 1 Gb of RAM in
Win 2k server.

The Question:
If I get Windows 2000 Advanced Server, can I upgrade my
existing Exchange 2000 with Win2k Server to Win2k Advanced
Server w/o breaking exchange?  Or is it a format and
install the Advanced Server and restore the Exchange Data?

Thanks,

Upgrade Windows 2000 With Exchange 2000 to Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Post by Benoit Boudevill » Fri, 02 May 2003 02:33:05

Why the heck do you want to do that ?
The information store size don't have anything to do with the physical
memory size. If you want to break the IS limits, installed Exchange Server
ENTERPRISE edition !!! This version doesn't require Advanced Server unless
you want to do clustering of course (which would require a complete reinstall)

So... 1 Gb of RAM is far far enough afterall.

For the rest, I don't know since I've never attempted to upgrade an in-place
server to advanced server, especially when you know how sensitiev is Exchange
regarding to configuration changes !!!

> We are running Exchange 2000 on Windows 2k Server.  Our
> Information Store is just over 16GB now.  We want to
> increase our 1GB of RAM to 3GB, but according to Q-
> Articles 266096 and 328882; I can only have 1 Gb of RAM in
> Win 2k server.

> The Question:
> If I get Windows 2000 Advanced Server, can I upgrade my
> existing Exchange 2000 with Win2k Server to Win2k Advanced
> Server w/o breaking exchange?  Or is it a format and
> install the Advanced Server and restore the Exchange Data?

> Thanks,

Upgrade Windows 2000 With Exchange 2000 to Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Post by Tom » Wed, 14 May 2003 08:21:10

I am not aware that upgrading from 2000 server to advanced
server exists. I thought it was impossible.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

>Why the heck do you want to do that ?
>The information store size don't have anything to do with
the physical
>memory size. If you want to break the IS limits,

installed Exchange Server
Quote:>ENTERPRISE edition !!! This version doesn't require

Advanced Server unless
Quote:>you want to do clustering of course (which would require

a complete reinstall)
Quote:

>So... 1 Gb of RAM is far far enough afterall.

>For the rest, I don't know since I've never attempted to
upgrade an in-place
>server to advanced server, especially when you know how

sensitiev is Exchange
>regarding to configuration changes !!!

>> We are running Exchange 2000 on Windows 2k Server.  Our
>> Information Store is just over 16GB now.  We want to
>> increase our 1GB of RAM to 3GB, but according to Q-
>> Articles 266096 and 328882; I can only have 1 Gb of RAM
in
>> Win 2k server.

>> The Question:
>> If I get Windows 2000 Advanced Server, can I upgrade my
>> existing Exchange 2000 with Win2k Server to Win2k
>> Server w/o breaking exchange?  Or is it a format and
>> install the Advanced Server and restore the Exchange
Data?

>> Thanks,

>.

Upgrade Windows 2000 With Exchange 2000 to Windows 2000 Advanced Server

Post by Benoit Boudevill » Wed, 14 May 2003 15:36:18

Erf no it's not possible, I wonder why I wrote that =P

All I meant, was :
- upgrading memory is useless since 1) the information store limit of 16 Gb is linked
   to software restrictions, not physical memory capacities 2) if you run a Standard
   Edition of Windows 2000 and have more than 1Gb you won't be able to use the /3GB switch
   in boot.ini to optimize memory management for applications (ie: Exchange), and will loose
   substential memory that won't be allocated to E2K or applications
- if you want to upgrade to Advanced Server, you have to resinstall the whole machine, although
   I wonder if the /disasterrecovery Exchange setup switch wouldn't be similar in the end to an
   in-place upgrade, as long as you keep most system parameters identical ?
- if you want to recude your store size, you can run ESEUTIL /D to defragment it. Although, this
   requires the information store to be offline and may take some time =P read docs about it,
   that might temporary help you

> I am not aware that upgrading from 2000 server to advanced
> server exists. I thought it was impossible.

1. Exchange server 2000 does not install on Windows 2000 Advanced Server

I want to install Exchange 2000 server on Windows 2000 Advanced Server. But
When i choose typical Installation options, it gives an error message that
"Mutiple Components cannot be assigned the requested action(s) because:
Microsoft Exchange 2000 server requires Microsoft windows 2000, Service Pack
1 or higher.

Does exchange server still need sp1 for even Advanced server.

Thankx!

2. Offline Address Book Error

3. Exchange 2000 server on Windows 2000 advance server.

4. Connect ExchgSvr 5.0 to POP3 Svr by LAN - how?

5. SMTP Connector for internal mail

6. Ghosted mail accounts

7. Exchange 2000 Enterprise Edition on Windows 2000 Server (not Advanced Server)

8. Exchange Server 2000 doesn't work on Windows 2000 Advanced Server DC

9. Windows Advanced Server 2000 and Exchange 2000 Beta

10. Exchange Server Beta 3 and Windows 2000 RC3 or Windows 2000 final release