sharing of calendars and contacts with exchange and outlook

sharing of calendars and contacts with exchange and outlook

Post by Trish Holl » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have been searching all over for instructions on how to set up my exchange
server with outlook clients  to allow for the sharing of  calendars and
contacts. I understand the concept... just would like the step by step.

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it.

sharing of calendars and contacts with exchange and outlook

Post by Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

For information on how to share Outlook items, try Sue Mosher's pages:
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm

--
Milly Staples - [MVP - Outlook]
Questions about Outlook?  Look here for answers:

| I have been searching all over for instructions on how to set up my
exchange
| server with outlook clients  to allow for the sharing of  calendars and
| contacts. I understand the concept... just would like the step by step.
|
| If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it.

sharing of calendars and contacts with exchange and outlook

Post by Trish Holl » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have tried that link and I don't find what I need

sharing of calendars and contacts with exchange and outlook

Post by Step » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Trish,

Probably the most simple way is to do the following.   If someone wants to
share their Calendar (or any other folder for that matter), all they have to
do is right click on the folder within Outlook.  Select Properties, and go
to the 'Permissions' tab.  If they would like everyone in the Organisation
to be able to have read access they can set the 'default' permission to
'reviewer' (there is a drop down list with some already defined
permissions).  However, if they only want one person to access their folder
you should leave the default permissions as 'none'.  You can then click on
the 'Add' button and select the person from the address book.  You then need
to set the permission level for that user by either choosing one of the
already defined permissions from the drop down list or creating your own
custom level by using the checkboxes.

Once this is done, the person who now has permissions to this mailbox only
needs to go to the 'File' menu from within Outlook and select 'Open' ->
'Other Users Folder'.  this will bring up a little dialog box asking you to
put in the name of the person mailbox you want to access and a drop down
list of what folder you want to open.

A lot of writing for such a simple procedure huh ?

Let me know if I have just given you the completely wrong information.

Step.

Quote:> I have tried that link and I don't find what I need

sharing of calendars and contacts with exchange and outlook

Post by Trish Holl » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Step...
thanx for you response.. and here in the inevitable but...
when I go to the properties of the folder.. there is no "permissions" tab.
Which is no big deal. I am running 98. There is a sharing tab. In there the
only options you can change are how often the updates will be sent and to
verify contents of member folders.. the size, send updates now and to stop
sharing the folder.
So.. that sends me the alternate root. File, Share, calendar. I choose the
person I wish to share with.  you do the permission thing there. ... then
off to the other person. When I go to File open there is no option for
"other Users Folder".  I believe that this all has to do with that dreaded
"exchange".
I know that you have to set up public folders within exchange, but I can't
seem to get that far.  Can't find where to add a folder. you would think
File New.. but... I have set this up fine on a network that is not using
exchange, but that was over a year ago.
Hense the dilemma continues.

sharing of calendars and contacts with exchange and outlook

Post by Tim Johnso » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Trish,

Are you using client side storage for the mailbox or are you using server
side storage.  With client side storage you are not able to give other users
permission to see your folders.

Tim Johnson
TMI Systems Design Corp.
*inson, ND 58601
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> Step...
> thanx for you response.. and here in the inevitable but...
> when I go to the properties of the folder.. there is no "permissions" tab.
> Which is no big deal. I am running 98. There is a sharing tab. In there
the
> only options you can change are how often the updates will be sent and to
> verify contents of member folders.. the size, send updates now and to stop
> sharing the folder.
> So.. that sends me the alternate root. File, Share, calendar. I choose the
> person I wish to share with.  you do the permission thing there. ... then
> off to the other person. When I go to File open there is no option for
> "other Users Folder".  I believe that this all has to do with that dreaded
> "exchange".
> I know that you have to set up public folders within exchange, but I can't
> seem to get that far.  Can't find where to add a folder. you would think
> File New.. but... I have set this up fine on a network that is not using
> exchange, but that was over a year ago.
> Hense the dilemma continues.

sharing of calendars and contacts with exchange and outlook

Post by Gordon Padwic » Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Trish:

You'll find useful information in Chapter 27 "Using Exchange Server to Share
Information" of my book "Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2000,"
published by Que.

Gordon

>Trish,

>Are you using client side storage for the mailbox or are you using server
>side storage.  With client side storage you are not able to give other
users
>permission to see your folders.

>Tim Johnson
>TMI Systems Design Corp.
>Dickinson, ND 58601
>http://www.tmisystems.com

>> Step...
>> thanx for you response.. and here in the inevitable but...
>> when I go to the properties of the folder.. there is no "permissions"
tab.
>> Which is no big deal. I am running 98. There is a sharing tab. In there
>the
>> only options you can change are how often the updates will be sent and to
>> verify contents of member folders.. the size, send updates now and to
stop
>> sharing the folder.
>> So.. that sends me the alternate root. File, Share, calendar. I choose
the
>> person I wish to share with.  you do the permission thing there. ... then
>> off to the other person. When I go to File open there is no option for
>> "other Users Folder".  I believe that this all has to do with that
dreaded
>> "exchange".
>> I know that you have to set up public folders within exchange, but I
can't
>> seem to get that far.  Can't find where to add a folder. you would think
>> File New.. but... I have set this up fine on a network that is not using
>> exchange, but that was over a year ago.
>> Hense the dilemma continues.

sharing of calendars and contacts with exchange and outlook

Post by Sue Mosher [MVP » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Not knowing exactly how Outlook is configured (check Tools | Services), it
sounds to me like you're seeing commands for two different systems of
sharing information.

The File | Share command belongs to Net Folders, which is intended for
people without Exchange Server. It works by replicating the contents of
shared folders via email messages. Permissions for Net Folder shares are set
with the File | Share command.

The File | Open | Other User's Folder command that's disabled is for
Exchange Server. So is the Permissions tab on the folder; you won't see it
if you are working in a Personal Folders file, rather than an Exchange
mailbox.

Now, to add a public folder in Exchange Server, you can use File | New |
Folder. Look in the folder list for Public Folders | All Public Folders. You
would create a new folder there, assuming you have permissions.
--
Sue Mosher
Author of

Quote:> Step...
> thanx for you response.. and here in the inevitable but...
> when I go to the properties of the folder.. there is no "permissions" tab.
> Which is no big deal. I am running 98. There is a sharing tab. In there
the
> only options you can change are how often the updates will be sent and to
> verify contents of member folders.. the size, send updates now and to stop
> sharing the folder.
> So.. that sends me the alternate root. File, Share, calendar. I choose the
> person I wish to share with.  you do the permission thing there. ... then
> off to the other person. When I go to File open there is no option for
> "other Users Folder".  I believe that this all has to do with that dreaded
> "exchange".
> I know that you have to set up public folders within exchange, but I can't
> seem to get that far.  Can't find where to add a folder. you would think
> File New.. but... I have set this up fine on a network that is not using
> exchange, but that was over a year ago.
> Hense the dilemma continues.

sharing of calendars and contacts with exchange and outlook

Post by Trish Holl » Sat, 21 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi Tim

I am currently using client storage. I would like to eventually move it over
to server storage. my prolbem is with creating the storage.. the folders..
If you create it within exchange, then in public folders, file new doesn't
cut it.

sharing of calendars and contacts with exchange and outlook

Post by Howi » Tue, 24 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Very impressive Gordon. Coming here to keep in touch with the public? Well
done. Your book just moved up on my 'to read' list.

Howie

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 25 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Very impressive Gordon. Coming here to keep in touch with the public? Well
>done. Your book just moved up on my 'to read' list.

I would have been more impressed with an answer instead of an
adverti*t.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. sharing of calendars and contacts with exchange and outlook

I have been searching all over for instructions on how to set up my exchange
server with outlook clients  to allow for the sharing of  calendars and
contacts. I understand the concept... just would like the step by step.

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate it.

2. error 2140

3. Mail clients that AREN'T Outlook?

4. text for attachments problem

5. Migrating Lotus Notes -> Exchange 5.5

6. Outlook Calendar/Contact sharing

7. Outlook Shared Calendar/Contacts via Internet Mode?

8. sharing outlook 98 calendars and contact lists

9. Shared Contacts and Calendar in Exchange