Export/Printing Active Directory Users

Post by John Lyon » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 09:10:17

Is there an easy method to export or print the contents of
the Active Directory?  The Access interface doesn't give
me what I need.  I would like to create an Excel spread
sheet with User LName, FName, Display Name, and Primary
EMail account and other info.

Any help would be appreciated.

John Lyons
Touch America
Manager, Architecture & Systems

Export/Printing Active Directory Users

Post by Neil Hobso » Sat, 08 Jun 2002 17:04:31

I've written some VBScript code to pull certain details from user accounts,
so it would be easy to modify the code to pull any attribute stored in the
Active Directory.  I think it's really worth learning a bit of code writing
with Windows/Exchange 2000, if you're not already doing it - it can be
extremely useful.

--
Neil Hobson

Silversands
http://www.silversands.co.uk
Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
For Enterprise Systems
For Collaborative Solutions

Quote:> Is there an easy method to export or print the contents of

Post by Bryan Nyc » Sun, 09 Jun 2002 07:46:32

Quote:> Is there an easy method to export or print the contents of
> the Active Directory?  The Access interface doesn't give
> me what I need.  I would like to create an Excel spread
> sheet with User LName, FName, Display Name, and Primary
> EMail account and other info.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> John Lyons
> Touch America
> Manager, Architecture & Systems

Easiest method is with csvde:

csvde -e -f:\filename.csv

This gets ALL the info, including ALL attributes. I agree with Neil, though,
scripting is a better solution, and sooner or later, admins will need to
learn it. :-)

Bryan Nyce

Export/Printing Active Directory Users

Post by Greg » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 23:50:37

You guys kill me.  Just go to the AD right click on the user folder
and select "Export List".  This will give you a CSV file that can be
imported into Excel.

Come on guys,  KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

> Is there an easy method to export or print the contents of
> the Active Directory?  The Access interface doesn't give
> me what I need.  I would like to create an Excel spread
> sheet with User LName, FName, Display Name, and Primary
> EMail account and other info.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> John Lyons
> Touch America
> Manager, Architecture & Systems

Export/Printing Active Directory Users

Post by Neil Hobso » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 00:03:29

True, but not all fields are exposed that way.

--
Neil Hobson

Silversands
http://www.silversands.co.uk
Microsoft Gold Certified Partner
For Enterprise Systems
For Collaborative Solutions

> You guys kill me.  Just go to the AD right click on the user folder
> and select "Export List".  This will give you a CSV file that can be
> imported into Excel.

> Come on guys,  KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Quote:> > Is there an easy method to export or print the contents of
> > the Active Directory?  The Access interface doesn't give
> > me what I need.  I would like to create an Excel spread
> > sheet with User LName, FName, Display Name, and Primary
> > EMail account and other info.

> > Any help would be appreciated.

> > John Lyons
> > Touch America
> > Manager, Architecture & Systems

Export/Printing Active Directory Users

Post by dtag » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 00:33:54

become an admin, open a cmd prompt and enter
csvde -s 127.0.0.1 -r "(objectclass=user)" -f users.txt

or for everything
csvde -s 127.0.0.1 -r "(objectclass=*)" -f all.txt

you can apply output limitations by playing around with the -l flag
Martin
------------

Quote:> Is there an easy method to export or print the contents of
> the Active Directory?  The Access interface doesn't give
> me what I need.  I would like to create an Excel spread
> sheet with User LName, FName, Display Name, and Primary
> EMail account and other info.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> John Lyons
> Touch America
> Manager, Architecture & Systems

Export/Printing Active Directory Users

Post by Steve J. W. Geise » Sat, 06 Jul 2002 02:16:53

You can always down the free Directory Mate utility from MADSolutions.com
It lets you export and import particular fields from the Active Directory
pretty easily.

Steve.