Duplicate Messages Received in Exchange 2k/Outlook 2k

Duplicate Messages Received in Exchange 2k/Outlook 2k

Post by Joe » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 00:40:09

Users are receiving duplicate messages in Outlook 2000
with Service Pack 3.  We are using Exchange Server 2000
with Service Pack 3 as well.  Anyone know why this is
happening?

Duplicate Messages Received in Exchange 2k/Outlook 2k

Post by Ward Flowers [MS » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 01:24:50

Quick question: if you log on using OWA are there 2 messages in the inbox
there?

--
Ward Flowers
Exchange Support Professional

****** Disclaimer ******

Note: Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup
purposes only.

Quote:> Users are receiving duplicate messages in Outlook 2000
> with Service Pack 3.  We are using Exchange Server 2000
> with Service Pack 3 as well.  Anyone know why this is
> happening?

Duplicate Messages Received in Exchange 2k/Outlook 2k

Post by marku » Sun, 13 Apr 2003 04:48:32

We are having the same problem as well...

We have applied Post service pack 3... about two weeks
ago...

Outlook client show same time stamp different message IDs
OWA shows different time stamp.

This just started this week and is getting worse.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Quick question: if you log on using OWA are there 2

messages in the inbox
>there?

>--
>Ward Flowers
>Exchange Support Professional

>****** Disclaimer ******
confers no rights.

>Note: Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is
used for newsgroup
>purposes only.

>> Users are receiving duplicate messages in Outlook 2000
>> with Service Pack 3.  We are using Exchange Server 2000
>> with Service Pack 3 as well.  Anyone know why this is
>> happening?

>.

Duplicate Messages Received in Exchange 2k/Outlook 2k

Post by Jay Yan [MSF » Tue, 15 Apr 2003 20:35:38

Dear Joe,

Thank you for your post.

Please open the duplicate messages in Outlook and click View->Options. Are
the message IDs of both messages same? In some cases, the mail client may
send the message twice because it thought that the first one failed to be
sent. If that is the case, the message IDs should be different.

Does the problem occur on each message or only on specific messages?

Does the problem affect all users? The problem can also occur if the
mailbox is corrupt so that it creates two items for the same message.

Is there any Exchange 5.5 server in the organization? The problem can mixed
Exchange Server organization. For detailed information on this issue,
please view the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

E-Mail Messages Sent to a Secondary Recipient Are Delivered Two Times
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;329043

The following Microsoft Knowledge Base article describes several scenarios
of the problem of receiving duplicate e-mails in Exchange 2000. Please view
it and see whether it is helpful to this issue:

XADM: Duplicate E-Mail in Exchange 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;269408

Hope the information if helpful.

Have a good day!

Sincerely,

Jay Yan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------

| Subject: Duplicate Messages Received in Exchange 2k/Outlook 2k
| Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:40:09 -0700

|       charset="iso-8859-1"
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general
|
| Users are receiving duplicate messages in Outlook 2000
| with Service Pack 3.  We are using Exchange Server 2000
| with Service Pack 3 as well.  Anyone know why this is
| happening?

Duplicate Messages Received in Exchange 2k/Outlook 2k

Post by Joe » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 02:37:49

The message IDs of the duplicated messages are
identical.  They don't just duplicate either, they have
been sent 6 to 7 times and keep going still today from
last week.  The time stamps are different though.  This
only happens from 3 different users and only from a few
particualr emails.  Mail sent since then does not have
this problem.  We do not have any exchange 5.5 servers at
all.  We are running exchange 2000 in native mode.  What
do think the problem is, and how may we solve it?
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Dear Joe,

>Thank you for your post.

>Please open the duplicate messages in Outlook and click
View->Options. Are
>the message IDs of both messages same? In some cases,

the mail client may
Quote:>send the message twice because it thought that the first
one failed to be
>sent. If that is the case, the message IDs should be
different.

>Does the problem occur on each message or only on
specific messages?

>Does the problem affect all users? The problem can also
occur if the
>mailbox is corrupt so that it creates two items for the
same message.

>Is there any Exchange 5.5 server in the organization?

The problem can mixed
Quote:>Exchange Server organization. For detailed information
on this issue,
>please view the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
article:

>E-Mail Messages Sent to a Secondary Recipient Are
Delivered Two Times
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-
US;329043

>The following Microsoft Knowledge Base article describes
several scenarios
>of the problem of receiving duplicate e-mails in

Exchange 2000. Please view
>it and see whether it is helpful to this issue:

>XADM: Duplicate E-Mail in Exchange 2000
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-
US;269408

>Hope the information if helpful.

>Have a good day!

>Sincerely,

>Jay Yan
>Microsoft Online Partner Support

>Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security

>When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
your newsreader so
>that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
confers no rights.

>--------------------

>| Subject: Duplicate Messages Received in Exchange
2k/Outlook 2k
>| Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:40:09 -0700

>|   charset="iso-8859-1"
>| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general

microsoft.public.exchange2000.general:33882

Quote:>| NNTP-Posting-Host: TK2MSFTNGXA14 10.40.1.166

>| Users are receiving duplicate messages in Outlook 2000
>| with Service Pack 3.  We are using Exchange Server
2000
>| with Service Pack 3 as well.  Anyone know why this is
>| happening?
>|

>.

Duplicate Messages Received in Exchange 2k/Outlook 2k

Post by Jay Yan [MSF » Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:22:17

Dear Joe,

Thank you for the update. I appreciate your time.

Now that the message IDs of those duplicate e-mails are the same, the
problem can occur if the mailbox store has problems. I suggest that we use
the ISINTEG utility to test and fix any inconsistencies that it finds in
the database.

IMPORTANT: Please ensure that you backup the database before using the
utility.

The typical usage of this utility is:

Isinteg -s <server_name> -fix -test alltests

For more information on this tool, please view the following Microsoft
Knowledge Base article:

XADM: Description of the Isinteg Utility
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;182081

If the problem still occurs, we can enable Message Tracking in Exchange
System Manager and track the duplicate messages. Then check to see whether
there is any problem during the delivery of those messages.

More Information
=====

XCON: General Troubleshooting for Exchange 2000 Transport Issues
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;257265

XADM: Using the Message Tracking Center to Track a Message
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;262162

Hope the information is helpful.

Have a good day!

Jay Yan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------

| Subject: RE: Duplicate Messages Received in Exchange 2k/Outlook 2k
| Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:37:49 -0700

| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange2000.general
|
| The message IDs of the duplicated messages are
| identical.  They don't just duplicate either, they have
| been sent 6 to 7 times and keep going still today from
| last week.  The time stamps are different though.  This
| only happens from 3 different users and only from a few
| particualr emails.  Mail sent since then does not have
| this problem.  We do not have any exchange 5.5 servers at
| all.  We are running exchange 2000 in native mode.  What
| do think the problem is, and how may we solve it?

| >|
| >| Users are receiving duplicate messages in Outlook 2000
| >| with Service Pack 3.  We are using Exchange Server
| 2000
| >| with Service Pack 3 as well.  Anyone know why this is
| >| happening?
| >|

| >.

Duplicate Messages Received in Exchange 2k/Outlook 2k

Post by Jack Wilso » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 05:45:23

One thing I have seen, if you are low on hard drive
space, it will cause duplicate messages. Basically it
causes the Information Store to quit. Once drive space
frees up, multiple messages come through....just my .02
worth.

Post by Marku » Fri, 18 Apr 2003 22:28:28

It's not that...  70GB free...
I will try the Consistency checker and let you all know...

1. Exchange 2k and Outlook 2k, additional mailboxes having missing messages

We have an Exchange 2k server sp3 where some users can
open different mailboxes (on different domains). On
Outlook 2k the user profile is configured to open
additional mailboxes and displays them correctly. The
problem is that certain messages don't appear in those
additional mailboxes. The number of new messages is
displayed correctly but we can't find the new messages. I
couldn't find a rule for the disapearing messages because
for the same sender, one message appear and others don't.
We are still able to see the missing messages when we are
logged in directy to the mailbox (not as additional
mailbox). Do somebody have a solution to correct this
problem? Thanks for help!

Jean-Marc Jutzet

2. Partitions for a new Exchange 2000 !!!

3. Migrate exchange 5.5 to 2k accounts on 2k server cannot receive

4. Groupwise users can't send mails to e2k users

5. exchange 2k and isa 2k - no mail received

6. Exporting x500, x400, and SMTP

7. Exchange 5.5 and Windows 2000

8. Need advice for getting started on programming Exchange 2k / Outlook 2k

9. Outlook 2K slow connect on Exchange 2K

10. Exchange 2k w/Outlook 2k - Do not Deliver Until- Question

11. Journal Option Using Outlook 2K and Exchange 2K