NTbackup question

Post by Flind » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 05:46:16

Hi all,

Just wondering - if a user accesses email etc. during a backup session, does it
corrupt the backup?

I have been having backup issues - backup works fine for a few days, then get
errors (backup of log files corrupt, will not restore...).  Then the next day
the backup works fine.

I have even run two backups at night (like 2am and 4am) and have the first one
come up corrupt - but the second one was fine.

Any help appreciated,
Rob

NTbackup question

Post by Matt Richoux [MSFT » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 07:17:11

No a user accessing mail won't corrupt the backup, are you getting checksum
errors when they fail, what events do you see in the app log, you could have
a hardware problem.

--
Matt Richoux
Exchange Support

Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup
purposes only.

Quote:> Hi all,

> Just wondering - if a user accesses email etc. during a backup session,
does it
> corrupt the backup?

> I have been having backup issues - backup works fine for a few days, then
get
> errors (backup of log files corrupt, will not restore...).  Then the next
day
> the backup works fine.

> I have even run two backups at night (like 2am and 4am) and have the first
one
> come up corrupt - but the second one was fine.

> Any help appreciated,
> Rob

NTbackup question

Post by Flind » Mon, 16 Jun 2003 04:50:38

Thanks for the response.  When I get to work on monday I will post some logs.

Yes, I am getting checksum errors (I want to say event ID 477 - will check on
monday) on days with the bad backups.  On days with good backups = no checksum
errors.

What kind of hardware problem do you think it might be?  It's a brand new
system (once again, will get stats on monday) with a built in adaptec SCSI
controller using a 4 drive raid5 config.  I also just ran a "verify" on the
array (using adaptec software).

What gets me is the lack of consistancy - it works OK for a while, then a  day
or two of bad backups, then works fine again.

Rob

>No a user accessing mail won't corrupt the backup, are you getting checksum
>errors when they fail, what events do you see in the app log, you could have
>a hardware problem.

>--
>Matt Richoux
>Exchange Support

>Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup
>purposes only.

>> Hi all,

>> Just wondering - if a user accesses email etc. during a backup session,
>does it
>> corrupt the backup?

>> I have been having backup issues - backup works fine for a few days, then
>get
>> errors (backup of log files corrupt, will not restore...).  Then the next
>day
>> the backup works fine.

>> I have even run two backups at night (like 2am and 4am) and have the first
>one
>> come up corrupt - but the second one was fine.

>> Any help appreciated,
>> Rob

1. NTBackup question.

Just got my Compaq 40/80 DLT Drive, and am about to move off of ArcServe and
network backups and use NT Backup local to the Exchange server.  Assuming I
do the full online's daily, and circular logging is disabled, will NTBackup
flush the logs on its own after backups are performed??

Thanks,
Larry

2. Exchange list server

3. NTBackup question

4. Inbox Assistant Rules

5. ntbackup question with exchange

6. Connect Exchange 2000 to NT4 Exchange 5.5 with AD Connector?

7. Ex5 sp1 (NT4sp3) NTBackup question

8. Newgroups not available to news client like Outlook Express

9. NTBACKUP question

10. Another NTBackup restore question

11. veritas supplied ntbackup and MS supplied ntbackup

12. !!! NT4.0 - Question about NTBACKUP/Batch Command !!!